Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VAG Simos 18.2, 1.8l CPRA, Passat NMS - HELP!  (Read 4922 times)
FLcruising

« on: June 24, 2021, 10:49:27 AM »

My situation is unusual but here it is:

Recently I've completed EPB (electric parking brake) retrofit to my 2017 Passat (PQ35 in USA) with the goal of having "Follow-to-Stop" and "Stop & Go" with factory 7N0 radar ACC. EPB and Autohold work great but 01-ECM is locked for enabling byte 8, bit 5; therefore the ECM is not aware of EPB.

Using softwaready.com I converted FRF to binary which bFlash graciously modified @ address 0025b6d7. According to a friend in Germany, this is part of the "allowed long coding table". Since I’m an end-user and cannot afford dealer-level tuner tools I have no way to write binary to ECM. Tried Kess v2 and KTag (clones) without success. VCP (original) and VAG-Tacho (FTDI based) are my only tools.

I have a spare ebay ECM so I don't screw up my factory one which I can ship, but having a hard time finding someone to help. Immo off or clone needed too. Could you point me into the right direction?

aef

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 11:38:38 PM »

Find a tuner in your area?
FLcruising

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 06:01:33 AM »

I've tried by calling and emailing 10+ tuners within 200 miles, none want to touch it. They either sell "off-the-shelf" tunes like APR, don't want to risk it, or too busy to try. Eventually when you're told NO so much, you realize you're on your own to figure it out. Thankfully though, d3irb is willing to give this a shot and see how he can help!
d3irb

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 07:35:28 AM »

Find a tuner in your area?

Does anyone in the US even own bench tools? (seriously, I've sometimes wondered this... it's _so_ weird how different "tuning" is between continents!)

I'm going to help him out - straightforward bench flash and immo defeat to get his second unit up and running, and if his Codiermatrix changes do what we want, we can port flash the stock unit.
cherry

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 05:09:48 PM »

Simos18 no bench solution available yet. So only bootmode possible if you want to keep the tuning from apr. And you never know what apr has done to the ecu, i think this is the major fear from the tuners why they do not touch. Maybe even password isnt readable anymore and some seedkey for obd writing changed, who knows?
d3irb

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 09:22:38 PM »

The APR tune was actually already FRFed back over anyway, which I guess proves that it doesn't tamper with the SA2. Only Cobb that I know of change the SA2 script.

I have yet to see an S18 tune which tampers with SBOOT to interfere with the service mode exploit, although that is certainly a possibility on paper.

Regardless, the spare ECU didn't have a tune on it to begin with, so I'm not sure what the concern would be. The issue FLcruising was having is simply that almost nobody in the US has the right tools or knowledge to even start on a project like this in the first place. It's not a fear of the ECU being tampered with, it's that in the US, "tuners" generally only know how to edit maps in Cobb AccessTuner / Maestro, or install canned tunes with UM or APR dealer tools. And I don't even mean this as a bash against US tuners, it's just funny that in Europe/UK it seems like every town's tuning shop has a full read/write tool while in the US, the concept of anything but an off the shelf dealer package is unheard of.
H2Deetoo

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 05:35:35 AM »

Hi my US friend, very happy to see you here!

I believe there are very skilled people on this forum so if there's a solution here's a good place to start.
For sure D3irb's help is always good!

I'm following this thread with interest Smiley

Rgs H2Deetoo
FLcruising

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 06:45:30 AM »

Hi my US friend, very happy to see you here!

I believe there are very skilled people on this forum so if there's a solution here's a good place to start.
For sure D3irb's help is always good!

I'm following this thread with interest Smiley

Rgs H2Deetoo
Hello my Netherland friend!
d3irb sounds like the real deal. Spare ECM is being shipping out today.
FLcruising

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »

Well...first try with ECM coding changes didn't go as planned.

@d3irb unlocked immo in a spare ECM and installed firmware with Codiermatrix changed for setting byte 8, bit 5. Unfortunately, the ECM complained about lost comm with ABS module. It seems that S18.2 can be programmed to comm with 03-ABS w/IBP, or 53-EPB module. In my case it's 53-EPB.

It seems to take this further we're in need of A2L/Damos for 06K906071BJ. Where could one find help for this?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: