Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bad caps  (Read 2809 times)
_nameless

« on: August 29, 2021, 07:23:20 AM »

So recently Ive had a handful of early 4 cylinder ecus that have bad / leaking capacitors, and accompanied with "terminal 30 voltage low code" and according to a customer they had cold start issues on a completely bone stock car and cal. Replaced caps with new ons and mailed back, all issues resolved with the terminal 30 voltage low and no more cold start issues. I have no additional technical info to add as I havent looked into it further then this.     

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Geomeo

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 09:10:10 PM »

Happens all across the world of electronics.  They don’t make em like they used to!  A cap should last for at least 20 years.  There’s even a wikipage on the plague. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

It might be a good time to start a company in America.  Make caps great again. 
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 08:09:38 AM »

Extremely interesting; do you have a list of caps you had to change? ME7.5?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ZpiXDK

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 09:13:57 AM »

Happens all across the world of electronics.  They don’t make em like they used to!  A cap should last for at least 20 years.  There’s even a wikipage on the plague. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

It might be a good time to start a company in America.  Make caps great again. 

Back in the 1990/2000 they made some motherboards with caps that lasted a few years (:

Why would you use some that hold 5years, if the device is out dated in 2years? Hehe
-when they manufacture cars today it’s for a period of 6years and 200.000km or some like that, if the car will handle more then that, you just need to be happy Cheesy hehe

You want some tuning with that pop and bang?
-Nahh it’s not good for the engine
prj

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 01:16:32 PM »

This has literally nothing to do with conspiracy theories.

The formulation for caps was just bad, many motherboards and monitors back then blew up in warranty period etc.
Some ECU's were also affected.
I don't think I ever needed to change caps on anything since that was over.

I am pretty sure that no modern ECU is going to have leaky caps within 20 years of manufacturing time.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: