Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DQ250 Diesel to petrol  (Read 1371 times)
Norwegian1.8T

« on: June 01, 2023, 12:08:50 PM »

Hi,
Im wanting to swap me 1.8T ME7.5 to DSG, because reasons.. Smiley
Since there are practically zero DQ250 4motions from a petrol car for sale here (Yes ive checked everywhere), i'm considering getting one from a diesel. Yes, i am aware of the issues with "taller" gearing etc.
Now the reason i come here for help, i have zero DSG tuning experience, i have done some ME7.5 tuning with success.
Game plan, flash my current ECU with an auto software, so ME7.5 parses the data given from the DSG.
Option 1: Retune the entire DQ250 to suit a petrol engine
Option 2: Reflash the DQ250 to petrol software, and redo the gear ratios, and some fine tuning (Not sure if this is possible)
Option 3: Get an petrol mechatronic and redo the gear ratios and fine tune.

Has anyone done something similiar to this before?

I'm sure im wrong in many ways but im keen to do it so want to hear others thoughts  Grin
prj

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 02:10:02 PM »

Option 1 out of the question.
Option 3 is pointless, the mechatronic units are the same.

Option 2 is a start, but it's not so simple.
Because the gear ratios are different ALL the shiftmaps must be redone from scratch. Otherwise gearbox will yo-yo like crazy between gears, because the rev drop is much higher than the shiftmaps "expect".
It will shift up and then if the revs go even a little lower immediately shift down again, and repeat and you will be stuck in a shift loop...

Look at the amount of shiftmaps that there are then think if it's worth it or not.
Some of it can be calculated, other stuff you will need to test and dial in when driving.

I've done this once and never again lol.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
_nameless

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 04:10:31 PM »

Hi,
Im wanting to swap me 1.8T ME7.5 to DSG, because reasons.. Smiley
Since there are practically zero DQ250 4motions from a petrol car for sale here (Yes ive checked everywhere), i'm considering getting one from a diesel. Yes, i am aware of the issues with "taller" gearing etc.
Now the reason i come here for help, i have zero DSG tuning experience, i have done some ME7.5 tuning with success.
Game plan, flash my current ECU with an auto software, so ME7.5 parses the data given from the DSG.
Option 1: Retune the entire DQ250 to suit a petrol engine
Option 2: Reflash the DQ250 to petrol software, and redo the gear ratios, and some fine tuning (Not sure if this is possible)
Option 3: Get an petrol mechatronic and redo the gear ratios and fine tune.

Has anyone done something similiar to this before?

I'm sure im wrong in many ways but im keen to do it so want to hear others thoughts  Grin
A Prj said its not as simple as just cooking up a file with mixed stock calibrations. I've done it a few times and the first time was a complete nightmare.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
tao13

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 10:15:55 PM »

Put a petrol one. The diesel one is tooooooooo long , will be a shit when you will drive. Trust me!
Norwegian1.8T

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 11:37:36 PM »

Guess i'll keep looking for an DQ250 from a petrol then.
In the worst case i guess i'll have to go down the nightmare route and redo alot of the shift maps etc on an petrol software to suit diesel gear ratios.
I'll be posting my findings here and maybe helping others later Smiley
I couldnt seem to find any solid information about someone redoing it for diesel ratios so guess ill start from scratch   Embarrassed
vwmaniac

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 10:33:44 AM »

ill give you the same advice as the other guy. what mech do you have? best guess would be to use an AL Fxx and base software from a front wheel drive 3.6 dsg as the ratios are similar to diesel 4 cylinder and swap you original ratios in. the shift maps may be close enough to work. good luck
MirXas

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 01:41:28 AM »

You can source two dq250's - one petrol fwd and a diesel 4wd, swap the front housing and differential assembly (as a whole, or just the big ring gear, depending if it has the same number of teeth) and it will be a proper petrol 4wd gearbox. I did exactly this, because it was much more financially effective than just buying a 4wd petrol dsg.
Up until I did that, I ran a 1.8tfsi dsg software with diesel gear ratios and modified shift maps etc., it was not ideal, but it was fine.
prj

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 02:15:26 AM »

You can source two dq250's - one petrol fwd and a diesel 4wd, swap the front housing and differential assembly (as a whole, or just the big ring gear, depending if it has the same number of teeth) and it will be a proper petrol 4wd gearbox. I did exactly this, because it was much more financially effective than just buying a 4wd petrol dsg.
Up until I did that, I ran a 1.8tfsi dsg software with diesel gear ratios and modified shift maps etc., it was not ideal, but it was fine.
First good solution here.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: