Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: failed to read test echo from FTDI device ?  (Read 49533 times)
bigazz

« on: September 29, 2012, 02:16:52 AM »

Hi Guys,

I have a VCDS cable it says it supports premium features etc, but when I try to connect I just get "failed to read test echo from FTDI device". Do I need to buy another cable?  The one I have is black and printed VAG106 in gold
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »

You need to go into VCDS and turn off "boot in intelligent mode"

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
bigazz

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:13:28 PM »

HI tony thanks for the reply , unfortunately I did do that and it didn't seem to help Sad
slowguy

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »

Hi Guys,

I have a VCDS cable it says it supports premium features etc, but when I try to connect I just get "failed to read test echo from FTDI device". Do I need to buy another cable?  The one I have is black and printed VAG106 in gold
same for me just today.

I didn't realize my ross tech cable was is the mail box. I plugged it all in and got vcds up and running. It can read all my modules in my car. I tried the nefmoto software and although it knows I have the ross-tech cable because it auto populates that field in the software, it will not connect to the ecu. I've turned off "boot in intelligent mode" in vcds, saved and closed it, then open nefmoto software and still it does not connect.

Out of curiousity I pushed the slow init connect and the fast init connect with no change. It says in the status window that it doesn't recieve an echo reply from the FTDI or something. Right now all I wish to do it read the ecu. If I can successfully read it then I will try to save that and then write the 551r file.
slowguy

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »

Update: First try was on a Windows XP pro 32bit laptop. Got another laptop with win 7 64 bit, fresh download of nefmoto, fresh install of the VCDS software. Same results. No connection to the FTDI device, but the cable is recognized and usable by the computer and the VCDS software.
slowguy

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »

AARDQ has been an amazing help to me. He has provided this information that I think, when I have time to try it out, will resolve the problem. Just thought I would share his info to help you as well. The link to the pertinent info is here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/virtual-com-port.html
bigazz

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »

I tried that with no luck Sad  Was excited too as it seem to be the answer. I ordered a BLUE 409 cable from ebay I hope that works
AARDQ

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »

I tried that with no luck Sad  Was excited too as it seem to be the answer. I ordered a BLUE 409 cable from ebay I hope that works

Took a few tries myself to get it to work, now it's 100%.  Make sure VSP is set to load (check the check box; default is not checked).  Double check in Device Manager that "USB Serial Port" shows up in Ports, and that there is no conflict.  Other FTDI drivers/devices on your computer can also conflict.  I ended up blowing out Galetto and "blue" cable drivers altogether.  VCDS must be set to "not boot in intelligent mode", and then VCDS must be closed.  (VCDS will still work fine booting in dumb mode.)

Use Slow Init.

Hope this helps.
slowguy

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »

Ok, so far I downloaded and installed the VCP drivers. Tried at least 4 times on win xp computer, wouldn't take. Then I tried it on the win 7 pc and it installed. I checked the "load VCP driver" after installation. Also checked to make sure "not intelligent mode" was unchecked in VCDS. Never could find USB serial port in device manager to change latency to 2ms. Tried to connect multiple times using slow init and tried all the different baud rates. Same result, no echo FTDI. Here is the log readout:

01/Oct/2012 08:42:44.309: LOG: Setting Address: 0x01 KeyByte1: 0x6B KeyByte2: 0x0F
01/Oct/2012 08:42:44.356: LOG: Opened FTDI device.
01/Oct/2012 08:42:44.356: LOG: FTDI device info - Description: Ross-Tech HEX-USB Serial Number: RT000001 Device Type: FT_DEVICE_232R ID: 0x403FA30 Device Flags: 0x0
01/Oct/2012 08:42:44.357: LOG: FTDI ChipID DLL is loaded, checking chip ID...
01/Oct/2012 08:42:44.360: LOG: FTDI device chip ID: 0x1C9CB3D9
01/Oct/2012 08:42:45.393: USER: Failed to read test echo from FTDI device.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »

Sometimes you have to click then unclick boot in intelligent mode to get that to stick in the VCDS cable... not sure if it is a known bug but i've seen it happen several times.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
bigazz

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 12:42:40 AM »

Took a few tries myself to get it to work, now it's 100%.  Make sure VSP is set to load (check the check box; default is not checked).  Double check in Device Manager that "USB Serial Port" shows up in Ports, and that there is no conflict.  Other FTDI drivers/devices on your computer can also conflict.  I ended up blowing out Galetto and "blue" cable drivers altogether.  VCDS must be set to "not boot in intelligent mode", and then VCDS must be closed.  (VCDS will still work fine booting in dumb mode.)

Use Slow Init.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply mate , I had tried all that still no dice
AARDQ

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:43:18 AM »

Never could find USB serial port in device manager to change latency to 2ms.

Must be set up as an admin to begin with, I'm on an XP machine at the moment but something along the lines of don't click on the Port settings tab at the top, but rather Advanced button (or Properties?) at the bottom and then Port (maybe Properties and then Advanced, i.e. a second layer).  Something like that, anyway.  Port Baud should be 9600 BPS; I think I remember someone saying that they found it set way higher initially and that was the issue.
slowguy

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »

Tried everything as noted, nothing worked. Got it recognized, made the adjustments to vcds, usb serial port settings, tried all different connection speeds in nefmoto and slow init and fast init. nothing works. getting my blue cable tomorrow. hopefully that will work. keeping my fingers crossed.
cerips

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »

Any updates on this as I'm having the same problems  Sad
slowguy

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »

Any updates on this as I'm having the same problems  Sad

I made "some" progress if you can call it that. I never was able to get the ross tech cable to talk whatsoever. I tried everything I could think of. I did get the blue cable to recognize and communicate but when I did a read or write function I was stopped at about 14% and disconnected from the ecu. Any attempt to reconnect and pick up where it left off didn't work. So ultimately I think I need to try a flash with the galletto cable that just arrived. The next dilemma is how to actually get this finicky 551 AA ecu to enter into boot mode. I've done more reading and I think, with the help of the replies I've received, I'm about read to attempt to boot mode it. Or...I may just send it to another, more experienced, nefmoto member and let them try first.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: