Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VW Santana - Introduction  (Read 1250 times)
Maternus

« on: November 25, 2023, 08:38:12 AM »

Hello together,

after reading now in the forum for several months and first successful experience with ECU tuning i would like to introduce myself and I will also post some info maybe helpful for others.

The reason for my interest in the ME7 was, that I bought a VW Santana in China which has the very classic 1.8 naturally aspirated VW standard engine - but with a ME7.5.10, as those cars were produced until 2013.
This ECU only use a MAP sensor for mass flow measurement / calculation so firstly i was not sure if this makes a big difference - but in the end the important maps are similar.

I was doing some tuning on the engine, as i was living here for some years to work in automotive industry and was looking to run my hobby as well, as back in Germany I also used to work on older cars from VW and Audi.
Actually swap 1.8 to 1.8T would be much simpler to get better power and torque of course, but this is no option here - engine swaps are impossible and also all other modifications must be kept more or less invisible.
So modifications on this 1.8 were done for the exhaust (remove 1 cat, install 2-flute downpipe from older model so still OEM look) and camshaft (changed from 9.9 to 10.5mm stroke from 2.0 engine).
Parallel i installed a Bosch LSU 4.9 with display, which showed some lean mix at WOT.

So i thought lets modify LAMFA and ignition and then the fun began : )

NEFMOTO software unfortunately didnt work for read or write - error message show that ECU might have a protection on it.
First step was to remove the IMMO to be able to switch between 2 ECUs without issues - here the infos and programs from the forums were already super helpful and finally I got IMMO OFF.

Then i got a cable set, Galetto tool and winols ready and was able to start tuning - but then i used long time to figure out that this ME7.5.10 need a different pinout than you find in the internet. After this was clear reading and writing worked perfectly with Galetto.
After LAMFA was adjusted richer and ignition timing earlier 8 degrees in the relevant RPM range 2000-4000 I had very good result for engine torque.

The modifications for exhaust and camshaft had the effect, that the engine LTFT in the range 2500-3500 (usually under higher load on highway) went up to +7.8%, which is a clear sign that the changes had an effect.

So i was looking now for a way how to modify the injection parameters in the relevant RPM and Load range to avoid the LTFTs go bad.
I found all the needed background info in the S4 Wiki, then searched for the map FKKVS using winols 2D view, try to scale it and this is where i am at the moment. I will try a new file with +10% offset in some areas of FKKVS - if everything work well i should see then about -3% LTFTs i hope : )

Currently I have another cylinder head under revise for higher combustion ratio and higher flow by porting and valve head optimization. So after i get the understanding of the fueling mapping i will swap the head and will adjust everything again step by step.

Really thanks to all who contribute to this forum and information sharing - it is awesome.

Best Regards

Maternus

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: