Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nefmoto wont connect.  (Read 8940 times)
BlackA6

« on: October 08, 2023, 03:13:06 PM »

Hello. I followed the guide to get started. I installed the driver(s) and nefmoto software. When I plug my kkl in for the first time, windows automatically install the driver to use it. I did download the d2xxx driver and unzipped it to a diff directory. When connected to the car and opening the software via start menu (as directed by the guide), it does not connect. When I click refresh device, nothing shows up. What am I doing wrong?
prj

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 04:46:44 PM »

What are you trying to connect to?
You're not trying a 2017 car, are you?

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
BlackA6

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 07:31:34 PM »

Haha, you guessed it. I have a 2017 Audi A6.
_nameless

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 07:53:01 PM »

Yeah unfortunately your car is about 12 years too new for nefmoto.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
BlackA6

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 11:19:44 PM »

Damn.

Does anyone know how I can get my bin file? All the other tuning software, ie hp tuner, encrypts the files.

i want to get into binary tuning.
adam-

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 11:22:54 PM »

This can only go wrong.
_nameless

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 01:46:02 AM »

Eh, I'll bite...

The ECU in your car should be a SIMOS 18.1. When it comes to "cheap tools," your options are somewhat limited. I believe you can WRITE a "virtual read," file also known as VR, using a cloned Kess tool (priced between $80 and $100). However, it will not read the file from the ECU directly. Additionally, writing through the port without a recovery option is potentially risky. If you brick your ECU, you'll find yourself in a difficult situation without a way to recover it. Having a full bench/bootmode backup would enable recovery, but unfortunately, no affordable bench tools are available. The most budget-friendly tool for reading and writing this ECU on the bench would be the KT200 / Fox Flash (costing around $600), which is also a clone tool, and meaning no factory support. If you rely solely on port flashing and your ECU becomes bricked, you'll likely need to urgently seek someone who can provide a solution, so keep this in mind $$$.

Your best option for data logging would be to use VehiCAL, but it requires a subscription and the purchase of a J2543 cable. Tuning will require editing software. I shared some SIMOS definition files around Christmas last year, but you would need a copy of WinOLS to use them. Also, it's worth noting that the exact software version may not be available, so you may need to compare a defined version with yours and transfer the maps accordingly. WinOLS costs $1100 USD for a legitimate version, but cracked versions are available, primarily versions 1.5, 1.7, 2.23, version 4.5, and version 4.7. Versions 1.5 and 1.7 are quite old but still have useful checksum modules like ME7 ST10. However, they only work on 32-bit operating systems, or at least, in the past, I've had no success running them on a 64-bit OS. They work best within a virtual machine or on a Windows XP machine. Version 2.23 can be installed natively on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, and I must admit that before I purchased the legitimate version of OLS, this was my go-to version. It does have some bugs, especially if you select too many options too quickly. Occasionally, although very rarely, it may crash, so it's essential to save your work as you go. Versions 4.5 and 4.7 can be installed natively but require changing the date before running to backdate the software to a point when it was still valid. Some of the newer cracks automatically adjust the system date on launch, but this can disrupt web certificates, making internet browsing virtually impossible without exiting the software. Versions 4.5 and 4.7 also exist in a virtual machine (VM), but unfortunately, they are painfully slow. Furthermore, the VM versions can only be launched a limited number of times before they cease to work. A workaround is to leave the VM in a suspended state and keep OLS open the entire time.

The only other option for tuning yourself is to use online editors like StageX or Speed Weaver. I had subscriptions to both; however, I greatly prefer StageX over SW and now exclusively use StageX. They do have their downsides, though. For instance, StageX does not use map acronyms, and it can be somewhat slow. However, since version 2 was released, it has improved significantly.

If you'd prefer not to invest in a tool costing over $600 to flash your car and would like the peace of mind of having a recovery option, you can send me the ECU from your car, and I can perform a full read. This way, even if you happen to brick your ECU by chance, it can still be recovered. Also, if you chose to go down this rabbit hole, you can use Kess and it can ID ecu and this information can be used to find a VR. If you get this far I'll check my resources and if I have it I'll post it up here on the forum. Also, if you have a Hp Tuners file I can extract the cal out of their archive.

Someone also made a open source flasher  https://github.com/bri3d/VW_Flash/releases
Personally I have not looked into this at all, but I do think a dev thread exists on the form some place you should be able to find easy.
Best of luck.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
BlackA6

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 04:15:02 AM »

Thanks a lot for all the info. I do have a spare ecu just in case Wink. I've bricked many of ecu's back in my GM days. I do have a simos 18.16. I will take a loot at what you mentioned and  explore a bit. I have been looking at WINOLS and boy that is like a foreign language for sure. I will also look into a bench station as well. I had one for my GM and it was very convenient.

Thanks again, greatly appreciate it.
prj

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 04:53:11 AM »

You have Simos 18.6.

First step is get a J2534 interface. Tactrix OpenPort for example. Get a legitimate one, not a china special.
Then you can try if VWFlash will work for you.

If VWFlash works you can use my logger to log the car, this will cost you ~100 EUR for a perpetual license for your car.
That will take care of flashing and logging.

For editing WinOLS is the way to go, also the Simos 18 FR is nice to have as a reference.
Beware, there's like 30 000+ pages of manual there.
This is not something you are going to do in a month or two, it will take you a very long time.

If your purpose is learning, then go down the rabbithole, if you just want a tune for your car, then pay someone to do it, it's infinitely cheaper and easier than getting all the tools and know-how for doing just the one car.

Log your car properly.
IamwhoIam

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 06:44:30 AM »

Just to add my 0.02, if the car has an automatic/dual clutch transmission, that will also need to be taken care of before you can start tuning the engine properly. Otherwise you'll run into torque limitation issues that you won't be able to fix in the calibration only, except if you cheat torque like 99% of the file service dumbtards out there and then wonder why your shifts are crap. So I'm with prj on this one, pay someone who has the proper tools to do it, if you want it done properly.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
BlackA6

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 11:02:52 PM »

I appreciate your input as well. I do have a tcu tune for my zf8 that my car is running. Looking at the trans file, thats a whole nothing world than the GM world as well lol. I do have tuners for both ecu and tcu.

Will Nefmoto ever be able to connect to the 2017 in the future? I really like the community here and the assistance that's offered here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 11:05:35 PM by BlackA6 » Logged
IamwhoIam

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 07:34:38 AM »

Will Nefmoto ever be able to connect to the 2017 in the future? I really like the community here and the assistance that's offered here.

Isn't nefmoto abandonware? I don't see it ever working on simos, it doesn't even do all types of ME7 properly LOL

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
_nameless

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2023, 10:36:50 AM »

Isn't nefmoto abandonware? I don't see it ever working on simos, it doesn't even do all types of ME7 properly LOL
I think its open course now and few "newer" versions have been released with bug fixes and I think  quick flash enabled, I'm not 100% sure tho, just going by what I remember reading a few years ago

prj

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 10:49:43 AM »

I appreciate your input as well. I do have a tcu tune for my zf8 that my car is running. Looking at the trans file, thats a whole nothing world than the GM world as well lol. I do have tuners for both ecu and tcu.
ZF8 does not really need tuning on this car with this engine.
It will never ever be able to connect to it...

What you are asking is about the same level as asking if your car will be able to take you to the moon in the future. Probably not.

Also, I am not sure why you think it matters if the nefmoto flashtool connects to your car or not.
What does that even have to do with anything?

Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 11:13:53 AM »

abandonware is a term I only use for closed source things like setzi's logger and the zillion other eeprom tools stupid people insist on keeping closed source.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: