Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I want to learn and need help with setting up my "bench"  (Read 2484 times)

« on: August 15, 2022, 03:21:54 PM »

Hello everyone.

I want to learn and need help with setting up my "bench". I am not as good with electronics compared to programming. I've tried searching online but no luck so  I would appreciate some help.

I have the following:
- 2013 VAUXHALL/Opel ASTRA Mk6 2.0 Diesel Engine ECU 55590420 (Based on a Google search, I found out is EDC17C59-1.15, so I have to follow the pinout for that)
- Breakout Tricore Cable for M-P-P-S
- 12v 7Ah Ultra Max Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery NP9-12, NP6-12
- MPPS cable

First of all I don't even know if the setup will work. Whether the battery or any other component is correct for this setup, but what I plan and imagine in my head is to power the ECU, connect the pins to it, connect with MPPS  or other software to my laptop and somehow make it detect so that i can to software side experiments. Goal for now is to just make it work if possible.

I need to find out how to wire it up to power the ECU and communicate with it.

I found out that:
- all red cables are battery power +12V
- all black cables are chassis/ground
- green K-Line (no need for this ECU I assume based on the pinout)
- blue CAN-H
- orange CAN-L

Is this correct?

If so how do I go on about powering the ECU with the battery and connecting it to my laptop safely without frying anything? I am mainly I guess confused about the positive and negative poles of the battery connecting to the red cables and the red cables connecting to the ECU? Do I need to connect the round red cable to positive of the battery and the black round to the negative of the battery (i know they are designed specifically for devices with such ports but i have normal battery).

Red cable:
- metal head should touch positive terminal of battery
- one pin or two pin ports should be connected to pin 5 and 46 as shown on the diagram?

Tricore Cable
- black metal head should touch the negative terminal of the battery?
- black any pin should be inserted into pin 2 on the diagram for Ground? (labelled blue on the diagram)

The rest: I connect CAN-H and CAN-L

Does this seem like the correct setup that will not fry anything? I don't want to jump on without someone opinion in order to not fry anything.

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 03:26:02 PM »

I just realised another question for the GND clip. Should the clip end of the black GND cable be grounded as well? So one end is connected to battery negative, other to ECU and third clip end just grounded ?
prj

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 11:30:35 AM »

What makes you think you're going to do anything with "MPPS" connected to the pins?
You won't.
Quotes because if it was an original tool, you could ask support.

Maybe in boot you'll do something, if the china shit will even do boot.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 02:55:12 PM »

What makes you think you're going to do anything with "MPPS" connected to the pins?

My main goal is to power the ecu with the tricore cable in the picture and being able to plug any device into the OBD2 end of the cable. It could be a diagnostic tool or "MPPS". The point is not MPPS but me powering the ECU up in order to be able to communicate.

You won't.

I need to power the ECU and see it for myself. You are focusing too much on the MPPS end rather then focusing on the setup of powering the ECU so I can plug whatever is needed to be able to tap into the ECU.

Quotes because if it was an original tool, you could ask support.
Ask support or read the manual doesn't always cut it when my goal is to learn for myself with the hardware I have. If i had found a manual on how to power the ECU and with what type of hardware, I would have definitely followed it and not ask here. I did outlined out what I could find online to make my question clear and not expect people to spoon-feed me.

Maybe in boot you'll do something, if the china shit will even do boot.
I don't want to open the ECU for now. Goal is to do it from the OBD2 port. By the "China shit" are you referring to my MPPS hardware or the tricore cable. Maybe both?

Back to what I need, is my research correct in terms of the pins and wiring until the OBD2 port of the tricore cable?

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 03:00:16 PM »

Addition to my previous comment... should I invest in a better quality cable like CMD Universal Tricore Bench Cable with Micropins? As far as I know, its just serial cables and no microchips inside, so would it be any better?

I will first try with clones and see what and how they work and probably buy open source hardware. As mentioned now goal is just power the ECU any plus anything into the OBD2 end.

Thanks.
prj

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 04:38:34 AM »

Just to spell it out for you:
You're not going to read or write the software in the ECU without either opening it or buying an original bench tool.
Immo not authenticated = no CBOOT.

If you buy an original tool there will be all the info and cabling needed to boot the thing up.

If you want to power it, connect 12V to red in your diagram, GND to blue, done.
If you want comms connect CAN H, CAN L to interface of your choice.

Addition to my previous comment... should I invest in a better quality cable like CMD Universal Tricore Bench Cable with Micropins?
You need to invest in lifting your ignorance... you're smart enough to type walls of text here and use a computer, but can not connect 12V and ground to pins based on a diagram? Really?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 04:41:35 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
_nameless

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 10:30:12 AM »

Buy Pcm flash and module 71 will do that in service mode. Its going to be the cheapest option of "real" tools.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
prj

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 02:05:34 AM »

Buy Pcm flash and module 71 will do that in service mode. Its going to be the cheapest option of "real" tools.
Yup agreed, although PCMFlash does not really come with good documentation or support.
You basically get what you pay for Cheesy

Log your car properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: