Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32
Author Topic: Dialing in the single  (Read 248024 times)
marcellus

« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2012, 06:34:25 AM »

If, opened to the largest aperture it goes, the VGT is enough to keep boost creep in check and not overboost, why don't you use just the VGT to control the boost (and get rid of the wastegate)?  It seems redundant and really complicated to try to control boost via both a wastegate AND the VGT.

I couldn't get the VGT under control.  But, that was a while ago when I last tried it.  The actuator opens too fast and boost fell off.  That was also before I discovered that back pressure was forcing it to open and was slowing spool.  This is something I might have to revisit, but I still need some sort of safety since the vgt is known to get stuck
prj

« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2012, 07:33:07 AM »

As safety you can use the N249 for example.

And you could use a pulsed solenoid to control the VGT as well.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
marcellus

« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2012, 07:50:42 AM »

Now I have to go Google "pulsed solenoid".  I do have a restrictor coming from one of my vendors here at work.  It is supposed to slow the pressure getting to the actuator have unrestricted flow in the opposite direction, fully adjustable.

I dont have the N249 in my car.  It probably wouldnt take much to hook it up though.  I dont remeber for sure, doesnt the n249 use a vacuum res.?  I will have to find one of those and stuff it in the engine bay somewhere.   

Gonzo

« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »

I don't know if this was discussed before, but can't you hook up the vanes to a wastegate actuator? I think someone did this before. Worked rather well.
marcellus

« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

I don't know if this was discussed before, but can't you hook up the vanes to a wastegate actuator? I think someone did this before. Worked rather well.

Yessir, that's how mine is set up.  Pics from a quite a while ago. 

marcellus

« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »

It works OK with just the actuator, but from the logs it looks like it needs a more precise means of control.  From what I have seen the wastegate actuator opens too fast and will kill the spool.  On my setup, the ideal opening is at peak is a close to peak boost as possible.  I am going to try and revisit the N75 on the actuator tomorrow.  I gave up on it last3 time because I didnt realize the actuator didnt have enough preload to keep the VGT close, so I thought the N75 wasnt capable of doing what I wanted.  Boost was really slow, and I blamed the n75.  Recently I have been palying with the n75 on the wastegate and I machined a shaft that allows me to add a bunch of tension to the acutator without pulling the VGT shut.  It has been working really awesome.  Spool is really nice, and I have the n75 working really good keeping boost in check.  I can see in the logs where it starts to open up.  The boost will skyrocket up to about 20psi and then take another few hundred rpms to build to around 25psi.

As I sit and think about it, the N75 might be what I have been looking for.  It can allow fro small amounts of boost to get to the actuator and hopefully let me control how it makes the VGT open.  I def like the idea of using the BOV to help regulate overboost via. N249.  I will dig deeper into that too.    
marcellus

« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »

got a wideband? maybe you're leaner than you think?

Also, might want to log the various knock control variables to see where it is coming from.

I tried to finally swith over to the ME7 logger tonight. I couldnt get it to work.  It said there was a "SWnumber mismatch need '1037354837', ecu is '1037360857'..."

I am kinda excited to get this going though.  It has a lot more things to log in it than Ecux, and I think it would really help me out.
Gonzo

« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2012, 10:12:13 PM »

I would love helping you tune this beast. Do you think you can send me an email?
I think I can help you with the N75 Wink
marcellus

« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2012, 11:15:13 PM »

Pm me your email.
Bische

« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2012, 04:21:23 AM »

Maybe this has been said before, but if you have a WG also you could hook it up to a MBC and cap the pressure at a few psi higher than you want to tune the vane regulation to hold, just as a safety while tuning the vane/n75.

Really cool idea to regulate boost with the vanes btw.
marcellus

« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »

Thank you sir!  I do have a mbc in there hooked to the actuator to keep it from opening a too early of a boost level.  Switching this all over will be as easy as swapping the hoses. 
marcellus

« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »

I have gotten fed up and am about to order the Pro-M MAF setup.

http://promracing.com/mass-air-meters/3-pro-tube.html

I will definately pay for the 30 point transfer function, and run this as a blow through just before the throttle body.  

I am also upgrading the fuel system a little bit.  I have some new rails coming, I will run larger lines and another pump in line.  

So, with the 30 point transfer input into my MLHFM, I shouldnt need to mess with the KFKHFM map anymore and just flatline it all out at 1.0?  Then use KFLF to dial in the actual fuel?  

EDIT:  after more digging I am torn between the Pro m and the HPX. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:53:09 PM by marcellus » Logged
marcellus

« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »

Still working with the 85mm MAF setup:

Basic question.  I hear you guys talking about how your MAF is fully corrected, or dialed in 100%.  How do you know when your MAF is dialed in properly?   

When I move the scaling around for my MAF there seems to be a lot of other things that change.  On one scaling I can get pretty close logged load from 3-5th gears.  With this I can set up my LDRXN  pretty close without having to worry about it varrying from gear to gear.  Fueling is a lot easire, the PID is easier, but I max out my MAF.

Another scaling I have to log 5th gear from about 2500 rpms and floor it, and use that to set up my LDRXN since I now get much higher load in that gear.  I have to compensate my fueling all over the place...and generally is a PITA to set up.

For the moment I am trying a new scaling.  I am still trying a few more thigs to get it right, I just upped the boost some more and am maxing my new scaling out again.  So, at what point do you know your MAF is setup properly, and other parts of the tune need to be focused on? 
prj

« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »

Use known injectors, scale the MAF, then use unknown injectors and scale them...

If you change both things at the same time, you basically don't know.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
marcellus

« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »

That's kind of what it seems like.  Is there a way to know when you at least get it close?  I can see that when I change the scaling it just makes it skew the readings lower overall.  It feels like I am just doing something wrong, like I am overlooking something.  You guys make it seem so easy  "just pick a scaling and..."   

I wanted to try another MAF, but I put it on hold.  Reason, if I am having a hard time getting my current setup dialed in, I couldnt imagine the hassle I would be going through by introducing a new variable.  I mean the Pro-m only had 30points, we need 512 IIRC.  I am sure there is software to fill in the missing points, but then will I be in the same boat now? 

I just read somewhere on this forum where someone said a proper tune will have the KFKHFM table all set to 1's.  On many other platform forums I have read that they actaully log MAF votage against corrections and actual dial in the MAF voltage to the get the trims proper.  That is kind of what I want to achieve.

It just makes me uneasy not really knowing if it is right, or if I am just making it all work somehow.   
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32
  Print  

Jump to: