Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1.8T Coolant sensor popping out  (Read 4673 times)
K92

« on: November 21, 2020, 04:36:04 AM »

What could be the cause of the issue ? Have done it 5 times already. Happens only when WOT.
First time it happened when i increased boost. Every time it pops, all related parts are swapped out ( oem ) . Clip is installed correctly.
GolfSportWagen

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »

What could be the cause of the issue ? Have done it 5 times already. Happens only when WOT.
First time it happened when i increased boost. Every time it pops, all related parts are swapped out ( oem ) . Clip is installed correctly.

Perhaps boost leaking past head gasket into coolant system?
justinvw2646

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 07:20:16 PM »

Cooling fans run on high and low?? Thermostat opening properly?? Watch coolant temp when driving. Should be between 94-100c. My guess is a restriction in the return line to the coolant bottle, or the vehicle is at least partially overheating. WOT high revs, water pump spinning faster, higher pressure in the cooling system and the weak link is the crappy clip on the ECT
K92

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:16:45 AM »

I am trying to think of all possible causes to fix this. Cooling fans working, thermostat working, new water pump, no overheating. Head has been also reworked. Coolant problem aside, now the car wont even start, while cranking is backfiring into exhaust, so i think timing belt has also jumped one tooth.
Coolant problem accurs only with hight boost ( 1.5 - 1.9bar ) and only when the boost duration is longer. 1 gear wot everything ok, usually happens with 2 gear. Funny thing is on Friday i made logs with 3rd gear and everything was ok and on Sa accelerated 1st to red and 2nd to redline and popped .
Will start to diagnose on Monday. Will check for blockage in coolant system. Thanks for advice
K92

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 05:36:18 AM »

I am trying to think of all possible causes to fix this. Cooling fans working, thermostat working, new water pump, no overheating. Head has been also reworked. Coolant problem aside, now the car wont even start, while cranking is backfiring into exhaust, so i think timing belt has also jumped one tooth.
Coolant problem accurs only with hight boost ( 1.5 - 1.9bar ) and only when the boost duration is longer. 1 gear wot everything ok, usually happens with 2 gear. Funny thing is on Friday i made logs with 3rd gear and everything was ok and on Sa accelerated 1st to red and 2nd to redline and popped .
Will start to diagnose on Monday. Will check for blockage in coolant system. Thanks for advice
Forgot to add that, sometimes under hight boost there is this high pitch sound like tires squeking and when i think about that it reminds me air passing thin metal. So i guess headgasket is also possibility. Might need to buy arp bolts.
adam-

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 07:07:29 AM »

A headgasket isn't a "sometimes works" item.  Fitting ARP bolts won't fix your issue.
justinvw2646

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 01:17:57 PM »

If you are K03/K04 the high pitched noise is likely loose bolts that secure the turbo the the exhaust manifold.
K92

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »

If you are K03/K04 the high pitched noise is likely loose bolts that secure the turbo the the exhaust manifold.
GT2860RS. Checked that .
K92

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 01:31:24 AM »

Well got issues sorted.
No starting was caused by camshaft sensor and most likely sensor is popping out due to plastic clip.
It seems sensor gets so hot and transfers heat to plastic clip and in time it deforms. Made custom metal clip like in older VW .
So far everything good.
K92

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 01:31:59 AM »

Well got issues sorted.
No starting was caused by camshaft sensor and most likely sensor is popping out due to plastic clip.
It seems sensor gets so hot and transfers heat to plastic clip and in time it deforms. Made custom metal clip like in older VW .
So far everything good. Temps are ok and everything seems to be working.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: