Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Losing boost  (Read 2128 times)
Trstenjak

« on: September 05, 2024, 03:54:00 AM »

Hey everyone,

I have an issue with my car where I lose boost around 3-4k RPM, and then it starts dropping. I'm not sure where the problem could be – maybe there's a boost leak somewhere or possibly an issue with the N75 valve. I've attached some logs as well, so maybe you could spot something I missed. I'm just looking for ideas before I start throwing money at things like a new N75

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 03:57:32 AM by Trstenjak » Logged
Audirama

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 09:22:32 AM »

While I'm unsure if this is related  to your issue, It does remind me of something I saw in the S4wiki, might be worth looking into. But it could also be a hardware issue. Maybe someone else can chime in but check this first

Cam changeover effect on requested boost

Motronic likes to change requested boost depending on cam position. While it may seem like a good idea in theory, in practice, abrupt changes in requested boost near the MAP limit can make the boost PID unhappy. When logging, you may see an odd notch in requested boost between 3000 and 4000 RPM. These maps are what is causing that notch

KFPBRK - Correction factor for combustion chamber pressure
    KFPBRKNW - Correction factor for combustion chamber pressure when NWS active
    KFPRG - Internal exhaust partial pressure dependent on cam adjustment when sumode=0
    KFURL - Conversion constant for ps->rl dependent on cam adjustment when sumode=0

It is not recommended you change these unless you know what you are doing and there is no other way to get the PID to behave.

Alternately, you can move the cam position change up past the peak boost area (via KFNW and KFNWWL), which you probably should do anyway if you have larger turbos that spool slower.

Finally, you can just use KFLDHBN to limit boost request instead of LDRXN. This method is not affected by VVT.

Credit: https://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning#Boost_(rlsol)_intervention_via_rlmax
Trstenjak

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2024, 10:02:17 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I had the car running on a Stage 1 AWT map before, but now I crossflashed it to a TT180 for testing (edited for my injector and maf size), and the result is the same so it is not the tune at fault.

I also forgot to mention that im getting the code "16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Do you think the cam chain tensioner or cam position sensor could be causing this?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 10:10:52 AM by Trstenjak » Logged
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2024, 10:22:55 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I had the car running on a Stage 1 AWT map before, but now I crossflashed it to a TT180 for testing (edited for my injector and maf size), and the result is the same so it is not the tune at fault.

I also forgot to mention that im getting the code "16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Do you think the cam chain tensioner or cam position sensor could be causing this?

So youve got a cam failure that could ends up with engine destruction and looking for a boost?
Trstenjak

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2024, 10:39:13 AM »

I'm investigating the issue and asking for ideas on what the hardware issue could be before I start throwing money at random parts. Can you elaborate on cam failure? When looking up the code on google, many people reported getting it while their car ran completely fine, so I am not even 100% sure it is related.
Audirama

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2024, 02:03:16 PM »

just based off of the code thats present and the excerpt I posted about the correlation between cam position and boost, I do agree that it would be worth it to get that resolved first and see if the boost changes any
volts

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2024, 04:02:44 AM »

So youve got a cam failure that could ends up with engine destruction and looking for a boost?

Good job on being one of the most arrogant and least helpful people on the forum.
How about telling him which worn or failed parts could be causing his "cam failure"? It's obvious that the first symptom he noticed is the loss of boost, he never said he's looking for map edits to look for "more boost" but for advice on what to check hardware wise, this was obvious in his first post when he said "boost leak somewhere or possibly an issue with the N75".
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 05:05:00 AM by volts » Logged
_nameless

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2024, 04:56:29 AM »

Good job on being one of the most arrogant and least helpful people on the forum.
LOL, what a joke, fknbrkn is one of the most helpful members on this forum. He has posted custom code for mode switching and has helped several people. You may wanna shut the fuck up and do some reading on the people you are trying to bash before you make yourself look more foolish. 
How about telling him which worn or failed parts could be causing his "cam failure"?
Im sure he will look at his magic crystal ball and tell the op exactly what the problem is... GTFOH. And, looking at your post you really have nothing to add to the topic especially if you don't even know what memory layout to use to read out a fucking ecu for christ sakes, its been covered countless times...
Gotta love the new worthless "ankle bitter" members...

Giving your mom a tuneup
volts

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2024, 05:29:37 AM »

LOL, what a joke, fknbrkn is one of the most helpful members on this forum. He has posted custom code for mode switching and has helped several people. You may wanna shut the fuck up and do some reading on the people you are trying to bash before you make yourself look more foolish.  Im sure he will look at his magic crystal ball and tell the op exactly what the problem is... GTFOH. And, looking at your post you really have nothing to add to the topic especially if you don't even know what memory layout to use to read out a fucking ecu for christ sakes, its been covered countless times...
Gotta love the new worthless "ankle bitter" members...

And yet when he replied to my post a while back after I explained what the actual situation was, he spewed nonsense about unplugging a TCU in a manual b5 and being incredibly arrogant while at it, same as here.

I didn't say he needs to fix or diagnose his car over the internet, but he could have at least said "could be X, Y or Z" instead of saying "your engine is going to blow up and you're looking for boost", such an idiotic arrogant response, literally would be better to just ignore the post than to write anything like that.

And keep being arrogant to "new worthless" members, it's a nice running theme in this forum that big members are incredibly unwelcoming. I may not post a lot but I've done my fair share of things surrounding the ME7 (Including reverse engineering in IDA) and other VAG electronics in the hobbyist fashion. Not everyone is going to be a professional earning money from this like many big members here, does that mean you have to call the people looking for knowledge "worthless"? Read up on some etiquette books.

especially if you don't even know what memory layout to use

covered countless times but not the actual difference between writing with 800BB or writing without the suffix. I've also searched on how to detect which memory layout a file uses from the actual file (as someone in the post which I necro'd recommended) with no results. All I've gotten from the post that covered memory layouts it is that BT was not used in production and can be safely ignored unless an ancient physical chip has been installed on top. The only reason I was doing all this anyways was because I was trying the Nefmoto Flasher instead of MPPS.

Why am I even telling you this? It's not like you're going to respond with any useful info, if you would want to do that, you would have done it in the post where I asked, but you're too proud of your knowledge to share it. Must be hard acting like you're better than everyone else all the time except your little elite club of non "new worthless" members.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 06:04:11 AM by volts » Logged
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2024, 06:29:14 AM »

How about telling him which worn or failed parts could be causing his "cam failure"? It's obvious that the first symptom he noticed is the loss of boost, he never said he's looking for map edits to look for "more boost" but for advice on what to check hardware wise, this was obvious in his first post when he said "boost leak somewhere or possibly an issue with the N75".

Yeah it's a good job and you're paying me alot for that, do you? Then what's the point?
Did you help him? No
Did you the same arrogant person for now with huge useless posts? Yes

, but he could have at least said "could be X, Y or Z"
Or G T F O in your case or I could post a dick picture.. sorry for your ruined expectations, but why you doesn't help him? Blaming me for same things that you do is a sick for me

Anyway
I'd say it's a some kind of 'sign' or a luck telling him to cool down with a boost and concentrate about the engine condition and this is a real advice in that case, sometimes thinking out of the box helps much more than straight way
It's a one way to searching the boost with issues at the cam gear drive, this basic knowledge comes with experience I share here
volts

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2024, 09:58:11 AM »

Yeah it's a good job and you're paying me alot for that, do you? Then what's the point?
Did you help him? No
Did you the same arrogant person for now with huge useless posts? Yes
Or G T F O in your case or I could post a dick picture.. sorry for your ruined expectations, but why you doesn't help him? Blaming me for same things that you do is a sick for me

Anyway
I'd say it's a some kind of 'sign' or a luck telling him to cool down with a boost and concentrate about the engine condition and this is a real advice in that case, sometimes thinking out of the box helps much more than straight way
It's a one way to searching the boost with issues at the cam gear drive, this basic knowledge comes with experience I share here

I have already given him my input on what the problem could be (boost leak and n75 were my ideas) and I told him to ask here for advice from more technically knowledgable people who are also used to looking at me7 logs. I guess I should have also expected useless arrogant replies like your own and should have warned him about that. What makes me sick is the way you talk to innocent people looking for help on forums.

I understand 100% he shouldn't be pushing his car at this point and rather taking a step back and fixing his hardware issue, but that is the point of the post, he's not asking for a magic tune that will make his issue go away, but stating what his symptom is (boost loss) and asking for ideas before randomly replacing parts that could potentially be at cause. Someone who has seen this type of behavior on a log before could definitely say "I've seen this exact behavior before in a log and the cause was a defective X". If you don't know, why pop in and bring your smugness with you?

And thanks for a nice click of negative karma out of spite for just telling you how it is, I guess there's a first for everything, you can only take so much of people acting better than everyone else.
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2024, 11:56:50 AM »

I dont care about your expectations same as the karma

Was able to check logs - no ldtvm (n75 duty cycle) included
IAT up to 80c, id say thanks god there is no boost in this conditions
Spen Holder

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2024, 02:45:19 PM »

I have already given him my input on what the problem could be (boost leak and n75 were my ideas) and I told him to ask here for advice from more technically knowledgable people who are also used to looking at me7 logs. I guess I should have also expected useless arrogant replies like your own and should have warned him about that. What makes me sick is the way you talk to innocent people looking for help on forums.

I understand 100% he shouldn't be pushing his car at this point and rather taking a step back and fixing his hardware issue, but that is the point of the post, he's not asking for a magic tune that will make his issue go away, but stating what his symptom is (boost loss) and asking for ideas before randomly replacing parts that could potentially be at cause. Someone who has seen this type of behavior on a log before could definitely say "I've seen this exact behavior before in a log and the cause was a defective X". If you don't know, why pop in and bring your smugness with you?

And thanks for a nice click of negative karma out of spite for just telling you how it is, I guess there's a first for everything, you can only take so much of people acting better than everyone else.

Full of yourself much?
volts

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2024, 02:48:30 PM »

Full of yourself much?

Yeah, obviously I'm the one full of myself and not the people saying new members are worthless.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2024, 11:01:19 PM »

well you didnt include wgdc.

But it doesn't matter, your boost isn't that far off requested.

You just aren't requesting that much boost. No clue what that tune is supposed to be doing.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: