Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dq250 engine conversion  (Read 3213 times)
Thomasaspin

« on: June 05, 2023, 11:35:57 AM »

Hi guys and girls , I’m doing something slightly out there and need some advice , I’m planning on  using a DQ250 gearbox on a rover K series turbo engine from around 2003 , with the use of an adapter plate and custom flywheel , my question is I have a obtained a dq250 for rather cheap from a donor Skoda superb 2.0L diesel now I know the mechatronics map will be set to shift at diesel type rpms etc , my question is what basic hardware and software do I need to read & write mechatronics and what basic software do I need to edit the map (winols I have looked at) and is it possible to just re do the map to suit a petrol engine ? Kind regards
Thomas aspin
prj

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 02:59:16 PM »

If you need to ask these questions then you won't do it yourself.
This means it's cheaper to sell the transmission and buy a gasoline one, as this is a big job and not every tuner is going to manage to do it right either.
The tune is gonna cost more than a gasoline trans.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Thomasaspin

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 10:34:58 PM »

The idea of the project is to do it all ourselves , so the negativity really isn’t helpful , anything is possible hence why we are using our own custom made ecu to run the Dsg … my question was what hardware on software would I need to be able to play around with reading/writing the mechatronics and what software I would need to compile / edit the map file
d3irb

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 11:01:00 AM »

You are better off finding a petrol box which is already calibrated close to how you want and focusing on making the CAN messaging and torque reduction requests work properly on whatever "custom made ECU" you have (this is a big task in and of itself, I hope you have a good understanding of torque management!) rather than trying to do two things at once.

What prj is saying is that if you can't figure this out using Google, you're going to really struggle with actually doing the work.

Virtually any aftermarket tuner (PCM, bFlash, Autotuner, MMS, KESS, Trasdata, whatever other stuff has crawled out of a swamp lately) will flash DQ250.

You should probably understand how control modules work before you undertake this venture. Any hex editor can edit the calibration area for a control module, it's just data. WinOLS is the best enhanced hex editor because it has good tools for comparing files and finding map data by looking at patterns. You will want map definitions (DAMOS/A2L, OLS map pack, etc.). If one isn't available for your DSG software version, you will need the ability to cross-correlate maps by hand by looking at similar files and patterns in the data. WinOLS has good tools for this but it's a skill.

As for the diesel gearbox: I don't know Skoda Superb particularly, but my guess is that this diesel box was cheap for a reason. The gear ratios are going to be fundamentally bad for petrol and you will need to do extensive modification of the DSG calibration. This means you will need a definition file with very complete map definitions (ideally an A2L) which may be hard to find for your gearbox software version. You might not be able to see the maps you need to edit with the common bad OLS projects out there. And you will need to learn the full control strategy of the gearbox (Funktionsrahmen will help here) which is time consuming.
Thomasaspin

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 11:15:44 AM »

Cheers for the reply mate  , we are using an MDAC rabbit ecu to control Dsg with the use of a Bosch electronic throttle body and Bosch throttle pedal from a MG6 1.8 TSE my question is regarding wether the cheap Ali express universal Dsg reader / writer will work , I have been looking at WINOLS for a while but it seems very expensive for a hobbyist level so was seeing from people who do this all the time what the way to go about it is, what would happen if say you stick a petrol Dsg file on the mechatronic of a diesel dq250 ? https://obddiagnostic.co.uk/product/mini-dsg-reader
prj

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 06:25:32 PM »

If you write a petrol file it won't go into gear and/or destroy the synchros, because the gearbox ratios are wrong.
If you correct the gear ratios it will shift up and down non-stop in a loop because all the shift maps are wrong.

This is a very difficult task for those who do this for a living, you can't even use google.
Buy a gasoline box and forget it. Even if someone makes it work the gear ratios will suck anyway for a gasoline engine.

Log your car properly.
Thomasaspin

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 11:51:39 AM »

Cheers for the reply , I’m skeptical to think you don’t really want to help me as to just make me look like I’m a fool which I can assure you I am not , I merely came here to ask some technical questions which I thought this forum was for , my expertise is in mechanical engineering not software/coding but i thought I would give it a good go so apologies if the question came across as stupid for someone of your technical ability but please remember that we all start from the bottom and I can assume you were at that point at one stage , I got the gearbox super cheap £75 to be precise with a mechatronic failure , I stripped the full mechatronics unit  and found one of the crimps had disintegrated on the ribbon cable , which has since been fixed , so I would rather spend some time messing around with the TCU mapping side and see if I can do it myself which would feel a lot more beneficial rather than just throwing money at a second hand petrol dq250 which are a lot harder to acquire for less than 1000 GBP
prj

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 12:13:42 PM »

Your mechanical engineering background will clearly not be of any use, because it is probably in a completely unrelated field.

what would happen if say you stick a petrol Dsg file on the mechatronic of a diesel dq250 ?
Asking this question shows complete lack of understanding of how the gearbox works.

The questions you are asking are not technical. They are something that you can find in <5 minutes of Google usage.
If you can't accomplish that, you are never going to get this gearbox to work, end of story.

You're not entitled to any help. But you are receiving a recommendation from someone who did this for a living for over ten years.
I've done the exact thing you're trying to do. It took me over 20 hours the first time, I knew exactly what I was doing.
Re-calibrating all the shiftmaps from complete scratch and sorting out the shift gradients just takes a shitton of time and driving, and that's when you have all the tools and data + full knowledge of how it works.

You're gonna take 200+ hours. I don't care if you got the box for free, it's cheaper and much better for the end result to buy a petrol box.
Playing victim here and whining is not going to get you anywhere whatsoever, nor is anyone going to give you a handout.

Log your car properly.
Thomasaspin

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 12:34:02 PM »

I don’t want any kind of handout , I don’t care if it takes me a year to do , I do this for fun not for money , hence why I want to get budget equipment / software and do it at a hobbyist level , and then I will probably be able to help other people to do it which seems to be what you don’t want to do …..
prj

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 12:45:37 PM »

I don’t want any kind of handout
Great, come back here when you have a real calibration related question. Until then, goodbye.

Log your car properly.
vwmaniac

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 10:29:34 AM »

you need to figure out what mech unit you have. the best guess would be to use newer AL fxx mech and front wheel drive us spec passat 3.6 dsg file and change ratios there as the original ratios are very close to 4 cylinder diesel to begin with so shift patterns might not be too bad. good luck
prj

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 06:30:33 PM »

you need to figure out what mech unit you have. the best guess would be to use newer AL fxx mech and front wheel drive us spec passat 3.6 dsg file and change ratios there as the original ratios are very close to 4 cylinder diesel to begin with so shift patterns might not be too bad. good luck
I disagree, they're not close, especially in the first few gears.
All the shift maps and gradients still have to be redone.
Also 3.6 is not a good file to start with, because the stall speeds and a bunch of other stuff is not suitable for a turbocharged 4 cylinder...

Log your car properly.
Thomasaspin

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 05:02:59 AM »

Vw maniac cheers for the reply mate , I’ve bought some basic hardware from Ali express for reading the mech so hopefully once that arrives I can get stuck in , I will find out what version  mech I have is this best done by reading the software from the box or by taking the oil sump off and checking on the mechatronics itself for a serial number
Kind regards
Thomas aspin
MirXas

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2023, 04:45:37 AM »

Connect with VCDS and check the "Advanced ID" tab for mech unit code. Also there is a software identification code somewhere in the measuring blocks.
vwmaniac

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2023, 06:45:41 AM »

I disagree, they're not close, especially in the first few gears.
All the shift maps and gradients still have to be redone.
Also 3.6 is not a good file to start with, because the stall speeds and a bunch of other stuff is not suitable for a turbocharged 4 cylinder...
i have a 3.6 fwd trans hooked up to a 2.8 12v and it works nicely perhaps that would be the better gear set and mech unit to use. one of my customers with a mk4 vrt has been pushing 600+ whp thru one with stock clutches and stage 3 tune. The awd vr6 dsg gears are just too short and people seem to break 4th gear because of that. the Fxx mech that they come with is also a nice bonus plus the fact that in the us they are less expensive to buy used than just about any other dsg box.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: