Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: audi q7 3.0tdi soft limp issue, no faults  (Read 11804 times)
airtite

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 01:09:02 AM »

3rd gear log (no limp)
prj

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2022, 03:24:58 AM »

There are 3 data points in this log. WTF are we supposed to do with that? Ever heard of at least Turbo button?

008 011 041, make sure lambda is warmed up, make sure turbo is enabled.

You are saying it's stock SW - is the DPF still on the car? Or is it now suddenly stock but where someone did a DPF delete? So not stock?

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
airtite

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2022, 04:25:36 AM »

There are 3 data points in this log. WTF are we supposed to do with that? Ever heard of at least Turbo button?

008 011 041, make sure lambda is warmed up, make sure turbo is enabled.

You are saying it's stock SW - is the DPF still on the car? Or is it now suddenly stock but where someone did a DPF delete? So not stock?

will redo the log, it is stock software. Regarding the DPF this is where it is confusing, physically it looks like the DPF is on the car BUT there is no temp sensor on the DPF or pressure sensors so I am not sure if the cars released in our country ie south africa actually had DPFs or not, the only sensors I can see on the exhaust side are the egt sensor on the turbo itself and the lambda sensor after the turbo but before the cat.
airtite

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2022, 04:31:37 AM »

both of the q7s here which are identical engines ie BUG and identical years both dont have the dpf temp sensors or pressure sensors like in the diagram below.
airtite

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2022, 05:02:44 AM »

these are the dpfs of both cars (one car is a parts car) as you can see no temp sensor or pressure hoses, I have also attached the stock file that is on the car.
prj

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2022, 05:44:09 AM »

No DPF on this car, what you are looking at is the 2nd cat.
File is stock.

Log EGT1 and also there's a group with torque reduction factors . I don't remember the MVB's off the top of my head.
On these cars if the turbo EGT goes bad then it does not always throw a fault code, and it can cut the power really hard, like the EGT temp limiter is kicking in.
Same with the coolant and IAT temps, but there's a group which has all the torque reduction factors.

Log your car properly.
airtite

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 06:27:44 AM »

No DPF on this car, what you are looking at is the 2nd cat.
File is stock.

Log EGT1 and also there's a group with torque reduction factors . I don't remember the MVB's off the top of my head.
On these cars if the turbo EGT goes bad then it does not always throw a fault code, and it can cut the power really hard, like the EGT temp limiter is kicking in.
Same with the coolant and IAT temps, but there's a group which has all the torque reduction factors.

I have been trying to find EGT but I cant seem to find it the only thing that looks related is 102 which is the "Temperature prior - Precatalytic Converter" and that is stuck at 551degrees.

requested log attached blocks 8 11 41 (turbo) thank you for your assistance and patience..
prj

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 08:25:59 AM »

Log looks normal, except of course you didn't let the lambda warm up so 41 doesn't show anything.
Find the correction factors and turbo EGT, it is there.

Log your car properly.
airtite

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2022, 09:25:49 AM »

Log looks normal, except of course you didn't let the lambda warm up so 41 doesn't show anything.
Find the correction factors and turbo EGT, it is there.

I had driven about 10km so pretty sure lambda was warm... engine temp was at 90degreess as well. Could that possibly be my issue?

Just changed the EGT sensor now as well, still same result.

any idea what the correction factors look like or are labelled as
so I can look?
airtite

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2022, 09:52:19 AM »

Just changed lambda prove, still limp.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

prj

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2022, 09:57:00 AM »

In Block 41 you can see when lambda is warm, as it starts changing.
It has nothing to do with how long you drive, it can take a while, just leave car idle until it starts showing values.
Changing the lambda sensor was a waste of time and money.
Changing the EGT sensor was also a waste of time and money.

You can continue changing random sensors, instead of logging the correct block and seeing from where the TQ reduction request comes.

Your car is not in limp mode, it has never been. You don't know what limp mode this on this car.
One of the sensors is sending bad signal (or maybe something is actually overheating) and the ECU is limiting torque as result.

There is a group that has the factors for intake, exhaust and coolant temp, I am telling you for the third time...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 10:12:30 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
airtite

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2022, 10:11:10 AM »

I had the sensors from the parts car so I thought I could just swap them over to test.

It's 7pm here now, tomorrow I will see if I can look for the mvbs you are talking about I know the block where intake and coolant temp are but didn't see anything about egt, intake temp never went higher than 42degrees on the previous logs I did.

It is a learning process for me on these vag diesels and I appreciate the input.

prj

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2022, 10:13:02 AM »

The limitation shows up in your log as "smoke limitation", but if you hit EGT limiter, it also shows up as that on EDC16 IIRC.
Does not hurt to pressure test the intake. Did you physically block the EGR yet? If not then as I said before your EGR valve is sticking open, and that's all the reason why.

Put a blockoff plate there, takes literally 5 minutes to cut a piece of aluminum and jam it in there.

There is another 2 things you need to log when it is in limp mode:
1. Baro pressure (!)
2. Always log injection quantity.

These ECU's sometimes have the baro pressure sensor go bad, and then it requests much less boost than normal.
Solution is to change sensor in ECU or change ECU.

You should have gotten another ECU from an A6 or A8, because the Q7 all have the water in ECU problem and this one might also be on the way out.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 10:16:18 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
airtite

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2022, 10:41:43 AM »

I will block off the egr tomorrow, I did log smoke limit before and it seemed to follow torque requested and torque limit.

I will have a look at barometric pressure etc as well after I do the egr block off.

airtite

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2022, 10:42:24 AM »

What should injection quantity be?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: