Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BEL Allroad - Stock tune - Throttle cut below 4k RPM  (Read 5115 times)
michael66899

« on: January 16, 2021, 05:14:39 PM »

I just picked up a 2004 AR, read the bin and then did some logs to get my baseline before I started making changes and for some reason it's cutting throttle before 4k RPM.  100% stock tune, to my knowledge and based on a bin file I pulled off the ECU, has downpipes and exhaust but no other mods.  I just did a pressure test up to 20psi and verified crack pressure on the WG's.  No codes other than a heating code for one of the secondary o2's.

I don't see anything else in the logs that indicate why it would be pulling throttle.  Where it finally does go to full throttle also happens to be the same time as the cam changeover but I'm not sure what that tells me.

I'm sure it's something obvious but I feel like I'm losing my mind over here.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 06:03:21 PM »

Looks like slow path torque intervention. Normal, seen this on several stock cars. Keep in mind k03s spool much faster than the PID can handle, and ME7 may close throttle to mitigate boost spikes. With larger turbos you don't see this as much, and the PID can do most of it.

Gets more severe if the wastegates start getting sticky or the n75 starts behaving differently as it gets older.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are bucking, throwing codes, or the car stops making requested boost properly.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
michael66899

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 07:14:06 PM »

That's kind of what I was thinking since this car does have catless downpipes on it, just haven't logged a stock car in years and thought I might be missing something.  I tried a known good N75 as well with the same results.

I'll start making some adjustments now and see what happens.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 07:34:48 PM »

That's kind of what I was thinking since this car does have catless downpipes on it

This is it. You will need to adjust the PID if you want pure WG control of the turbos. However, be warned, it is extremely difficult with K03s; they spool very very fast and behave very differently in even slightly different conditions. Believe it or not, ME7 torque control is actually very good, and overcomes a lot of the problems that pure speed density and dbw small frame turbo cars have, especially in mostly stock trim (intake, throttle body, intercoolers, downpipes, etc.)

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
BlackT

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 08:03:44 PM »

Nyet, BEL have K03s on stock engine?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 08:28:32 PM »

Nyet, BEL have K03s on stock engine?

Yes.

ECUx Plot

BlackT

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 03:04:05 AM »

Yes.
Any info about compresor/turbine size?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 01:28:26 PM »

Any info about compresor/turbine size?

Same as APB

ECUx Plot

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 01:32:46 PM »

Though p/ns are different

078-145-701/2-S;
K03 turbo for S4/A6 2.7T "APB"; < 4B-3-000001 A6/AR "BEL"

078-145-701/2-Q/T
K03 turbo for 4B-3-000001-> A6/AR "BEL" 2.7T

I believe the geometry is identical. Unsure of flanges, there may be some variation (auto vs manual)

ECUx Plot

BlackT

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 03:20:21 PM »

Question is will be difference to upgrade from ARE stock turbos to BEL?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 10:10:28 PM »

Question is will be difference to upgrade from ARE stock turbos to BEL?

Why on earth would you swap one set of K03s for another for zero benefit? The 2.7t is enough of a PITA to turbo swap you may as well get K04s

ECUx Plot

BlackT

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 12:36:51 AM »

Why on earth would you swap one set of K03s for another for zero benefit? The 2.7t is enough of a PITA to turbo swap you may as well get K04s
Beacuse I did't know that ARE have K03s too
Chill man
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 12:44:51 AM »

Only the RS4 and RS6 had non-k03s

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: