Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Bricked ECU" HAAALP Please!  (Read 13559 times)
GTI28RS

« on: December 27, 2010, 09:43:05 PM »

First, awesome forum... I can't believe this is here. THANKS!

Now... I have a GTI 04 and I'm running Eurodyne Software and I use Maestro 7 to tune but.... I was flashing my ECU and the Flash Client totally crashed on me and stopped the flash, now the car wont start and I can't flash it anymore, I need the car so bad to go to work and school, plus I miss my car Sad

After reading a bit I learned that I can buy a 1k ohm resistor and ground pin 24.... but I kinda need someone to take 5 minutes and explain this to me like I'm a 6 years old. I buy a 1k ohm resistor at radio shack, open my ECU, solder one side of my resistor to pin 24... how do I actually ground it? then turn ignition on for 5 seconds and then I'll be ready to flash my car again? but.... It can't be flashed with the 630 base file made by Eurodyne, it has to be the original map that the ECU had?

My ECU is currently not taking any flashes, every time it says time out then license not valid for this vehicle and that's it, Chris from Eurodyne asked me to read my ECU and send him the infofile.mstro I know he is willing to help me but I would like to know if I can speed things up thanks for any information guys.
Rsibiza

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 05:19:32 AM »

Hi M8.

I dont think you gonna get any data from or to your ecu,even with boot mode,boot mode is only to write ME7 ecu at Table( if i am wrong please correct me)

Your flash 29Fxx is empty,and EDC15 (diesel) or ME7xx have no recovery function as MED9xx or EDC16/17

The flash wont be recognised anymore.

You need or an paralel programmer (Labtool-48XP,BeeProg..etc) or the same flash as yours from another ecu but need to bee same..you have 29F400BB,need 29F400BB...have 29F800BT..ned 29F800BT..etc..which u can usolder from another ecu,but need to have data on it,..

DONT USE AN EMPTY ONE!

Put this "used-already written,undepending from which car and what maps...in your ECU,connect your serial flasher and flash again with no problems...

As the flash is not empty,the serial flash tool will now recognise your ecu,it may recongnise an wrong one,depending on sw on flash,but just choose YOUR BRAND and MODEL,identify,select your .mod or .ori file you wanna write to ECU and write it.

If you have again troubles,check your K-Line if stuck,or shortcut etc...
Why did your flash client crash...

I NEVER install any Antivirus or spyware on my workstation (used for flashing)
I never connect that workstation to internet(just official updates)
I try and check always new soft on other pc,with NOD32 to protect me against viruses,before installing something on my WORKSTATION

Best regards.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:00:22 AM by Rsibiza » Logged
Dobermann

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:48:54 AM »

you can only wake up your ecu in boot mode !!!

my optican repaired many of this ecus !!!

if the file is write back with boot mode you can read and write again by obd

ArgDub

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:41:33 AM »

Rsibiza, bootmode function is embedded in microprocessor, it is not releted with the contents of flash memory. It is always posible to flash in bootmode

GTI28RS, you need galletto tool or 29Fxx programmer to recover your flash.
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:07:07 AM »

As mentioned, you need a galletto tool (ebay), and then need to short the boot pin, and use the galletto software to flash your file.  You may also need to pull your aux fan fuse and instrument cluster fuse.  It will write the entire flash, not just tables.

Also, make sure you do this with a battery charger connected and that you're seeing at least 13 volts at the battery terminal.

Something I have noticed recently is that parts stores like Checkers/Autozone are incorrectly selling conventional batteries for these cars, while most of these cars require deep cycle batteries.  I contacted Autozone about this and they were extremely unreceptive and basically told me to go piss up a rope.

These batteries not only have a short service life because they are used in the wrong application and drained below the acceptable threshold, but they also don't provide enough voltage to flash on the battery alone, in most cases.  A friend of mine sells name brand tunes, and he has had flash issues with nearly every car that had a cheap parts store conventional battery which then led to a bricked ECU and required a bench flash in boot mode.

Something to consider anyway, in case this may be the reason you bricked the ECU Smiley
Rsibiza

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »

Thx for this info,was thinking they arent bootable.

For galetto...i have postet cheap solution working better than china clones,just replacing some parts,using cheap KKL interface(blue one)
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 07:50:12 PM »

Basically you will either need to use the NefMoto flashing software, or put the ECU into Boot Mode and use a Galletto or KWP2000Plus tool that you can find on eBay.

If you can use VAG-COM to connect to the ECU and get any response, then the NefMoto ECU flasher will be able to flash it. You just need an eBay USB KKL VAG cable and the NefMoto software. Also, on a side note, the NefMoto flashing software is specifically written to never be able to brick the ECU since it only erases one memory sector at a time, and never the whole flash chip.

If you can't connect with VAG-COM or the NefMoto flashing software, then you will have to use Boot Mode. I would recommend buying a Galletto tool off eBay. Getting into boot mode will require you to open up your ECU and ground a pin on the circuit board while you try to connect with Galletto.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: