Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME7.5 eeprom matching questions. (Can a mod please move this to /Flashing, sry)  (Read 3992 times)
biocyd3

I was just wondering if someone could explain to me why when flashing an ECU to use in a car, in my case an 04 GTi 1.8t, the eeprom from the old ecu has to follow to the new one? What does it reference? or what references it to confirm a match? Also, can you just code the vin/coding/del immo to make it compatible? or does it have to be identical code?

Also if someone might have any insight on my issue. I recently lost power while driving. I went to read codes and straight away noticed I had no CEL light. So I assumed my ecu popped or main relay, etc. When I got my car home I checked relays, unhooked 02 sensors, etc. Nothing still. So I pulled my ECU and found corrosion in the connector.. I attempted to clean it and replaced the connector seal[it was ripped....], and reinstalled it. I saw the CEL light, no start, no more CEL... after a few minutes with key off, then on again, I could see the CEL light up. As if it faults out and fails until soft reset[or cool down]. Sometimes when I turned the key on it would light up, but almost a minute after key on..

So I grabbed a spare ecu and my bench cable and tried to pull the eeprom from my orig ecu. No Comms at all, not even in bootmode. So I pulled the eeprom chip and swapped it into the spare. For info, My orig was HS, spare is HF. Tried the new ecu and still nothing. New ecu with old ee chip with immo off and HS tune flashed. Before I took it to my car I could read it from bench cable in VCDS. Now the new ECU is NO COMM as well??

My question is if anyone knows of a situation that would or could damage the eeprom chip itself and cause the ecu to fail? I use a hot air station and have plently of exp swapping chips so Im confident I didnt damage the chip during swap.

one more question if I could. I have a bunch of 8e0 audi 1.8t ecus. Could I flash ee anf tune onto them without issue? I dont know of a reason I couldnt but I want to ask in case there is any addition hardware or parameters that would prevent it. Thx in advance.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:09:57 PM by biocyd3 » Logged
_nameless

the hs to hf should work just fine hs is manual 5 speed hf is auto both 02 and 1:1 hardware wise. if the swap was successful the car would have started but you would have had a few codes for missing message from tcu (hf is auto only software) and code for eeprom incorrectly coded from the manual coding from the hs eeprom. if you use a 8e0 ecu just read the eeprom from that ecu and turn off the immo. its not right for the car but it will get it to run, 018f is cross flashable with your mk4 file but af,ak,bc are not they have a different  bootrom and wont cross flash. although like i said if you immo off the the af,ak,bc it will still run the car

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
biocyd3

ok, so the eeprom has to match the ecu, not the flash? Or is that only in the case of using the 8e0 ecu? In which case would I be able to flash my HS tune to the 8e0? Or is the hardware difference just going to allow me to immo off and run what was on 8e0 ecu or 8e0 tune?
doublerwest

ok, so the eeprom has to match the ecu, not the flash? Or is that only in the case of using the 8e0 ecu? In which case would I be able to flash my HS tune to the 8e0? Or is the hardware difference just going to allow me to immo off and run what was on 8e0 ecu or 8e0 tune?
well it has soft coding for the manual auto and region... what not information in it... if the tune bin and the immo bin dont match itll throw the shut down code im pretty sure. do you have the original immo file if you move this stuff around it may brick you from starting by throwing the shut down code.

W357
biocyd3

I do have the orig eeprom somewhere. After a few days I remembered the ecu I tried was one of the ones I got that didnt work. Which confuses me bc it did work enough for me to pull/push eeprom and flash in obd and bootmode. It even nearly started the car... Then it failed again. I eventually found a compatible ecu from my pile and flashed my HS tune and used a virgin eeprom and got my car running again.

My orig HS isnt getting voltage to most the board when compared with a known good ecu. Would you be able to tell me if this chip is responsible for power regulation? I think I rem reading it somewhere. The only schems I could find were block diagrams and it difficult to try and follow the traces. :|

thx for responding.
doublerwest

I do have the orig eeprom somewhere. After a few days I remembered the ecu I tried was one of the ones I got that didnt work. Which confuses me bc it did work enough for me to pull/push eeprom and flash in obd and bootmode. It even nearly started the car... Then it failed again. I eventually found a compatible ecu from my pile and flashed my HS tune and used a virgin eeprom and got my car running again.

My orig HS isnt getting voltage to most the board when compared with a known good ecu. Would you be able to tell me if this chip is responsible for power regulation? I think I rem reading it somewhere. The only schems I could find were block diagrams and it difficult to try and follow the traces. :|

thx for responding.
That is out of my realm these ecus are cheap enough to burn um up and throw them away for now....I know with electrical if you repair one thing another will fail with in a short period not allways but usually ... What are you hoping to accomplish with repairing the broken one? Just for know how or spare as they all seem to be pinned out the same and use different chip sets to change ecm operating speed and a lot of other things.. just different software and o2 sensors are pinned differently per the wide band and narrow band. Or you trying to pull the immo or tune bin?

W357
navatar_

thx for responding.

Don't have an ME7.5 on hand but as far as I remember you've got the right IC.

It has a thermal plate underneath for cooling which sits on a blob of solder so you need to loosen the blob up to get it off the board. A simple method for me is to get 2 HOT irons and place them in the indents on both sides of the chip on top of the plate and patiently wait until it wiggles loose. Obviously you need to lift the legs first. The board sinks a lot of heat so it takes a while to get up to temp.

If you have a rework station that works well too. Be very careful if you use a hot air gun, the amount of time it takes to get up to temp makes it easy to bubble the board.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:51:49 AM by navatar_ » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: