Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI EDC17CP14 Help  (Read 4664 times)
Dillmiester

« on: March 28, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »

Hello everyone I been a lurker for awhile but I need some help with tuning my new TDI.

First some background I had a 2006 BRM before and used a Kess V2 china clone successfully to remove EGR and put a mild tune on it with Speedweaver.

With the new car because of all the newer security I purchased a Scanmatik2 PRO for use with module 71 PCM Flash because I thought it was supported and I absolutely did not want to open the ECU.

Come to find out now, it might not work through this method, TPROT too high?  Instead I will have to open the ECU which is what I was trying to avoid.

My question is do I now need to purchase module 53 and 50 and read directly from the board? I bought the MEDC17 Bench cable with the programmer.

How can I determine its TPROT level and am I SOL on module 71?

Thank you for any help everyone,  It is difficult to find any information on this.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:54:18 PM by Dillmiester » Logged
prj

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 11:52:20 AM »

Why don't you ask support of flash tool?

EDC17CP14 both TP2.0 and UDS can be done on bench through the connector with proper tools.

They can also be flashed OBD without opening anything.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Dillmiester

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 12:06:43 PM »

Why don't you ask support of flash tool?

EDC17CP14 both TP2.0 and UDS can be done on bench through the connector with proper tools.

They can also be flashed OBD without opening anything.

See thats something I dont quite grasp because I thought with TPROT active if I attempt to flash through OBD it will soft brick?

With everything I have read it seems like I need a full read to have any hope of recovery if I screw something up.

cherry

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 04:12:15 PM »

EDC17CP14 TC1796 TPROT11 will not work in benchmode, i think no tools supports these versions yet. But you will not damage anything by trying. You can do by OBD with module 65 if virtual read is availeble.
Dillmiester

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 06:43:56 PM »

EDC17CP14 TC1796 TPROT11 will not work in benchmode, i think no tools supports these versions yet. But you will not damage anything by trying. You can do by OBD with module 65 if virtual read is availeble.

Man that really sucks I wish I knew this before buying everywhere I could find said the ECU was supported with module 71.

How do you know that it is version 11 just curious cause I have had trouble really finding information on it.
cherry

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 07:06:26 PM »

Just connect and try if it´s working. There will be a message if it´s not working. If you can read, you can also write. Which version it is you will see in file then. In pcmflash board is this information:

Currently, only these ECUs are known to be unsupported:

VAG MED17.5.5 TC1766 UDS (high TPROT for TC1766)
VAG MED17.1 TC1796 UDS (high TPROT for TC1796)
K/H EDC17CP14 TC1796 TPROT11 (high TPROT for TC1796)
VAG EDC17CP20 TC1796 TPROT10 UDS (high TPROT for TC1796)
NISSAN EDC17CP51 (Cummins Software)
China ME17.8.8TC1728
China MED17.8.10 TC1728

For such blocks, the program will display the message "Unsupported version of TPROT" after transferring the bootloader. If there is no such message, then most likely it is not that the computer is not supported.
prj

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 11:47:53 AM »

See thats something I dont quite grasp because I thought with TPROT active if I attempt to flash through OBD it will soft brick?
All TPROT "active" MEDC17 ECU's can be flashed OBD, there's exploits in the bootloader, and this has been this way for about 10 years now.
I don't know where you get your information. All you need to buy for that ECU is the TP2.0 OBD module and that's it, you never need to remove the ECU.

Log your car properly.
Dillmiester

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 01:36:45 PM »

All TPROT "active" MEDC17 ECU's can be flashed OBD, there's exploits in the bootloader, and this has been this way for about 10 years now.
I don't know where you get your information. All you need to buy for that ECU is the TP2.0 OBD module and that's it, you never need to remove the ECU.

Thats the problem finding the information I have to scour the forums and a lot of the information might not even apply I'm also on MHH Auto and ECU Connections, the few Facebook groups I've found are little help.  Im really trying to do my dillgence here I've spent hours into the night for weeks before pulling the trigger on the Scanmatik.

I thought you cant get a full read through OBD?

Everywhere I was finding was cases of people writing through OBD and having the car not start.  How would I be able to recover?

Im also having trouble even getting in contact with the PCM Flash developer. Ecutools and a few others suggested doing that because hes supposedly very responsive I emailed him 2 days ago still no response I can't access the PCM Flash support forum because im not getting the activation email.

Thank you cherry and prj, I have read some of your posts in the past just browsing on here I know you are very knowledgeable. I had to help a friend with his ME 7.5 I have a SAI delete tune ready for him when he works out some issues with the car.  I try to give back to the community when I can (should probably provide a link to EDC16 map pack I have on google drive.)

like I said im fairly new to all this which is why im still pretty reliant on services like Im considering using Magic Motorsports StageX this time just to remove DPF and EGR automatically Stage X also supposedly has a Tprot removal function.

Just dont want to jump the gun end up with a ecu and car thats dead in the water with no way to bring it back.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 09:23:47 PM by Dillmiester » Logged
prj

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 03:31:37 AM »

I thought you cant get a full read through OBD?
You thought wrong. All proper tools provide a virtual read. It's the original file from the OEM database.
Everywhere I was finding was cases of people writing through OBD and having the car not start.  How would I be able to recover?
Because you were on some kind of weird forums where people use 10 year old china cloned hardware.

To flash this car you did not need scanmatik. Any J2534 interface and then PCMFlash with the TP2.0 module would have done the job by OBD.
As would have many other tools. Yeah, they need to be original and not china of course.

It does not hurt to have bench/boot backup for if you mess up the file and brick the ECU (which can not be done by purely editing maps, you'd need to edit code or axis sizes for that).
But is it needed? No.

Log your car properly.
Dillmiester

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 07:18:16 AM »

I was able to reach the developer he said he has a 2014 Jetta TDI that works through bench module 71. Late model Tiguans he said he saw issues.

Basically I ID through OBD and it can tell me which module 50 or 65 I need cause he is not sure which would work.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 08:19:51 AM by Dillmiester » Logged
prj

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 08:40:06 AM »

You already bought an original tool, just buy the correct OBD module, and flash it.
Why you are so hellbent on removing the control unit is beyond me.

Log your car properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: