Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CF Timing about.  (Read 20430 times)
@lq!

« on: June 25, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »

Hello,

i have a question about CF timing.

i'm using stock timing map. my boost is 1.4bar and wot AFR 11.5s. actual timing looks like as 11-12degree on vagcom. @6500rpm

But my CF values higher than 6... some times 7.5... how do i tune correctly ? i don't want reduce timing advance.

may be due to wrongly scaled maf ? or high pressure... ? wrong tvub ? or none , is it normal.. you can go to reduce timing.. or going to meth injection...

I'm confused...i don't want to see bigger than 3 CF..

my ecu is motronic 3.83 i know most people doesn't have a information about motronic 3x. but it something similar with m7x..

How can i reduce my CF's ? ( i don't want touch knock sensitivity maps)

Thank you

Kind Regards,
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »

But my CF values higher than 6... some times 7.5... how do i tune correctly ? i don't want reduce timing advance.

Why? You are at the knock limit.

The primary way to reduce knock is by pulling timing, which is what the ECU is already doing for you.

If you don't want to lose timing, you'll have to pull boost, enrich AFR, increase octane, decrease IAT, etc.

If you pull a bit of requested timing, you may actually get some actual back by having lower CFs.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
@lq!

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »

what's your CFs ? what's the optimal values ? bosch recomended..

also is this situation related with wrongly tuned maps ? for example i have  a stock TVUB map. and i'm using 3" maf housing with oem maf. 1x256k maf had been rescaled % increase.

I know these suggestions. but  i want to sure from my tuned maps. i know, there is a no more people's about motronic 3x..  Sad

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:06:52 PM by @lq! » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »

Honestly, 7 isn't terrible. You wont have any issues if you stay there.

If you get them below 5, you might see better timing (yes, pulling timing might get you more timing)

Just make sure they're >0 and you'll always be getting optimum timing for conditions/fuel.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
kenmac

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »

You've increased load (boost) without modifying your timing map.  This means that you're likely pushing load values into the 200's, while utilizing a stock KFZW with an axis that maxes out at 150.  This means your timing is specifying values that would be normal at a load of 150% but insane at a load of 210%, thus the ECU retards timing heavily.
@lq!

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »

Honestly, 7 isn't terrible. You wont have any issues if you stay there.

If you get them below 5, you might see better timing (yes, pulling timing might get you more timing)

Just make sure they're >0 and you'll always be getting optimum timing for conditions/fuel.

yes correct!, but when i looked 6-7 degree retard, my actual timing going to 11s.. and the car is very lazy.

please find attachment. you can look at quick log.

Thank you for your comments
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:40:33 PM by @lq! » Logged
@lq!

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »

You've increased load (boost) without modifying your timing map.  This means that you're likely pushing load values into the 200's, while utilizing a stock KFZW with an axis that maxes out at 150.  This means your timing is specifying values that would be normal at a load of 150% but insane at a load of 210%, thus the ECU retards timing heavily.

Yes, exactly.. I suspect it. but i don't have a any idea how can i scale it ?  Can i recale Y axis to 12ms's . but i think this is can be very dangerous. and i never seen good tuned KFZW map on motronic 3x.(with axis scaled)

also i think it's might be maf scaling.. if engine load calculated wrongly, i'll see abnormal retard values.. but i don't know How can I be sure, i made correctly scaled ?

Thank you for your comments
kenmac

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »

Timing corrections are coming from the readings at your knock sensors.  I wouldn't confuse this with a scaled MAF. 

I'm not sure I know of a good way to scale KFZW.  Maybe someone else can offer insight into this.  In my case, I borrowed the KFZW from a TT225 and scaled it back about 5-10% because I believe the TT uses a different crank.
prj

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:23:39 AM »

It's pretty simple, you are running too much boost and timing for your setup.
If you were tuning a standalone without amazing knock control like Motronic has, you would have melted your engine by now.
If you continue like this you will probably damage the exhaust valves and possibly the turbocharger due to huge EGT's.

Think a bit about this.

Tuning an internal combustion engine is not like playing need for speed. There are physical processes behind things, and it is a very good idea to understand them, before making changes to the engine management!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:25:12 AM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
AndiS4

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 02:28:20 AM »

An AFR of 11.5 seems to be rich to me, so this point of enrichment against knock isnt possible anymore imo.

All in all I agree with the others. Reducing boost is the main thing.

A small improvement:
Perhaps you can switch to better fuel with higher ron roz aon (depends where you come from.) And go down with the "Heat-Value" of the spark plug (sorry for my bad english Cheesy).
If you drive e.g. a NGK XXX 6 XXX, try a set of XXX 8 XXX. At NGK, the higher the value, the cooler the ignition. This reduces knock. Nippondenso goes the same way...
Attention:
Bosch spark plug values go the other way. The higher the value, the higher ign the temp.

prj

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 04:28:51 AM »

An AFR of 11.5 seems to be rich to me, so this point of enrichment against knock isnt possible anymore imo.
Depends on the engine, some make the most power as rich as 0.75 lambda.

But VAG 1.8T's tend to make most power at about 0.82-0.8, going richer to about 0.77 if advancing timing as well, does not tend to hurt performance, anything richer than that starts hurting performance even with advanced timing.

Of course this is speaking about a fairly stock engine...

Log your car properly.
kenmac

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »

He just needs to fix his load axis on KFZW.
Nottingham

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:48:46 AM »

And rescale the values I assume?
Is there other axises which should be generally scaled on ME7.5?
I´ve already scaled the KFZWOP(/2) axis and values to match the rescaled KFMIOP (for raised KFMIRL).
KFLBTS should be fine with the original load axis as it is rich enough @ 150%?

prj

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 07:51:21 AM »

That will accomplish nothing. On contrary, if you only scale the axis you will advance timing all over the place.
The existing data needs to be consolidated, more range added and the top end needs to be filled in correctly.

But you are assuming this is somehow his problem, when it's not. He is on M3.8, not ME7.

I don't know why you guys are talking about KFZW/OP, KFLBTS, KFMIOP and what not here. There is no torque model in M3.8.

Log your car properly.
@lq!

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »

Timing corrections are coming from the readings at your knock sensors.  I wouldn't confuse this with a scaled MAF. 

I'm not sure I know of a good way to scale KFZW.  Maybe someone else can offer insight into this.  In my case, I borrowed the KFZW from a TT225 and scaled it back about 5-10% because I believe the TT uses a different crank.

I do not get the reference that my friend, because TT225 has a me7x ecu.

It's pretty simple, you are running too much boost and timing for your setup.
If you were tuning a standalone without amazing knock control like Motronic has, you would have melted your engine by now.
If you continue like this you will probably damage the exhaust valves and possibly the turbocharger due to huge EGT's.

Think a bit about this.

Tuning an internal combustion engine is not like playing need for speed. There are physical processes behind things, and it is a very good idea to understand them, before making changes to the engine management!

Yes,right.. i'm reading bosch engine management documents etc..
i'll try reduce a bit ignition @highloads.

All in all I agree with the others. Reducing boost is the main thing.

A small improvement:
Perhaps you can switch to better fuel with higher ron roz aon (depends where you come from.) And go down with the "Heat-Value" of the spark plug (sorry for my bad english Cheesy).
If you drive e.g. a NGK XXX 6 XXX, try a set of XXX 8 XXX. At NGK, the higher the value, the cooler the ignition. This reduces knock. Nippondenso goes the same way...
Attention:
Bosch spark plug values go the other way. The higher the value, the higher ign the temp.

i had a 12s and i don't have a any problem. but fuel quality big factor for good timing. therefore I went back to 11.5s. i'm looking all situations..

I have a NGK 7x spark plugs. i think 8 more extreme for my setup. Smiley
And rescale the values I assume?
Is there other axises which should be generally scaled on ME7.5?
I´ve already scaled the KFZWOP(/2) axis and values to match the rescaled KFMIOP (for raised KFMIRL).
KFLBTS should be fine with the original load axis as it is rich enough @ 150%?

That will accomplish nothing. On contrary, if you only scale the axis you will advance timing all over the place.
The existing data needs to be consolidated, more range added and the top end needs to be filled in correctly.

But you are assuming this is somehow his problem, when it's not. He is on M3.8, not ME7.

I don't know why you guys are talking about KFZW/OP, KFLBTS, KFMIOP and what not here. There is no torque model in M3.8.

Yes we don't have a any information about motronic 3 torque model and management..Nobody does not share information.longer an old ecu.. very interesting...

I think, talking about it.

i did rescale KFZW map X axsis. please find in attachment. just change, i changed map offset & factor value. old value 0.050000 new value is 0.060000.. correct or wrong.. it just example.

now it's going to 12ms load. But now advance timing all over the place. it can be dangerous. we need good tuned KFZW map or engine torque model... I have not seen a axis scaled KFZW map...

The summary,

CF's not good and not bad. but it maybe better.

physical factors can reduce it .. low iat,high octane,meth injection etc.,colder sparks,coilpack upgrades..We all know it.

it can lead to incorrect tuned maps ? load request (Kennfeld LDR-Sollwert,Linearisierung der Heißfilmspannung, etc) or fueling.. ?

i cannot see fuel trims on my me3x.. therefore I can not find the reference and can not be sure.

I think the topic would be helpful for everyone.

Thank you for all the comments.

Regards,
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: