Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MED17.7.5 Mercedes Tuning  (Read 3050 times)
Ttrt123

« on: October 18, 2021, 07:01:49 PM »

Hi guys,

This is pretty much my first post. Wanted to first say thank you to the community for really helping with all the detailed info on this site. As a hobby I have taken on tuning my Mercedes AMG which has been fun. I have gained access to several FR and A2L files pertaining to this ECU and I have been further understanding tuning strategies mainly by reading this documentation as well as reading here about tuning mainly VAG cars. There are many differences in strategies but still very similar. I am logging with vehical which has provided obvious great data and understanding when making changes. I have however hit a wall and some slapping around with some of you genius' is now needed I feel.

The car is a 2018 E63 AMG with several upgrades. I am mainly hitting a wall when trying to increase boost. I fall into what many noobs fall into where I see torque intervention when trying to increase boost further. Many map ID's are slightly different name when comparing to VAG (I have done endless searching) but I am happy to further discuss and perhaps I can break through!

As an example maps like KLVPVLKVVS which is pressure ratio maps are named different and might have different strategy. There are several more that I am happy to discuss of course.

So far I am pushing a big turbo setup with supporting mods to 2 bar but going further has proven difficult. If I increase KFMIRL of course, I see torque intervention.

I can post the bin file if needed as well. Any help is greatly appreciated!
IamwhoIam

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 04:02:02 AM »

If you haven't touched the CPC-NG or the 9Gtronic TCU, good luck to you. This is where doing all this "as a hobby" shows its limits.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
Ttrt123

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 07:05:45 AM »

I’ve done both actually. I have even been able to raise shift rpms via tcu and ecu tuning.

The limit is in the ecu. I have done work arounds to test this theory by switching some code words in the ecu and the car makes all the boost however it loses its creature comforts.

prj

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 07:12:38 AM »

Start by figuring out of it it's boost, load or torque limit.

misol_w, milsol_w, rlsol_w, pvds_w for starters.
And then log a bunch of rlxxxx_w variables that represent the various load limits.

You really need an FR for at least a similar ECU as well.

To check if it's a torque limit or not you can lower MDNORM by for example 10% and see if it requests 10% more torque/load.
If it does, then you either missed something in the ECU or it's very likely it is CPC/TCU limited.

This is as much as I am willing to say on this... it's just work beyond that, and the work needs to be methodical, not throwing random stuff at it and seeing if it sticks Tongue

If you already have my logger you can log both the TCU and the CPC in basic mode to see what is going there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 07:16:26 AM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
IamwhoIam

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 07:49:54 AM »

I’ve done both actually. I have even been able to raise shift rpms via tcu and ecu tuning.

The limit is in the ecu. I have done work arounds to test this theory by switching some code words in the ecu and the car makes all the boost however it loses its creature comforts.

If you've "done" CPC and TCU, then you're beyond hobbyist level, even some pro tuners out there can't flash CPC and TCU on these cars, which tells me that you're absolutely not a hobbyist.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 08:05:41 AM by IamwhoIam » Logged

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
Ttrt123

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 09:35:43 AM »

Start by figuring out of it it's boost, load or torque limit.

misol_w, milsol_w, rlsol_w, pvds_w for starters.
And then log a bunch of rlxxxx_w variables that represent the various load limits.

You really need an FR for at least a similar ECU as well.

To check if it's a torque limit or not you can lower MDNORM by for example 10% and see if it requests 10% more torque/load.
If it does, then you either missed something in the ECU or it's very likely it is CPC/TCU limited.

This is as much as I am willing to say on this... it's just work beyond that, and the work needs to be methodical, not throwing random stuff at it and seeing if it sticks Tongue

If you already have my logger you can log both the TCU and the CPC in basic mode to see what is going there.

Thanks for the help man will do. I have your logger yes and I will start to log tcu and Cpc next. I have logged boost related things and some load but you just helped tremendously with direction so thank you.

I also have FR from an earlier version of this ecu which is just about as close as it gets. It is helping me a lot.
Ttrt123

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 09:46:31 AM »

If you've "done" CPC and TCU, then you're beyond hobbyist level, even some pro tuners out there can't flash CPC and TCU on these cars, which tells me that you're absolutely not a hobbyist.

I don’t understand your logic sorry. Are you saying because I’ve been able to tune the tcu and Cpc, I am better than a professional tuner? Thank you I guess and I’m sorry for the pro tuner.
kirukisu

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 12:20:39 PM »

Hi guys,

This is pretty much my first post. Wanted to first say thank you to the community for really helping with all the detailed info on this site. As a hobby I have taken on tuning my Mercedes AMG which has been fun. I have gained access to several FR and A2L files pertaining to this ECU and I have been further understanding tuning strategies mainly by reading this documentation as well as reading here about tuning mainly VAG cars. There are many differences in strategies but still very similar. I am logging with vehical which has provided obvious great data and understanding when making changes. I have however hit a wall and some slapping around with some of you genius' is now needed I feel.

The car is a 2018 E63 AMG with several upgrades. I am mainly hitting a wall when trying to increase boost. I fall into what many noobs fall into where I see torque intervention when trying to increase boost further. Many map ID's are slightly different name when comparing to VAG (I have done endless searching) but I am happy to further discuss and perhaps I can break through!

As an example maps like KLVPVLKVVS which is pressure ratio maps are named different and might have different strategy. There are several more that I am happy to discuss of course.

So far I am pushing a big turbo setup with supporting mods to 2 bar but going further has proven difficult. If I increase KFMIRL of course, I see torque intervention.

I can post the bin file if needed as well. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Would you be so kind and share FRs and A2Ls?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: