Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First Tune, First Post  (Read 3216 times)
USFDub

« on: August 02, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »

Well, I loaded my first tune today, so I thought I would also make my first post.  First, I want to thank everyone on this forum and in the VAG tuning community.  I am finishing my Bachelors for mechanical engineering right now and have been a member of my school's Student Formula SAE team so I have a pretty good understanding of the mechanics of an engine.  However, mechanical engineering students are taught very little (at least at my school) about computer systems, sad considering everything today is computer controlled, I feel so behind the times.  So, although I can tune an engine theoretically, or with a standalone ECU that has an operator's manual/tech support, I never could have done what so many on this forum have done.  Thanks to the information on this forum, I've learned a lot about tuning OEM ECU's and intend to learn much more.

Car Info:
2003 North American Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 1.8t (AWP?)
ECU info included as screenshot

On to my tune.  So far I'm taking things really slow, using the LDRXN map, I increased specified load to a peak of 151 then tapered it back down to stock towards redline.  Then using the MTX-Electronics plugin for TunerPro, calculated the checksums and double checked them with ME7Check, then loaded the bin using NefMoto with SlowInit with the key turned all the way on but not started.  BTW, I'm being really detailed with how I did everything because I'm hoping to get feedback and you never know what minor things could make a big difference.  For example, I still can't figure out the difference between SlowInit and FastInit.  After loading the bin, I did basically a systems check to make sure there were no unexpected consequences (AC, windows, gauges, lights, cruise control, etc) and had no apparent problems.

Then, I started up ME7Logger through the GUI, my log file is based on the suggested logs from the APR website.  I drove the car around for a while making sure everything was still working and getting it up to temp, then did a few logging pulls.  One in second gear and then a few in third gear.  The car was noticeably quicker, nothing crazy, but noticeable.  I think it was mostly because of the dip in boost that I took out of LDRXN.

Now, on to a few questions:

- I know that rule of thumb is abs pres=(10*spec. load)+300, but from what I could tell on mine it's more like abs pres=(10*spec. load)+400, but using this formula means my boost should have been about 13psi, but I'm getting a peak boost of 14.5psi (2000 mbar).  I live in SW Florida, so I'm wondering if this is due to the map that increases boost with temp, but I can't find that map on the definitions file I have so that I can check it.

- I'm a little confused by the CF values for ignition timing, I'd appreciate if someone could review my logs and help me out.  I'm seeing non zero numbers before boost, but all zeros in boost.  In other words, what do the numbers mean, is a negative number indicative of timing being pulled?  If so, why is it pulling timing under low load conditions?

- Where should I go from here?  As of right now, my car is bone stock mechanically, but I want to learn and experiment as much as possible with tuning without spending too much money (at least for now).

The stock tune, modified tune, logs, and XDF definition file are all attached.  The logs attached are the raw log data (I just kept recording while I did multiple pulls), then I went through and tried to separate each pull.  I forgot to log selected gear, but pull 1 was second and all others were third.  Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right and that I fully understand what I'm doing.  And thanks if you made it this far.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: