Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: failed to read test echo from FTDI device ?  (Read 49525 times)
cyril279

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 05:25:12 AM »

@papasound

I see by your screenshot that you unchecked the "boot in intelligent mode" box, but I'm fairly certain that you need to CHECK both of the KWP protocol boxes in vcds, test, save, then close.

It works for me (genuine kII-USB), hope it works for you.
-Cyril
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:29:48 AM by cyril279 » Logged
AARDQ

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 07:28:26 AM »

@papasound

I see by your screenshot that you unchecked the "boot in intelligent mode" box, but I'm fairly certain that you need to CHECK both of the KWP protocol boxes in vcds, test, save, then close.

It works for me (genuine kII-USB), hope it works for you.
-Cyril

No, definitely needs to be in dumb (non-intelligent) mode.
cyril279

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »

...definitely needs to be in dumb (non-intelligent) mode.
^^i agree, and unchecking the "boot in intelligent mode" box accomplishes that.

nefmoto uses kwp protocols to communicate with the ECU, so at least one of them needs to be checked within the VCDS option box before the cable will allow the KWP communication. Please reference the edited screenshot below for graphic detail.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:30:18 AM by cyril279 » Logged
prj

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »

nefmoto uses kwp protocols to communicate with the ECU, so at least one of them needs to be checked within the VCDS option box before the cable will allow the KWP communication. Please reference the edited screenshot below for graphic detail.
Pretty sure this is not how it works... all those options do is change how the VCDS application handles the com port, they do not have any effect on the cable whatsoever.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
cyril279

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »

I cannot vouch for whether or how those settings affect the cable, but my experience has been that they do affect whether other programs see the cable. I'll take screen shots of a nefmoto attempt using all three scenarios during my lunch hour.

1)all deselected
2)intelligent de-selected, and kwp protocols selected
3)all selected

(soon...)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:14:45 AM by cyril279 » Logged
prj

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »

I don't need screenshots when I know exactly what the code does Wink
Actually Ross-Tech's manual also says what it does.

You need to:
1) Open VCDS, uncheck "Boot in intelligent mode".
2) Click "Test".

After that with it still open you can use any other application in pass through if you have the VCP drivers.
You are not "checking protocols" or "enabling" anything, you are just changing how often VCDS polls the port when it is communicating, but it never does!

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
cyril279

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »

I've read quite a few of your posts, and I believe that you know exactly what the code does.

From a practical standpoint, with the check-box scenario that I have described, I have connection success with everything but vag-tacho (which needs a specific EPT that I'm not willing to flash to my vcds cable), and all of it without leaving vcds open in the background.

EDIT: I tried it, and I DO connect to the ecu whether kwp boxes are checked or unchecked, so those kwp boxes are indeed not the cause of the connection issues, as PRJ stated.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:53:18 AM by cyril279 » Logged
blackrabbit

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »

^^i agree, and unchecking the "boot in intelligent mode" box accomplishes that.

Thank you ! That worked for me !
tegman88

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people in this thread. I only just came across NefMoto a few weeks ago but haven't yet been able to connect to my ecu at all. I have a 2000 S4, 6 speed.

First, I tried the Ross-Tech cable but I had no luck and decided just to get a cable off of ebay. It is an F232, I have the drivers installed and NefMoto recognizes the cable, but when I try to connect I just get the failed to read test echo message and failed to open ftdi device. These two messages will just alternate as I try various things.

I've tried every USB port and different baud rates and fast and slow init. Also, as recommended earlier in this thread, in the device's port settings I set latency to 2ms and the baud rate to 9600. Although, someone else said 52800 preferred when flashing...
I also made sure the COM port was between 1 and 4 (it's COM2), I think I remember reading somewhere that that's important.

All of this is a little over my head. I don't actually know things like latency and baud are lol  Embarrassed

It was also mentioned to try disconnecting the cluster when connecting via the car's OBD port. What does this accomplish? I'll try tomorrow but I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm pretty much out of ideas. I wish I had a different laptop to try, but I don't. That's pretty much where I'm at now. I can't think of anything to try except a different computer.
tegman88

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »

Just an update in case it might help somebody else:

I haven't tried flashing yet but I have finally gotten the software to communicate with my ecm. I'm not sure what the issue was but I finally just uninstalled everything and started fresh. I had a cable with a CH340 chip, my Ross-Tech Hex CAN USB, and my new FT232R, so I uninstalled all their drivers, uninstalled NefMoto, reinstalled NefMoto and the drivers posted with the software, restarted and everything seems to work now  Smiley
rnagy86

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »

My FTDI OBDII cable took a shit today, just out of the blue it does not work anymore. It gets attached as a correct FTDI device, I can read everything with FT Prog just fine, but still it fails to read a test echo from it and VCDS stopped to be able to use it as well. Inspected the chipset on the board everything seems just fine. Anyone had this before?  Huh
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:48:40 AM by rnagy86 » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »

My FTDI OBDII cable took a shit today, just out of the blue it does not work anymore. It gets attached as a correct FTDI device, I can read everything with FT Prog just fine, but still it fails to read a test echo from it and VCDS stopped to be able to use it as well. Inspected the chipset on the board everything seems just fine. Anyone had this before?  Huh

They do fail occasionally.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
rnagy86

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »

They do fail occasionally.
Not to mention that I blew $20 today because I needed a cable really fast and bought one locally which was a completely useless FTDI one, it was able to connect to the ECU but then both VCDS and NefMoto hangs. Stupid Chinese shit.
brokenvespa

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »

I use a real Vag-com cable but I was having trouble at first. I had to select a different memory layout before everything worked. Im still pretty much clueless about all this but I was able to pull a bin file and load it into tunerpro. Just my 2 cents. Sorry if this is useless info.
ittnah

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2013, 02:11:50 AM »

there is also in nefmoto kwp2000 settings "should verify cable in dump mode" when i turn it off my hex+can rosstech cable start to work. i'm confused...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: