Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Logging ME7.5 with CH34X cable and ME7Logger  (Read 3113 times)
sidicer

« on: November 17, 2023, 02:12:19 PM »

ME7Logger with CH34X
Logging ME7.5 ECU Live data with ME7Logger and (cheap/clone) CH34X cable
You need to have your ECU's map file (.bin) already either by Reading your ECU with NefMoto or MPPS or by downloading stock map from the internet

tl;dr
Code:
connection: 0x00
baud: 125000
samples: 50
# No need to remove cluster fuse or pull any wires from ecu to obd port

Pre-requisites

Preparation
  • 0. cd /path/to/ME7Logger
  • 1. Place your .bin file in ME7Logger/images
  • 2. Generate an ECU definition from your maps binary
  •     ./bin/ME7Info images/your-binary.bin
  •     # This will create an your-binary.ecu definition file in ME7Logger/ecus
  • 3. Generate a configuration file (what to log) from the same binary
  •     ./bin/ME7Info -t images/your-binary.bin
  •     # This will create a your-binary_template.cfg file in ME7Logger/logs
  • 4. Modify the .ecu file to change connection from SLOW-0x11 to SLOW-0x00
  •     and LogSpeed from 56000 to 125000
  •     sed -i 's\SLOW-0x11\SLOW-0x00\g' ecus/your-binary.ecu
  •     sed -i 's\LogSpeed     = 56000\LogSpeed     = 125000\g' ecus/your-binary.ecu
  • 5. Modify the .cfg file to change the SamplesPerSecond to 50
  •     sed -i 's\SamplesPerSecond   = 20\SamplesPerSecond   = 50\g' logs/your-binary_template.cfg
  • 6. Manually edit the .cfg file and uncomment which sensors you will be logging
  •     vim logs/your-binary_template.cfg
  •     # delete ';' in front of the sensor name
  • 7. Note down which port the cable is using
  •     7.1 Windows: Check Device Manager which COM port is listed for device # example: COM4
  •     7.2 Linux: sudo dmesg | grep 'ch341-uart\|tty' # example: ttyUSB0

Log
  • 1. Plug in the CH34X cable into the OBD2 port
  • 2. Turn the ignition ON
  • 3. DO NOT START YOUR VEHICLE YET! # note: if you lose connection you will have to shut off the engine to reconnect
  • 4. Start the logger:
  •     cd /path/to/ME7Logger
  •     ./bin/ME7Logger -p <COM4/ttyUSB0> your-binary_template.cfg
  •     # -p should match the port you found in previous step 6
  •     # your .cfg file should match on what you had generated in step 3
  •     # steps 4.2 and 5 can be skipped by passing those values with -b 125000 and -s 50
  • 5. Once you see -> Start logging (logdatat size=39, 50...) oooOoOOooooOOOo it means you're logging.

That's it. After a run hit CTRL+C to stop the logger and locate your log in /path/to/ME7Logger/logs/<name>_<date>_<time>.csv

Notes
  • - Tested and confirmed working with "KKL VAG-COM for 409.1" cable that has CH340 chip inside on Windows 10 64-bit system and Arch Linux as well.
  • - These settings can also be applied in VisualME7Logger in the Options tab

https://github.com/sidicer | A3 8L 1.8T 180HP Quattro
Blazius

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 06:59:29 PM »

Good writeup but the main thing is the 0x00 connection,otherwise it works exactly the same as an FTDI cable...

And you can also do some asm mods to connect while the car is running. Follow prj's example but you will need disassembly experience to find the necessary locations on your file Smiley
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 07:54:56 PM »

I like the last option about visualme7logger
So you've made all this cmd things and the last one says there is a GUI for that  Grin
prj

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 02:16:03 AM »

On windows you can just use my logger, it is way easier and the patch for SLOW-0x00 is built in. It's free for the C167 ME7 controllers.

Will need to get a J2534 cable. There's lots of cheap tactrix clones on aliexpress. While I wouldn't recommend them for professional use, for hobby use they certainly work well enough.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 02:18:51 AM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
sidicer

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 07:32:14 AM »

On windows you can just use my logger, it is way easier and the patch for SLOW-0x00 is built in. It's free for the C167 ME7 controllers.

Will need to get a J2534 cable. There's lots of cheap tactrix clones on aliexpress. While I wouldn't recommend them for professional use, for hobby use they certainly work well enough.

Thank you, I have not came across your logger while searching for solutions Cheesy Right now I am already deep by 3 cables. Myself personally I don't have issues at the moment, and buying J2534 cable just to reconnect with the engine running is not something I need.

Good writeup but the main thing is the 0x00 connection,otherwise it works exactly the same as an FTDI cable...

I was not able to connect with my FTDI cable (which I bought after failing to connect with C340) Cheesy so that's why I wrote this how-to, to help total newbies like me to not waste 3-4 weeks looking for that GOLDEN cable and magical settings.
If you buy a cheap blue cable on ali/ebay - you're guaranteed to get CH340.

Also continuing about your message: not only 0x00, as with that - I wasn't able to connect as well. It's a combination of 125000 baud rate for more free k line, a 50 sample rate AND slow-0x00 connection. That is what lets you connect without a new wire pulled from ecu to obd2 OR pulling the dash fuses, as mentioned in tl;dr comment

I like the last option about visualme7logger
So you've made all this cmd things and the last one says there is a GUI for that  Grin

What I meant that this helps with VisualME7Logger as well, as it's using ME7Logger in the backend. So if you did all the changes mentioned, you would just have change COM port in Options (the -p option in cmd) and change SLOW-0x11 to SLOW-0x00 because that is not picked up by GUI from the ECU file Smiley
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 08:44:13 AM by sidicer » Logged

https://github.com/sidicer | A3 8L 1.8T 180HP Quattro
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: