Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can't communicate no matter what  (Read 11757 times)
slowguy

« on: October 03, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

Ok, so I've tried all the recommended procedures with settings and such for the vcds cable. No luck. So today I received the blue cable, and all the drivers installed as expected. In the device manager I have USB Virtualization Connector Driver under the USB Virtualization heading and I have USB Serial Port. Now Nefmoto will not detect the blue cable at all. It will only detect the VCDS cable and it refuses to talk with it. I don't know what I have doing wrong but this is very frustrating. Any ideas?
slowguy

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »

Ok, I deleted EVERYTHING, all drivers and previous programs and got it going. It knows the ecu is there. I have a 551 AA ecu, I tried writing both the original 551 AA and the 551 R I found here on the site. I figured out that I needed to use one of the memory layout .xml files located in the nefmoto folder. Not really sure which one to use. Just chose one that would seem to allow the flash process to start. I tried multiple times and the process starts for what seems to be a LONG time and freezes and kicks me out at about 13-14%. It says I need to reconnect and restart flashing. Tried that but it doesn't work. Anyone can tell me what I may be doing wrong?
AARDQ

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »

Use 29F800; should work fine.  I used "allroad 2.7T BEL 250HP 4Z7907551R with euro sai.bin"

I had the same problem you describe.  Can't remember why, but wanted to use the blue cable rather than Hex Can.  (Probably something to do with trying boot mode.)  To get Hex Can to work again ended up deleting all flashing drivers and programs (with reboot) and reloading VCDS and drivers (and not the blue cable).  They do not seem to like to live on the same system at the same time.  I have not used the blue cable since so can't say how to make them live together...
slowguy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »

Unfortunately I'm so frustrated, I'm about ready to give up. I haven't even been able to do a full stock flash and I'm packing it up.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both cables multiple times. I've tried the VCP drivers from ross tech with all the suggested settings. No matter what I do, nefmoto does not want to talk to the ross tech cable.

I reinstalled the drivers for the FTDI cable and it's recognized by nefmoto. I do slow init connect and I select the 57600 baud speed but after it connects, at the bottom it says it's talking at the higher speed. I downloaded the SAI delete 551R bin with the layout you told me, even though I don't have sai delete, just to see if it will do a full write, but I don't think it will. It's working right now.

It seems like a communication issue but is it possible it could be the ecu stopping the session at 14%? It does have the P0601 code and it was touched by APR, although they said it was programmed back to my stock file. Just really frustrated and disappointed right now.
AARDQ

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »

Could be the APR previous tune.  Others may know.

That's my bet, anyway.  Sorry can't help more.
prj

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 02:44:50 AM »

Desolder the chip, flash it in programmer, re-solder.
Or Galletto in boot mode on bench.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
slowguy

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 04:18:48 AM »

I have to learn exactly what to do, but I think my next step should be bootmode on the bench. BTW, I had the same exact results with both APR "touched" ecu's. I do have a good ecu with no codes and it will start my car (just won't run because of immo right now), but I am WAY too scared to mess with that one at all. At the moment, that ecu is probably the only way I am going to be able to drive my car anywhere in the near future.

Galleto is on the way but I guess now I will need to buy more parts, i.e., power supply, test clips, etc. AARDQ - you've more help than I could hope for. I would not have even ventured this far without your input. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:27:03 AM by slowguy » Logged
AARDQ

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 07:57:20 AM »

I have to learn exactly what to do, but I think my next step should be bootmode on the bench. BTW, I had the same exact results with both APR "touched" ecu's. I do have a good ecu with no codes and it will start my car (just won't run because of immo right now), but I am WAY too scared to mess with that one at all. At the moment, that ecu is probably the only way I am going to be able to drive my car anywhere in the near future.

Galleto is on the way but I guess now I will need to buy more parts, i.e., power supply, test clips, etc. AARDQ - you've more help than I could hope for. I would not have even ventured this far without your input. Thanks.

Encouragement to jump off a cliff is maybe not such a good thing...

For power supply, a car battery works well if where your car is parked is close enough to your workstation (or don't mind hauling it there).  It really is the perfect source. Then you just need the correct length of wire (heavy enough not so there isn't much voltage drop) and away you go.  For test clips, on the ECU side the wires that come with the Pomona test clip I mentioned previously have connectors that are perfect (if you are thinking of doing Immo Off).  For the cable side, standard female spade connectors work for main power and ground, and salvaged PC power supply connectors (cut apart) are a kludge but work.

I have yet to get the 551S or AA into boot mode, using all of the posted tricks.  I'm hopeful you do, then you can share!
slowguy

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »

Ok. So I was going to try to open the ecu box and do the shorting of the pins to put the ecu into boot mode and then plug it back into the car and use the Galleto cable and software on it that way. You're saying it's not that simple either? The 551 AA won't go into boot mode that way?

It seems that these 551 AA are a nightmare to work with. Maybe that's why the APR tune didn't work either. Is there an ECU that I can plug into my car that is easier to work with? I know you mentioned flashing a 551 R file to the 551 AA box, but is there a completely different box (that is easier to code and work with) that I can plug into my car? I am not against purchasing another used ECU that I can actually play with that won't be such a pain.

If I can throw a 551 R code on my AA box, then couldn't I just purchase a used 551 R box and that would allow me to actaully work with the thing in nefmoto?
AARDQ

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »

Some people have had luck getting the S (should be the same as the AA) into boot mode, but it seems really finicky.  Recent comments suggest that voltage should be "just right", not too high (i.e. battery not on charger, but fully charged with no other loads whatsoever).  I haven't tried since learning this (I've always tried with battery on charger.)  May be why I've not had luck.

If you pick up an R box it will work fine (you will be down 15 hp in power) but you still will have to deal with Immo.  The APB-BEL engine designation break was in 2003 (maybe mid-2002?), so the ECU from an earlier car will not work.  Applying Immo-off to your R box using the EEPROM reader/writer and test clip I supplied the link for earlier may be your quickest route.

You can boot mode with the ECU in-car (over OBD) by opening up the back with the ECU near its usual resting place, or you can boot mode on the bench, but I don;t see how you can boot mode on the bench and then transfer the ECU to the car and complete the process.

slowguy

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »

Desolder the chip, flash it in programmer, re-solder.
Or Galletto in boot mode on bench.

As I am getting prepared for my Galletto cable to arrive, I am reading (multiple times) the wiki to make sure I don't overlook anything. I noticed that Tony says, "It is not recommended to perform normal flashing in boot mode as it does not clear the "Error is P0601- Internal Control Module - Memory Checksum error." DTC. You MUST use flashing software that uses the VAG programming protocol, such as the Nefmoto flashing software, to clear this code. "

If that's the case, (assuming I am able to get into boot mode with this 551AA box) then why would I flash a file in bootmode? I have the P0601 code and this will not resolve that issue according to that statement.
prj

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 01:15:12 PM »

Because you can flash a stock file in boot mode, and then you can use nefmoto to flash over that to clear the code.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
slowguy

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »

here is a pic of the inside of one of my 551AA ecu's. it looks different than the "boot mode wiki pic" here: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php/ECU_Boot_Mode. Can anyone tell me which pins to short?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: