Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Failed checksum?  (Read 35808 times)
Rick

« on: October 31, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »

So with Tony's excellent flasher I have flashed an M box bin onto an H box ECU and am using it in a C box car.  I have modified it to use the Bosch MAF and 630cc injectors.  It was running really well, and gradually i've been upping the boost.  Last thing i did was alter the ignition map.  

When i loaded it into WinOLS, after editing in tunerpro, this time it didn't say any checksums need correcting.  Strange i thought.  Flashed the ECU and car drove perfectly.  But then I came to a stop, and tried restarting engine - nothing.  VCDS reports error code, checksum failed...

Error is P0601- Internal Control Module - Memory Checksum error.

What am I doing wrong?  WinOLS says all checksums ok.  Is there anyway I can force it to recheck?  I tried reflashing the file and clearing the fault code but it still comes back.

Rick
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:39:22 AM by Rick » Logged
Rick

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:31:54 AM »

I've just tried to flash a previous tune which seemed to be working fine, and it is still throwing up a checksum failed code which won't clear, car won't start.  Does something need to be done once the ECU has  thrown this code to reset it?

I have attached the bin which caused the issue, can someone check it?

Rick
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:52:30 AM »

Do you have a copy of the bin before you made changes with tunerpro?
Rick

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »

Jason,

yes it's a std Mbox file being used as the original, i've attached it.

I flashed this original file back, then cleared the DTC's with the Nefmoto flasher.  That started the car.  So put the other file back, and now i can't get it to generate a checksum failure.  Before connecting it to the car, i have power cycled several times as I know some checksums aren't checked everytime.

However, i have only started and warmed up the car, not driven it/taken it on boost.  I wonder if some checksums are only checked when they are being used - ie high load areas of the table.

Rick
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 09:51:24 AM »

File looks ok...

Just thinking out loud here - but the checksums are there for data integrity obviously - is there a chance you had a bad or incomplete flash?

Rick

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 11:09:20 AM »

Only thing I can think of.

Car drove perfectly though, engine off, 10 mins later no start...

I've modded the tune further, taken her on boost and so far all seems good.

Strange.

Rick
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »

When the "Internal Control Module - Memory Checksum error" fault code shows up, the only way to clear it is after reflashing the ECU. If you don't reflash the ECU you can't clear that error code. This code was really fun to deal with before I knew the VAG flashing protocol, since it meant I had to desolder the serial EEPROM to reprogram it to erase the fault code.

The checksum that covers the map data section of the flash is only checked every few times you start the car. So you can end up tuning your car, going for a dew drives, and then your car won't start anymore.

When tuning my car, I always carry a spare backup ECU with me. That way in case something goes horribly wrong, I can always swap in the backup. I have never needed it, but I'm glad I have it with me when tuning my car.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
Drehkraft

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »

This reminds me of the days when APR used to supply dealers with a special file "checksum clear" to kill that error.  Subsequent re-flash with correct software was required! 

Rick

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 01:34:49 PM »

Tony,

I'm getting this error again after I flashed a bad file.  I can connect to the ECU and have flashed a good file but still can't clear the code with your software.  Don't know how I did it last time this happened - ECU was on the bench, now it's in car.  Any particular order/procedure?

Rick
Rick

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »

No worries  I sorted it.

For reference, I connected to ECU, cleared codes then immediately flashed.  Once finished, cycled ignition and then cleared codes again.  All good now.

RIck
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »

Wait, im confused Smiley

To summarize, if you have a bad image AND a bad checksum (but you can VAG it)

you can

1) connect via VAG
2) clear the checksum dtc
3) immediately reflash with good image (via bootmode, or Tony's flasher?)

I assume if you go directly from 2) to bootmode, the ecu never has a chance to reset the Checksum dtc?

and if you use tony's flasher, he takes care of whatever "bad thing" happened when you booted *to the REAL "bad" code* between 2) and 3)

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 02:43:48 PM »

Flashing (with the protocol NefMoto uses) over obd clears the checksum error  in the e^2. Boot mode won't clear the the flag.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »

Flashing (with the protocol NefMoto uses) over obd clears the checksum error  in the e^2. Boot mode won't clear the the flag.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Not at all obvious, thank you! I'm a bit late to the party. I had read before this DTC was not clearable by VCDS, but that last post confused the hell out of me and made me think that it was.

So one last time: that checksum error CANNOT be cleared by VCDS, nor booting a "good" image x times, ONLY via the NM flasher?

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered, but the whole topic has me hopelessly confused ..

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »

I'm sure Tony will correct if needed...

It's not just NefMoto, but the protocol itself. The act of a successful flash using it clears the error flag. I know this from threads here.  Pretty fundamental to know if you're doing OBD tuning I'd say!
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »

File looks ok...

Just thinking out loud here - but the checksums are there for data integrity obviously - is there a chance you had a bad or incomplete flash?

This right here...

A few days ago I had the exact same issue... I download the NefMoto Stg 3 tune, and opened it in WinOLS, the checksum modules wouldn't recognize the changes/file and wouldn't report that they needed correction.

I tried different M box tunes after and found they worked, so I re-downloaded the file and it worked after that... So even though the file "looked" good, it wasn't.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: