Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ideas needed, NA R32 regards ignition under WOT, stock with toluene 10pc  (Read 2453 times)
R32Dude

Hi all, I need some quick ideas from you guys.
I have a 2008 R32 golf , NA , stock and I'm trying to squeeze all I can out of it.
Its a me7.1.1 st10 so me7logger doesn't work, but vcds can log anything listed in the FR.  Four values take 0.1 sec.
The problem is that under WOT in 3rd gear or even from a brisk launch, the logs show no torque intervention from the dsg, but timing is pulled, sometimes upto 6 degrees average, starting around 1600 rpm and does go lower but continues to 4500 and sometimes above.  I have shell vpower 98 RON plus 10% toluene and running 0.86 lambda. Apart from the lowered lambda, from 0.9, everything else is stock.  What do I do next? Is the factory timing so bad that I need to  retard it, or do I go even richer?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 02:06:08 PM »

NA motors should never knock on good gas, period. You literally should only need toluene if you are boosting.

You're barking up the wrong tree.

That motor isn't worth touching btw. You'll pick up 5 hp max. Pointless to tune.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
R32Dude

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 08:06:42 AM »

Problem sorted. Ecu needed battery to be disconnected for a while. Damn thing remembers knock retards for a long,long time. Now no retard on the toluene mix.
GolfSportWagen

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 02:32:46 PM »

Problem sorted. Ecu needed battery to be disconnected for a while. Damn thing remembers knock retards for a long,long time. Now no retard on the toluene mix.

I would not suggest experimenting with fuels unless you're OK with serious and expensive engine damage. A professionally tuned R32 engine doesn't see much power improvement over OEM because AFR and ignition timing are not what holds the engine back, airflow is. Think cams, exhaust, etc. The OE R32 especially the MKV is a well developed engine. To achieve significantly higher power requires turning the engine into a high performance oriented engine or the use of forced induction - which is generally the best choice when done properly because you get large power gains across the entire operating range.
R32Dude

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 07:38:51 PM »

Absolutely, but I gave toluene a go since its already in gasoline. "Fuel A" unleaded reference used by EPA has already about 17% toluene and 30% total aromatics (benzene ring containing chemicals like toluene xylene etc). I would not risk methanol, that's for sure.
Basically it proved that the ecu is factory tuned to find the best safe advance and keep it there for quite some time, rather than testing the limits often. Once the toluene was added to 10% by volume and battery disconnected for a while, the retarding vanished.
Next time I get around to it, I will try just 5% toluene.
The whole idea was to see why retarding was happening, and it was because of the stock timing being a bit too aggressive, although I did not expect it to remember it for so long, thinking that the ecu would check at least every time the car had been turned on and off over a few days.  The toluene gave the best 0-60 over days of testing with dragy.
BlackT

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 10:42:28 PM »

On ME7.1  what KR have with disconnecting battery?  Huh

I didn't find anything about that ME7 store those data in EEPROM?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 10:49:25 PM »

On ME7.1  what KR have with disconnecting battery?  Huh

I didn't find anything about that ME7 store those data in EEPROM?

All his futzing with fuel mixes may have caused his fuel trims to drift? I don't think there are any long term KR trims but I could be wrong.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: