Pages: [1]
Author Topic: E85 UK  (Read 2686 times)
SlashProm

« on: November 29, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »

I'd like to try an e85 tune once I get my bigger injectors. As you probably know e85 is not available in the UK. And there must be a massive illuminati cover up on google via the big bad oil companies because i can't get any information on it at all.

Can I use denatured ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol and mix it with petrol to make a blend and safely use it in my car? Or is water methanol injection my only option in the UK? Obviously at £5 a litre it wouldn't be a full time thing. I just wanted to know if it's safe. Or whether the denaturing chemicals will damage my engine?

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/sunoco-e85-racing-fuel-aaoe85racing-25/

Found 1 supplier so far. It's 85% ethanol race fuel. So obviously way more consistent than e85 from a pump. But it would be nice if I could mix my own and try different blends.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 03:15:52 PM by SlashProm » Logged
Blazius

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »

You could use acetone, toulene and other stuff, you have to be very careful with the mixtures though because they can be very harsh to some components in the fuel system.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299551400_Performance_and_emissions_analysis_on_using_acetone-gasoline_fuel_blends_in_spark-ignition_engine

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280934035_A_Study_of_the_Combustion_of_Alcohol-Gasoline_Blends_in_Internal_Combustion_Engines

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280949114_Experimental_Study_of_Gasoline_-Alcohol_Blends_on_Performance_of_Internal_Combustion_Engine

etc.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 08:39:18 PM »

Blending E85 won't get you far. As Blazius said toluene or acetone are the only readily available mix options.

Or water/meth water/alcohol or just water injection.

Or just give up and work on a pump gas tune.

You'll need a real motor (2.7t or better) to make decent power, of course. Don't bother with big turbos, they're pointless on normal gasoline.

The 1.8t platform really does kind of suck in comparison.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
SlashProm

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 01:45:14 AM »

There's no replacement for displacement right? Cheesy

I never thought about Toluene . Thanks for the reading material Blazius, I'll be sure to have a good read through it later on today. I figured WMI would be a cheaper and better option in the long run, but an Alcohol tune would be something that I could try out for a small investment if I'm collecting BT Parts anyway.

@Nyet, if I'm reading that right, do you mean "Don't bother with pump gas tune for a BT? Always use WMI/e85 type tunes? Sorry it's early here lol
justinvw2646

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »

Use duckduckgo.com as a search engine. They don’t steal your info AND don’t have a liberal agenda manipulating what you see in search results.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 03:23:51 PM »

@Nyet, if I'm reading that right, do you mean "Don't bother with pump gas tune for a BT? Always use WMI/e85 type tunes? Sorry it's early here lol

Yep. Big turbos are pointless w/o good gas unless you run super low compression. Some motors are better than others. In particular, the 2.7t doesn't like shit gasoline but you can still make a lot more power with less boost then the toy 1.8ts
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:25:50 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
justinvw2646

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »

I had forgotten how outrageous fuel prices are elsewhere (I’m in the US). I just this evening paid $1.83/gallon for pump E85. With the price of the fuel in the link you provided sure seems like water/meth would be a good investment, especially if you commute with the car. My car has quite a bit more pep after switching to E85, but there is nowhere near enough of a difference from pump gas to justify that kind of expense imo.
adam-

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 05:23:00 AM »

Ecotune (Glasgow) sell it IIRC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: