Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ECU EEPROM read failure (error=0x01)  (Read 3364 times)
GarrettB

« on: July 20, 2021, 08:09:26 PM »

Hello! I'm new to the group and recently had success reading an eeprom from an immo3 ecu with ArgDub's tool, modifying the file for immo off with turboat's EeepromTool, then writing it back using ArgDub's tool in bootmode. Immo off for engine swap, yay!

Now I'm working on another vehicle, this one with immo2 and I can't seem to get ArgDub's tool to read it. It passes the initial communication with the ECU then starts reading the EEPROM, the progress dots get mostly across the terminal window then it says "FAIL". I've tried different baudrate switches, but the baud rate shows 10400 each time. Here is a copy of the terminal window. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Code:
PS C:\me7_95040_v1.31> .\me7_95040.exe --OBD -p 4 -r ecu.bin
Ver: 1.31
Com Port: 4
Baud Rate: 10400
Opening COM4 ... OK
Initiating communication ... OK
ECU ID response: 021906018M
                 MOTRONIC ME7.1  G
                 SoftCod: 00031, WSC: 23344
Reading EEPROM ......................................................................FAIL. (error=0x01)
Closing COM4
GarrettB

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 09:00:43 AM »

In reading the ME7 EEPROM programmer thread, I see now that the baud rate is fixed for OBD mode and the baud rate options are for boot mode.

Thanks for your input on this. Please post the screen output that shows the error messages.

The baud rate option is intended to be used in boot mode. With --OBD option baud rate is fixed at 10400, as far as I know, that's the only speed allowed by kwp1281 protocol.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:10:15 AM by GarrettB » Logged
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 09:24:52 AM »

Read in bootmode
GarrettB

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 09:47:13 AM »

...still reading in ME7 EEPROM programmer thread and it seems I should try unplugging the cluster and/or removing the ecu and trying a bench setup. So glad all this info is in here Smiley

Correct, no issues on the bench.  Another thing I did was dis-assemble and remove the extra wires coming out of my junkyard ECU connecter. (it was fully populated with wires) There's only a couple now.
  I haven't gone back to try the ECU in the car again.  My first attempt at connecting was with 3.0.  After I realized I was using 3.0 I then switched to 3.1 but at that time I hadn't been using a 5-10 minute wait period.
  Wondering if I should just unplug my instrument cluster?  Still being a little cautious about actually putting my good ECU in my bench setup.  Probably just paranoid.

I should add that I was waiting 30-60 seconds (powered down) for all my experimenting prior to this but that doesn't seem like it was enough.  I noticed the PCB does have two fairly large capacitors (compared to the majority of the microscopic one's used on most PCB's) so those might take a while to dis-charge.

UPDATE:
 Unplugged my instrument cluster and was able to get a clean read (no failures at least) on my first try; ECU installed in car.   Will flash that file to my spare ECU tonight.  Do the ol' switchero tomorrow. 

UPDATE:
Flashed my spare ECU.  Connected with my genuine vag-com cable and the VIN (etc) info that comes up matches the ECU in my car.  me7_95040 -SKC reports same skc code as what's in my car as well.  Lookin' good!
GarrettB

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 09:49:33 AM »

Read in bootmode

Thanks for the reply. I was considering that, but was hoping to get a clean read before pulling the ecu ...just in case.
stuydub

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »

I still dont understand why people immo off immo 2 u just need to adapt ecu in VCDS LITE or full no SKC needed for immo 2 or and even quicker to immo off the the complete file
GarrettB

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 03:05:59 PM »

I still dont understand why people immo off immo 2 u just need to adapt ecu in VCDS LITE or full no SKC needed for immo 2 or and even quicker to immo off the the complete file

In my case it's because we engine swapped with an immo2 ecu + cluster  into an immo 3 vehicle. The immo2 cluster works, however the power windows do not work due to the central convenience module not able to communicate through the older immo2 cluster. We want to put the immo3 cluster back in it, so we need to immo off the immo2 ecu.
GarrettB

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 08:17:30 AM »

Update: I tried unplugging the cluster and reading the ecu (still in vehicle) and could not communicate with it. I tried VCDS as well for a sanity check and it could not communicate with it. Then it dawned on me, the same reason the power windows don't work (CCM can't communicate through older immo2 cluster) is the same reason the reads fail even after initial communication is successful, and I can't communicate at all if the cluster is unplugged.

Next step is for sure to remove the ecu from the vehicle and read it on the bench.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:28:37 AM by GarrettB » Logged
GarrettB

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 08:23:20 AM »

I just reread your reply... how does one "immo off the complete file"?

I haven't tried pulling the flash down with nefmoto, but I'm guessing I'll run into the same communication issues, unless I do it with a bench setup. I'm am still curious though as to how it's done, I haven't come across that method (yet) in this forum.
_nameless

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 10:04:59 AM »

read the eeprom and edit a few bits and write it back. its all covered in the cluster and immobilizer section http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?board=42.0

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
GarrettB

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 10:20:47 AM »

read the eeprom and edit a few bits and write it back. its all covered in the cluster and immobilizer section http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?board=42.0

I CAN BARELY HEAR YOU

I got that part, my OP covers my previous success with that method. It seemed like "stuydub" was suggesting there was a way to "immo off the complete file", which I was assuming was referring to the flash bin (not the eeprom bin). That's what I was asking about, just out of curiosity.

Sandstorm3k

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 11:19:37 AM »

There is fairly little info on it, because immo'ing off is so easy. Though i have been intrigued by it aswell.

I know a few binaries exist that don't have immo support at all originally.
_nameless

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 06:29:23 PM »

I got that part, my OP covers my previous success with that method. It seemed like "stuydub" was suggesting there was a way to "immo off the complete file", which I was assuming was referring to the flash bin (not the eeprom bin). That's what I was asking about, just out of curiosity.

You can do immo off in flash tho but it makes no difference. the end result is the same

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
GarrettB

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 09:37:23 PM »

Update: I tried to read in OBD mode with a bench setup and still no dice (same 0x01 error). I then tried bootmode and it worked first try. Not sure why this 2000 Jetta 12v VR6 MT immo2 ecu (021906018M) would only read in bootmode, but I'm stoked I got it to work. I then created a new immo off file with the EepromTool and successfully wrote it back to the ecu. Was able to put the vehicle's original 2003 immo3 cluster back in and now the power windows are functioning  Cool.

Note: I'm sure others have mentioned it, but it's worth repeating - I had to cycle power on pin 3 (like the ignition switch would) in order to get into bootmode successfully. If I powered pins 3,21,62,121 all at the same time, it did not work. After reviewing the wiring diagram for the vehicle, I really didn't need pin 21, but it also didn't hurt anything. Providing constant power to pins 21,62,121; then grounding pin 24 on the chip, powering pin 3, then removing the ground after ~3 seconds is what consistently worked for me.

Also I used the --reconnect switch mentioned in another post, so I didn't have to ground the chip pin and re-enter bootmode between read and write operations - that was super handy!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: