Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FLashing multiple frf files to a module  (Read 238 times)
chichom

« on: May 26, 2024, 06:18:17 AM »

Hello,

I have a module on my car that needs to be flashed with updated software to rectify some problem. It has to do with j949 on recent (2019+) Audi cars. Generally this would be done via an SVM code, however all 3rd party GEKO account providers actually can't provide flash files mirror meaning the SVM procedure in ODIS-S would fail. So the fallback variant seems to be to manually flash the module with the files tha the SVM procedure would apply. That'd be straightforward when we have just a single file, but what if we have 2 files, named : FL_4K1035282_0420_BTLD_V001_S.frf and FL_4K1035282_0232_COMPLETE_V001_S.frf . The first one seems to be the bootloader and the 2nd one the actual software running on the module. However, an acquintance of mine tried to do this but the module got "bricked" right after the _btld file got flashed i.e the flashing was successful but communication to the module got lost. AFAIU doing an SVM pretty much entails downloading the respective .frf files, flashing them and subsequently downloading any online parametrization files needed and applying them to the respective module. However, when multiple files has to be flashed is there a way to figure out the correct sequence - first the bootloader and then the main software, or vice versa? Also is it possible to decrypt those files and see what's in their content? My research so far indicates that .frf are encrypted zip-like archives and inside they contain .bin files for the binary code and possibly ODX xml files for instruction about additional changes required?
prj

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 10:07:32 AM »

Try flashing the COMPLETE file, if security access fails or the expected-idents is wrong, then you first need to flash the BTLD file first to update the bootloader then the COMPLETE file.

Nothing should get bricked, but of course that's on you.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: