Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2002 Audi TT Adapting new instrument Cluster  (Read 3257 times)
choogenboom

« on: November 22, 2021, 01:07:44 PM »

Hi All - I have done my best to research how to do this but have hit a wall.  Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Here is what I have:
2002 Audi TT Quattro Convertible AMU engine 6 speed
Donor/replacement used Cluster is 8N1920980  KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. M73 D14 (Magneti Marrelli) 
Old dead cluster is 8N1920980 M73 D01
ECU is 8N0906018AN 1.8L R4/5VT    G  0003

I have an FTD232 cable
I have VCDS-Lite, VAG EEPROM Programmer 1.19g, kw1281test_0.71-beta_Win10, eepromtool_04.exe, me7_95040_v1.31

My old cluster is very dead, can't talk to it, no displays work etc.

So far I have been able to get the SKC from the ECU and used it to successfully login to the ECU using VCDS-Lite.  See ECU data here:
eepromtool_04.exe --in 95040.bin

Read in 512bytes
EEPROM Status:
- Type: ECU_eeprom
- Version: Immo2
- VIN: TRUUT28N021001236 (Audi Hungary 2002 - TT 99-06, Gyor, Hungary)
- SKC: 00215
- Immobiliser: On
- Checksum: OK
- Size: 512bytes
- Cluster Code: 11 22 3C 60 74 93 B1
- P0601 DTC: not set
- Immo ID: AUZ5Z0A5290022
- Softcoding ID: 6710
- Tuner Tag:
- Flash Programming (successful): 0
- Flash Programming (attempts): 0

I have had no luck getting the SKC from the new cluster.  I have a good EEPROM dump from the new cluster (attached) which shows 3 replicated areas that have the AUZ5Z0B1076062 immo serial number and the VIN of the _donor_ vehicle.  Numerous sources state that the SKC is the 2 bytes just in front of the AUZ5Z0B1076062.  Those 2 bytes give me a valid 4 digit PIN but login with that PIN using VCDS-Lite fails.  I tried disconnecting the battery overnight and cluster login still fails.  Looking at the source code for eepromtool_04 showed that SKC bytes are swapped in VDO and RB clusters (aka little endian)  but NOT swapped in Magneti Marrelli clusters (aka big endian) so I was careful to not swap the bytes when converting from hex to decimal.  If they were swapped they would not produce a valid 4 digit PIN in the 0-9999 range. 

Questions:
  • Any advice on what to try next to get the SKC?
    When I tried the SKC dash displayed "FAIL" on lower left display.  Key off then on again and the FAIL was gone and I tried a new SKC.  How long exactly is the lockout before you can try a new login?  VCDS-Lite says "a few minutes".  Is there any way to check if the cluster login is locked out?  Is it possible my SKC is correct and cluster login is locked out?
    Can I adapt the new cluster to the ECU without the SKC?  In "mode 4"?  If so can I get the cluster into "mode 4" without the SKC and how do I do that?  Is there a dark side to doing this?
    The new cluster is, according to ross-tech, a immo3 cluster because VCDS-Lite shows both a immo SN and VIN for it.  I have conflicting information about the ECU being immo2 or immo3.  eepromtool thinks its immo2 (see eepromtool output above) but research shows the 225HP AMU engine only came with a "narrow band" ECU that is immo3.  Any way to tell for sure if the ECU is immo2 or immo3?
Thanks in advance, any and all help will be much appreciated!
sherpagoodness

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 10:41:42 PM »

i don't believe immo2 has any communication with the cluster, only immo3 does

2002 should be wideband, no? what country is the car from?
choogenboom

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 08:55:10 AM »

i don't believe immo2 has any communication with the cluster, only immo3 does

2002 should be wideband, no? what country is the car from?
USA car, originally sold by dealer in Georgia.

from https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/whats-difference-between-engines-amu-bea-etc-1962385/
Some TTs have wideband oxygen sensors, some have narrow band. Basically, early TTs did not use a wideband oxygen sensor and later models did. Yes, that means not all 225s have wideband; the AMU 225 motor, used until somewhere in 2003, still uses narrowband. The AWP 180 motor, used in TTs since 2001, incorporates wideband. In a nutshell, ATC 180s and AMU 225s don't have wideband, AWP 180s and BEA 225s do have wideband.
I have a 2002 AMU so pretty sure that means narrowband ECU.
choogenboom

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 09:03:17 AM »

I spoke with Uwe Ross at Ross Tech yesterday and he thought (but was not sure) that the cluster has a security feature where invalid login attempts trigger a timed lockout with a incremental penalty.  The lockout time "penalty" would double for every failed attempt.  He suggested leaving the key in the run position overnight (read long time) to let the lockout timer count down an reset/expire.  I read similar suggestions in other forums but have yet to find a definitive source of info on this possibility.  Anyone out there know anything about this?  And if you do what year/model/manufacturer cluster this behavior has been confirmed in and is there any way to read the cluster to know if its in a timed login lockout mode?

This would explain why what I think is now the correct SKC is failing as I made many failed logins with the wrong guesses at the SKC prior to trying what I am pretty sure is the correct SKC.  I am testing this theory leaving the car to sit for 24 hours with ignition on.  Will try tonight to see if login works, stay tuned for results.
prj

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 01:58:42 PM »

Immo 2 has no pairing in cluster.
To adapt cluster to vehicle go to adaptation in cluster, channel 00, read, save, done.

Now you need to code the keys, to code the keys you need to login to cluster.
Or if you have the keys from the donor you can swap the transponders in the keys.

If login fails with SKC there can be either response 0x35 - invalidKey, that means SKC is incorrect.
Or there can be 0x36 or 0x37, when requesting seed, which means that the cluster is locked out.

No magic involved here nor guesswork.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 02:00:38 PM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
choogenboom

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 10:54:28 AM »

Leaving the ignition on overnight did the trick.  Cluster Lockout timers seem to have reset as the SKC that failed before worked.  Adapted keys and immobilizer indicator LED stopped flashing and car started and stayed running.  Success!

While adapting keys I learned you can read the state of the lockout timers.  Instructions for VCDS-Lite are:

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Select Block 022.
[Go!]
The value in field 3 must be 1. If value is not 1, the key is not capable of being adapted to Immobilizer.
You can check each key in this manner.

Select Block 024.
[Go!]
Make sure the shown lock times in field 1, 2 and 3 are 0 (each field represents a time in minutes).
If the lock times are NOT 0:
Do NOT switch off the ignition!
Allow the car to sit for AT LEAST the number of minutes that were indicated by the fields 1-3.
[Done, Go Back]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: