Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electric fan question  (Read 4218 times)
savages4

« on: May 11, 2012, 11:39:51 PM »

I have recently replaced the lower radiator hose sensor/switch that controls the fan.  I previously had it jumped in the low position and was getting operation of the electric fan.  Now with it back on the new sensor I only get fan operation with the a/c on even when it's heated up nicely.. how does your b5 s4 behave?  I feel like it should at least be in low mode?  Is there something else besides this sensor that could be faulty?  I feel like if it will go into the low fan mode with it jumped, it should have no problem with the sensor plugged in right?
diagnosticator

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 07:09:58 AM »

It is normal for the right side condensor fan to run when the A/C compressor is active. The left side fan will not run unless the upper coolant temp sensor and or the lower rad hose coolant temp sensor indicate the coolant temp is higher than the maximum operating temp setpoint. The sensors are not switches, they are temp dependant resistors. The sensor resistance decreases as temp increases, resulting in the temp voltage from the sensor to increase with rising temperature. The ECU provides the sensor with +5vdc supply voltage, and the return voltage back to the ECU increases up to ~ 4.9 vdc at the max temp signal from the sensor.  The ECU turns the rad fan on at some increased sensor voltage/temp signal. <+~4.9 vdc.   The rad fan does not run most of the time. It will only start up when idling in traffic, at lights, is hot weather, with the temp gage above the normal runnign temp.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: