Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Audi TT 8N Cluster Swap  (Read 5813 times)
prj

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2023, 08:15:20 PM »

I thought the cluster would have been backwards compatibility? I have a spare ECM from another 1.8T if it’s immo 3 can I just flash it to this file? Is there more to it software wise?
How the fuck did you come up with that? No, you can't flash to it, it won't run the car, there are hardware differences.

If I can’t adapt the cluster would this ECU work?
https://imgur.com/a/HuHYZ5x
No, see above post by BlackT.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
blairdude

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2023, 12:46:26 AM »

How the fuck did you come up with that? No, you can't flash to it, it won't run the car, there are hardware differences.
No, see above post by BlackT.

Probably because it works on other VAG platforms just fine.  I have an IMMO2 ECU in my car (00 ALH Jetta), and an IMMO3 cluster installed.  Immobilizer works perfectly in that setting.
prj

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2023, 11:29:02 AM »

Probably because it works on other VAG platforms just fine.  I have an IMMO2 ECU in my car (00 ALH Jetta), and an IMMO3 cluster installed.  Immobilizer works perfectly in that setting.
In that case either your ECU or your cluster is IMMO2 and IMMO3 both.
One of them has to have support both, some do, most don't.

Log your car properly.
blairdude

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2023, 11:39:30 AM »

In that case either your ECU or your cluster is IMMO2 and IMMO3 both.
One of them has to have support both, some do, most don't.

My ECU EEPROM has no VIN or SKC stored in it, which I believe are required for IMMO3 compatibility. I'm pretty sure it's just the cluster that is backwards compatible.
prj

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2023, 12:01:28 PM »

My ECU EEPROM has no VIN or SKC stored in it, which I believe are required for IMMO3 compatibility. I'm pretty sure it's just the cluster that is backwards compatible.
Which can happen, IIRC there's a couple 2.7TT clusters that are like that too.
But only those around '00 during the changeover.

Log your car properly.
blairdude

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2023, 12:02:39 PM »

Which can happen, IIRC there's a couple 2.7TT clusters that are like that too.
But only those around '00 during the changeover.

The cluster in my car is from an 04/05 Passat
stuydub

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2023, 10:33:12 PM »

in most cases immo 2 ecus have a generic SKC/pin which is the same across all VAG platforms... and dont need pairing to a cluster just adapting
immo 2 clusters only use the SKC/pin to pair keys as immo is stored in cluster...

immo3 use SKC/pin to pair ecu to cluster as is required for channel 50 ecu adaption and 21 key matching (wont work if immo off)

immo 3 clusters work on immo 2 ecus just need SKC/pin from immo 3 cluster no need for channel 50 as ecu pairing not needed just key matching

immo 2 keys are not locked but once paired to a immo 3 the id48 chip locks to that cluster

so
install immo 3 cluster
vcds channel 17
login
channel 21
pair key/s
done
then de immo or leave as not requried on immo2

prj

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2023, 04:46:34 AM »

WFS2 and WFS3 protocol is different.
Most ECU's/Clusters that are either one or the other, and you will never ever adapt them to both.

There has to be specific support baked into either the cluster or the ECU to take both.

WFS4 is again completely different.

Log your car properly.
Geomeo

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2023, 08:37:03 AM »

WFS2 and WFS3 protocol is different.
Most ECU's/Clusters that are either one or the other, and you will never ever adapt them to both.

There has to be specific support baked into either the cluster or the ECU to take both.

WFS4 is again completely different.
Where do you find this information?  Did you reverse engineer the TT cluster?
prj

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2023, 01:36:51 PM »

Where do you find this information?  Did you reverse engineer the TT cluster?
Much simpler than that, the specifications for the WFS are one of many things that have leaked.
There are PDF documents describing exactly how they work.

Knowing that, there has to be some sort of compatibility layer to bridge between immo generations.
Blindly assuming that every single dash and/or ECU has this implemented is just dumb.
In fact this assumption has ended in disappointment many, many times on this forum.

If both the cluster and the ECU are immo 2 capable, then to adapt ECU to cluster, it is enough to go into the cluster and write 0 to adaptation channel 0.
Then coding the keys to the cluster. If it lets you and the immo light goes out, then it is compatible with immo 2, if not, then it's not, and there's nothing you are going to do to change this.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 01:39:19 PM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
Geomeo

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2023, 04:28:04 PM »

Much simpler than that, the specifications for the WFS are one of many things that have leaked.
There are PDF documents describing exactly how they work.

Knowing that, there has to be some sort of compatibility layer to bridge between immo generations.
Blindly assuming that every single dash and/or ECU has this implemented is just dumb.
In fact this assumption has ended in disappointment many, many times on this forum.

If both the cluster and the ECU are immo 2 capable, then to adapt ECU to cluster, it is enough to go into the cluster and write 0 to adaptation channel 0.
Then coding the keys to the cluster. If it lets you and the immo light goes out, then it is compatible with immo 2, if not, then it's not, and there's nothing you are going to do to change this.
Appreciate the info.  There was a class action lawsuit against VW for the TT cluster here in North America which I missed out on. Previous owner to the car threw away the recall letter I guess. Anyway VW ended up having to replace a bunch of those clusters.  I think that was in 2009 maybe 2010.  Not sure if that has anything to do with them being compatible or not?  If VW had to replace all the old bad pixel clusters with new clusters I wouldn't expect them to go back the way in immo type?  I never liked the TT cluster much, it seems like a real bad design.  Well I say that, but it's probably just too much heat where it resides.  It becomes very pixelated after a while.  I had intensions of redesigning it with a full on LCD screen, that would incorporate boost gauge, logging mode, also a 5 second glimpse at Houston transtar traffic maps when I turn the ignition on, but that's way over my head and would take me a very long time to build something so complex. I did have high expectations when I was younger. REAL HIGH!  The temp gauge and fuel gauge also fail in the cluster.  Plenty of companies around that do refurbs though.  I'll keep an eye out for that PDF.  Thanks for letting me know about it. 
prj

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2023, 10:50:13 AM »

The cluster hardware can be exactly the same.
It can just have different software in it (I don't mean the eeprom which just has settings).

For example there are some 2.7TT S4 clusters which look exactly the same, yet have different immo generations.
I've found that out as well a couple of times when I could not adapt a cluster to an immo 2 car, then got an identical looking one with a different part number and it adapted fine.

Log your car properly.
joaquinmjuan

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2024, 01:29:15 PM »

Hello, I am trying with an A3 8L dashboard. I have noticed that this model has the same dashboard as the Audi TT. It's the same board, Marelli, but with different software and casing. In the case of the A3, there is also a dashboard, VDO. This one doesn't fail. It works perfectly, it is easier to program, and the idea I have is to adapt this dashboard to an Audi TT. In fact, physically, I already have. I still need to test the issue of compatibility with the ECU....and that's where I ask for advice... I haven't tried it yet. These dahsboards, like the Audi TT ones, can be programmed for Inmo 2 or Inmo 3. Well, if anyone has done this, or done tests, I would appreciate it. If I progress with the topic, I will let you know. Greetings!.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: