Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tuning noob questions  (Read 2777 times)
Jonb91101

« on: August 08, 2020, 12:44:51 PM »

I am new to all of this and have dug into the me7.1.1 platform. I'm in the states and have a 2.5L VW Jetta. I bought a ktag box/cable and have already accomplished getting into boot mode and extracting the 3 files. So I feel like I've done pretty good. I have extensive automotive electronic background +solder skills, but don't know what I'm doing when it comes to tuning...

My main question is, if I buy a used ecu that is already tuned by a pretty big tuning company:

A. If I try to immo defeat the already tuned ECU are there any chances I can screw something up. Also I'm curious if I send it off somewhere could THEY screw it up.

B. I have an automatic and the ECU is for manual. Can I copy the map file to my ecu and it just work?

C. What's stopping someone from taking and tuned ecu and putting it into boot mode and copying the tune for a friend or whoever/making a backup of the ECU for yourself? Are there security measures setup to stop people from doing that?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate any feedback.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 01:33:36 PM »

A. If I try to immo defeat the already tuned ECU are there any chances I can screw something up. Also I'm curious if I send it off somewhere could THEY screw it up.

Always a chance, but doubtful, as long as you have a backup of your eeprom and flash and known good boot mode setup

B. I have an automatic and the ECU is for manual. Can I copy the map file to my ecu and it just work?

Generally yes, but the EEPROM will need recoding (engine recode)

C. What's stopping someone from taking and tuned ecu and putting it into boot mode and copying the tune for a friend or whoever/making a backup of the ECU for yourself? Are there security measures setup to stop people from doing that?

Nothing, even if there is a riser.

Yes, there are methods, but not worth discussing here or anywhere else. Anybody set on "protecting" their OMG so great ME7.1.x tune is flat out delusional

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
jtbrand

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 05:15:54 PM »

awesome thank you for the quick reply. So i am working with the me7check and using the files created from ktag. Im assuming this is only able to check the maps file from ktag and not the eprom file? Ktag outputs 4 files .bin .epr .fls and one more file that doesnt have an extension. Im checking the fls file (what im assuming is the map file) and I keep getting this

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.836]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jon>C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\ME7Check.exe "C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\New folder (2)\07_2.FLS"
==============================================================================
ME7Check v1.12 (c) mki, 06/2004-05/2012
Checking file C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\New folder (2)\07_2.FLS (size=1048576)
Reading Version Strings...
-> Bootrom Version = FF.FF (UNKNOWN)!!        ** NOT OK **
-> EPK string was not found                   ** NOT OK **
-> ECUID data table not found                 ** NOT OK **
-> file not recognized as ME7, stopping analysis
Jonb91101

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 07:07:09 PM »

doing more research it appears that i have st10 ecus which the me7check cant do anything with..... anyone have some resources for st10 ecu eprom files??
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 07:08:38 PM »

doing more research it appears that i have st10 ecus which the me7check cant do anything with..... anyone have some resources for st10 ecu eprom files??

me7check isn't for eeprom, its for the flash, and you should really be using me7sum instead (which also won't do ST10 images, unfortunately)

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
_nameless

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 05:07:31 AM »

Kess and ktag checksum the file before you flash so if it is st10 then youre fine

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: