Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mount AEM 30-0300 on narrowband ECU  (Read 3533 times)
Razorte

« on: March 20, 2023, 07:32:55 AM »

Hi,

Has anyone ever installed an AEM 30-0300 instead of the narrowband on a Golf 4 GTI while keeping the original ECU ?
I would like to replace the narrowband with the wideband AEM but with the original ECU (narrow band).

Razorte

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 05:28:35 AM »

With this maybe ?
https://www.14point7.com/products/spartan-lambda-controller-2
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 08:23:52 AM »

Wideband ecu costs few bucks
If you want to add 'early 2000s' gauge with AFR for your beast, just weld a nut and drop in additional sensor
Razorte

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 10:42:56 AM »

If you want to add 'early 2000s' gauge with AFR for your beast, just weld a nut and drop in additional sensor

Yes, it's still the easiest, I'll do that, thanks
sda2

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 12:36:22 AM »

Or go with ME7 wideband and install a CAN gauge somewhere. Has the benefit of using the real ECU value. Code modification needed but it was not that difficult when I had my MK4.
Razorte

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 08:37:40 AM »

Or go with ME7 wideband and install a CAN gauge somewhere. Has the benefit of using the real ECU value. Code modification needed but it was not that difficult when I had my MK4.

Do you have a link for this modification pls?
prj

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 01:38:55 PM »

You need to take one of the CAN messagse, find an empty byte and write lamsons in there with some scaling.
Then configure the gauge to read it off of PTCAN.

You can open the FR, look at the structure of the message, and one easy variable with which to locate it is miist.
It's pretty much used in only a couple places, one of which is the CAN subroutines.

Nobody is going to do that for you because it requires some specific work, which is pretty useless for anyone except you.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Razorte

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 07:57:12 AM »

You need to take one of the CAN messagse, find an empty byte and write lamsons in there with some scaling.
Then configure the gauge to read it off of PTCAN.

You can open the FR, look at the structure of the message, and one easy variable with which to locate it is miist.
It's pretty much used in only a couple places, one of which is the CAN subroutines.

Nobody is going to do that for you because it requires some specific work, which is pretty useless for anyone except you.

Finally, it might be simpler to add an AEM (aftermarket engine management) alongside the original system instead  Grin
prj

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 08:04:59 AM »

Finally, it might be simpler to add an AEM (aftermarket engine management) alongside the original system instead  Grin
It depends on your skill.
If you know what you are doing then it's much simpler and faster to mod the ECU to output the variable, because you only need to tap the PTCAN in addition to the power connection to the gauge.
No additional expensive sensor that needs replacement, no hole drilling, no bung welding etc.

Log your car properly.
sda2

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 10:37:13 AM »

Right. And as I said before, you are using the same value as the ECU does internally. When looking for unwanted behaviour, this can be of value.
prj

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 01:04:03 PM »

Right. And as I said before, you are using the same value as the ECU does internally. When looking for unwanted behaviour, this can be of value.
I disagree. The internal diagnostics for the lambda sensor are very good on Bosch ECU's.
It will detect an error and give you a CEL way before you suspect or notice that anything is wrong.

It's not a crappy standalone that takes the signal at face value.
You will have to switch from narrowband to wideband ECU though. Which if you are doing any tuning you should anyway.
It's running a couple extra wires, and that's it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 01:06:16 PM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
Razorte

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 01:17:07 AM »

I disagree. The internal diagnostics for the lambda sensor are very good on Bosch ECU's.
It will detect an error and give you a CEL way before you suspect or notice that anything is wrong.

It's not a crappy standalone that takes the signal at face value.
You will have to switch from narrowband to wideband ECU though. Which if you are doing any tuning you should anyway.
It's running a couple extra wires, and that's it.

For now, i am only 630CC+stage1+E85.
I was looking for a simple and quick way to check my AFR, but I'm a beginner in tuning.

I'll wait a bit longer and switch to a wideband ECU.
My modification seems good because my sensor is stuck at 0.8V and my exhaust temperatures don't exceed 700° at 6000 RPM.

Thank you both Smiley
adam-

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 01:51:15 AM »

How do you know it doesn't exceed 700*?
Razorte

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 02:03:48 AM »

How do you know it doesn't exceed 700*?

Me7Logger and EGTModelBeforeCat
prj

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 02:23:13 AM »

Me7Logger and EGTModelBeforeCat
That tells you nothing about your real EGT. It is not modeled on E85.
That said, EGT is not going to be a problem on E85 anyway.

Log your car properly.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: