Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME7 swap into a more modern vehicle  (Read 4491 times)
justinvw2646

« on: February 11, 2021, 07:41:37 AM »

So at the risk of being flamed I wanted to ask for experience/advice from you all. I have a 2002 1.8T GTI that is self tuned K04 hybrid E85 making good power, but the body of the car is rotting away. I also own a 2012 2.0TFSI DSG GTI that is burning oil like its job. I have been working on VW professionally for a very long time and am not a huge fan of the TSI engine compared to my beloved 1.8T's. So my question is, has anyone swapped an ME7 1.8T into a vehicle originally equipped with a TSI and DSG?? My biggest concerns are cooling fan operation (given the PWM signal the modern stuff uses vs the cooling fan module with ground signal from the ECM the MK4's use, it is unclear to me if the ME7 ECU also uses a PWM or if it just pulls the signal wire to ground) and tied into that is A/C system function. From what I have read most of the problems with DSG swapped cars manifest from the lack of proper ABS/instrument cluster stuff for vehicle speed, but given this car is native DSG it seems to me most of that will be a non issue.

Justin
justinvw2646

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 07:44:00 AM »

Or, is it time for me to move on from ME7 and get my feet wet with MED17. The 2012 has APR software....and it sucks.
_nameless

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:34:51 AM »

Anything possible with enough time and money with that said I'd think cooling fans would be the least of worries. I dont think anything will be compatible electronically between the 2. Throttle pedal pot is not the same, cluster won't read tac and will be a complete Christmas tree. The dsg won't bolt up to the 1.8t. The engine side mount might be the same but I doubt it, you'll need a fsi trans or other of later variants that share the early watercooled bolt pattern and flywheel bolt pattern. That's just off the top of my head. If you choose  to go forward with the swap make sure you document  it would be an interesting read. Best of luck

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
justinvw2646

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »

I didn't know the bolt patterns were different on the TSI engine. Learn something new every day. Thanks Marty.
BlackT

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 03:55:20 PM »

Yust rebuild that TSI engine and you can get more power and more liner torque curve than on 1.8T
For me that would be big downgrade to put in 1.8T, but that is only my opinion
What HP are your goal?
justinvw2646

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 08:00:08 AM »

300-350 WHP. It will always be a daily driver. Anything more than that and I feel like the car will be useless at anything under 60mph. More than anything I'm hung up on having finally gotten to a point where I feel like I know enough to be dangerous with ME7 and from everything I have read MED17 is a bunch more complex. Just a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of starting over again. You are correct from a power perspective the TSI is better in every way. I just swear these engines find a new way to break in a big way on a daily basis  Grin
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »

IMO the 1.8t is a gutless wonder.

2.7t and you have something worth doing.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
justinvw2646

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »

I was wondering how long it would be before you stumbled across this thread Nyet. I've only ever worked on a handful of 2.7t's. None of which were tuned. At least the go fast ones have a reason to "sweat" all over the belly pan  Grin
_nameless

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 09:49:24 PM »

I'd take a vrt over a 2.7 any day

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: