Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hybrid S3 1.8t boost issues  (Read 17198 times)
littco

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 01:28:30 AM »

It's a 2283 compressor with rs6 turbine ( larger exducer than the k04) I have also the relentless xs power manifold and blue flame 3" Dp, cat and exhaust. It's on a small port head with an fmic .

ibizacupra

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 05:20:50 AM »

It's a 2283 compressor with rs6 turbine ( larger exducer than the k04) I have also the relentless xs power manifold and blue flame 3" Dp, cat and exhaust. It's on a small port head with an fmic .

you been on a dyno yet?
Vdub-dub

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 05:58:26 AM »

littco what is the end result just added extra pressure (spring) to the waste gate and adjust n75 map for surge ?? as im in the same boat as you atm will be adding relentless mani very soon which will only add the waste gate issue
littco

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 06:53:08 AM »

Hi, no not been on the dyno yet. A local lad to me ended up buying the car , he's doing some work on the body work and then he says he get it down to the dyno near me, I've offered to pay for the dyno time, book it in etc but he doesnt seem that bothered, he was just happy it was faster than his Leon cupra R!

In the mean time though I've just bought a TT which is going to have the same treatment although a different spec turbo. And that will Definately get dyno'd.

I should have got it dyno'd really before I sold it, but there's only 1 place locally I can use without a 150mile round trip. I'm seeing the guy who bought it on Sunday so in going to try and twist his arm to get it dyno.

End result of the spring was that it held 23psi to the line, so I ended up buying a 10psi t3 actuator and fitted it to a stock actuator bracket. Very simple mod to do and had the same effect of keeping the wastegate closed at high rpm. Since then all the other hybrids I've done I've fitted the same actuator as standard. You do need, as pointed out before , an MBC to cap the boost. Running 18psi below 4750 to prevent surge is fine on the n75 but when you try to run more boost the pid controller just can't cope if you go from full throttle, off then on again, it spikes really badly, by the time the n75 goes ohhhh "I need to open the wastegate as boost is rising to much" it's over shot the requested and will under some conditions induce surge only way to prevent this is with a MBC or I guess hours and hours of PID tuning,
ibizacupra

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »

Hi, no not been on the dyno yet. A local lad to me ended up buying the car , he's doing some work on the body work and then he says he get it down to the dyno near me, I've offered to pay for the dyno time, book it in etc but he doesnt seem that bothered, he was just happy it was faster than his Leon cupra R!

In the mean time though I've just bought a TT which is going to have the same treatment although a different spec turbo. And that will Definately get dyno'd.

I should have got it dyno'd really before I sold it, but there's only 1 place locally I can use without a 150mile round trip. I'm seeing the guy who bought it on Sunday so in going to try and twist his arm to get it dyno.

End result of the spring was that it held 23psi to the line, so I ended up buying a 10psi t3 actuator and fitted it to a stock actuator bracket. Very simple mod to do and had the same effect of keeping the wastegate closed at high rpm. Since then all the other hybrids I've done I've fitted the same actuator as standard. You do need, as pointed out before , an MBC to cap the boost. Running 18psi below 4750 to prevent surge is fine on the n75 but when you try to run more boost the pid controller just can't cope if you go from full throttle, off then on again, it spikes really badly, by the time the n75 goes ohhhh "I need to open the wastegate as boost is rising to much" it's over shot the requested and will under some conditions induce surge only way to prevent this is with a MBC or I guess hours and hours of PID tuning,

where abouts in the country are you based dan?
no where nr glos?
N75 driven by fixed duty cycle will work... used this a few times once I got the hang of what the hell seemed to be going on.. and some tips off niki to set me in right direction.
9-12psi actuator is what I ended up with from the Cr spec'd units.. kept it closed as a compromise of backpressure vs control..  Now I can do fixed duty cycle control a very strong actuator or possibly running one in dual port would achieve the same "keep it closed" desire
littco

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 04:13:48 AM »

Thanks Bill, unfortunately I'm down south in Surrey so a fair trek over to you, but I'm working on a TT now with a newer hybrid version and will Definately take a trip up to for RR when I can as I'm hoping this hybrid will be better than the previous versions. I think with the help of Barks we've got a pretty good n75 map now but I'll have to see if it copes next time round.
ibizacupra

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:02 AM »

Thanks Bill, unfortunately I'm down south in Surrey so a fair trek over to you, but I'm working on a TT now with a newer hybrid version and will Definately take a trip up to for RR when I can as I'm hoping this hybrid will be better than the previous versions. I think with the help of Barks we've got a pretty good n75 map now but I'll have to see if it copes next time round.
no worries.. just let me know and we can sort that.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: