Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First time tuning  (Read 7077 times)
Chris@PES

« on: July 24, 2012, 02:42:58 PM »

Hey guys,

I have been reading the Wiki (over and over) and I have been scouring these forums and I believe I have some understanding about what goes into tuning, however I have some questions.  By the way, I have been able to successfully read and write to my ECU using NefMoto and I have gotten Tuner Pro and the Checksum plug in for it.  I also have data logging with ECU-x.

The first thing that I need help with is understanding how to figure out what values you want in the tables.  Is there a formula to determine the values?  A LOT of them are in decimal places and I just can't figure out how much I should be increasing or decreasing different numbers in these tables.  Max Specified Load for example(LDRXN_1_A).  Stock ranges from 109.99 to 117.00.  How do I figure out how much to increase those numbers, to 2 tenths decimal place?

I'm trying to either use a tuned base file from here or start with a stock file, and this is the biggest hurdle I have come to so far.  I'm trying to tune my ECU for Stage 2+ at 5000+ feet and running 91 Octane.  I think I have figured out what tables need to be modified, but I have no idea how to go about deciding what numbers to modify them with.  The timing tables look VERY complicated to me as well. 

Thanks guys! 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:59:00 PM by Chris@PES » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »

Don't worry about the tenths Smiley

Make a ballpark guess, and log, log, log

Preferably on a dyno Smiley

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Chris@PES

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:43:43 AM »

Thanks for the reply!  I thought about doing that, but didn't know if that was really the correct way.  I guess I could use percentages too. 
tnel20

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:07:45 PM »

First what are you trying to tune?

if its an s4 there are plenty of files here to compare and see whats changed and how much. that should give you a good ballpark to what you should be looking at.
tnel20

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »

i kinda in the same boat as you as not really knowing what to change . nefmoto wont work on my ecu and jason jsut fixed my ecu so all i have is bench flashing at the moment. but once i get my ecu issue solved i'll get right back into things
Chris@PES

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »

Sorry, I left out what kinda car!  2001.5 S4 Smiley  I have done some comparisons, and that's why I have figured out what tables I should be changing (in addition to the WIKI).  However like I said, I was confused as to where the people who made these tunes got their numbers from. 
marcello7x

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »

everyone gave me the same advice when is started too, and kind of went on reading thinking there must be an easier way, but its really alot of guess and check until you understand how a certain map works.

Having me7logger and nef working is a great start, im sadly still logging with vagcom[which really doesn't log enough data points and parameters at once to get a good understanding of what needs changing] and bench flashing. So im really far behind because of it. I simply need a new laptop and i should be good to go, but untill now i have to do things the hard way.

also there is an excel file that calculates some parameters for you, its in one of the stickies. Its a great help!
AudiHolicS4

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »

If you could find this stickie could you post it for us? would be very thankful!^^^
as posted above im in the same boat have just been reading and testing but my car has been down for months doing trans rebuild and upgrades so im ready to try and jump back into it
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »

Not a fan of anything that autogenerates values.

The only tools that are available for that sort of thing that are useful (IOP calculators) should ONLY be used by people who know what they are doing.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: