Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rod Knock Inside™  (Read 1771 times)
Heltfeil

« on: October 08, 2022, 05:59:12 PM »

Hi, my name is Nicki and I'm an alcoho...no, wait, thats not the kind of help I'm after. I'll give it another go.
Knock, knock. Who's there? I think it's rod #1, at the very least.
Okey, okey, I'll drop the lame jokes, for now.

Since I've already wasted some of you're time, I'll cut to the chase. If you want to skip to wall of text, go straight to "The question:" and check out my logs. Pretty please, with sugar on top.

Hardware:
I got a 2000 A6 C5 1.8t fwd, with the longitudinal APU engine (originally 018AA ecu, single NB 02 sensor, no SAI and no VVT).
Just rebuilt engine, mainly stock internals, but forged rods. Also converted to wideband ecu (032HN sw001) and added VVT.
Stock airbox
Stock N75
Stock MAF (well, wideband MAF, stock in relation to the ECU)
TFSI coils
'Oversized' TIP
Frontmount IC
Bosch 123 injectors (~727cc at stock 4 bar pressure)
k04-023 with larger billet wheel and ported exhaust side
'high flow' log exhaust manifold
3" downpipe
100cell cat
2.5" catback

During rebuild, all bearings where replaced and was plastigauged to within spec (though at the looser end), but crank was not machined or polished.
Pistons where reused, but weightbalanced with the new h-beam rods. Obviously new rings, all gapped with recommended specs to handle a little extra heat.
New oil pump, water pump, timing belt, all pulleys, PS pump, A/C clutch, rebuilt alternator.

The 'tune':
Wideband swap, turbo and injectors was all done during rebuild, so there was no previous tune to run in the engine with.
So stock 32HN sw001 from AUQ, with the following adjustments:
- KFTSRL, FSWTM, KFSZDUB, FTSDRLW adjusted for TFSI coils
- FVPDKSD/E axis adjustment to be in line with cracking pressure of new turbo
- KRKTE, TVUB, TEMIN adjusted for new injectors
- FKKVS adjusted for my return fuel system (FRLFSDP didnt need adjustment)
- CW_CAN_R_0...1...2...3 adjusted for dash with no CAN com
- KFFWL_0_A/1_A enrichened in the colder end of the map
- ESKONF and other related parameters changed to account for no SAI and no rear 02 sensor. All readiness tests comes through as PASSED, both under engine module and OBDii-mode, but I've only concerned myself with taking care of systems this model actually came with and remove the checks for those it didnt have.

The knock:
In an attempt to get some more data to analyze, without having to cut the pulls short due to running out of road all the time, I took the car for the 15 min drive to get to the highway. Unfortunally my laptop ran out of power before I got there, but I believe the last log is only missing the last two 3rd gear to 6000+ pulls I did before rod knock made it's merry appearance. Knowing I was screwed and had to open the engine anyways (and it being 3am and too far to walk) I decided to baby it home. I'm sure I'll regret the potentially substantial damage I added by doing so, especially since the oil pressure also was down alot.
Not sure exactly when the pressure dropped (before or after knock appeared), but it was good prior to the last few pulls at least.

The question:
I realize that the rod knock could potentially be entirely caused by mistakes during the rebuild, but I'm hoping some of you far more experienced people could take a look at the logs and see if you can see anything that raises a red flag. Keep in mind that I haven't done anything to boost/load/timing and only broadly adjusted fuelling for the larger injectors. I have not disabled or numbed any of the protective measures either. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if I learned that it was incredibly stupid to go WOT on stock tune with non-stock turbo, but as I didn't dear to make a first post on this forum without posting WOT logs (well, I needed the data to do any tuning in the first place), here we are Cheesy

The logs:
My apologies for what I'm just going to assume is crap quality logs. The area around my garage doesn't have any decent straights. Some of the pulls are in 2nd gear, just to get some info in the higher revs.
New to everything, including me7logger, I just used a .cfg named "often used HN", so probably a bunch of parameters I should have logged, but didn't.
The first log attached are a few pulls with wastegate straight to turbo cold side outlet to establish sensible axis for FVPDKSD/E.
The latter logs are some pulls with N75 connected, after adjusting FVPDKSD/E axis. I see I have a big spike (big in relation to request) shortly after boost onset and some high lambda values on lift off (possibly not showing if filtered for WOTs only), #1 pulls the most timing (7*?) at the last pulls, but I'm a little burned out, so any fresh eyes on those logs would be greatly appreciated.

Adaptions after the 30-40 min drive (including the knocking ride home) VCDS group 032  -0.8%  -6.3%
Still no DTCs.

PS. Since it's my first post I got to say thank you for all the knowledge you guys have shared on this forum. As a special thanks to Nyet, I've also attached an excel spreadsheet.
PPS. No, English is not my native language and I'm too tired to spellcheck or check my syntax.
PPPS. Going to try to post the logs in a seperate post, to see if thats why I can't get this stuff posted.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:28:48 AM by Heltfeil » Logged
Heltfeil

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 06:07:54 PM »

Buggy file upload...

If I'm doing all, I'm just being told header and subject is empty. If i'm doing one, I'm told it's too big. It's like 5MB.
I'll give another shot at uploading in the morning.

PS. Oh well, the .xls for Nyet could be uploaded. Who needs logs anyways...
PPS Managed to upload the last log, which also is the smallest. Unless math has completely left the building, the 29000kB file size limit is quite a bit higher then the 4362kB size of some of the other logs that I can't upload.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:27:42 AM by Heltfeil » Logged
blairl

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 08:35:17 AM »

Just looking at actual lambda and knock retard, I don't see any cause for concern.  Both of those look sane to me.

This is why I haven't had the courage to put rods in my engine yet, this would totally happen to me lol.  I suspect this was just a mechanical thing not a tune thing.

Best of luck with your project.  We never got 1.8T A6s in the USA, it's a cool car.  Must be slow with a stock tune lol.

LAMFAWKR, did anyone else find this variable funny?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: