Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: proper noob start up help  (Read 36008 times)
adeyspec

« on: October 19, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »

hi all, thought id introduce myself, Im Adey. I have tinkered with most of my old cars using diy software to hack the ecus, mainly Nissan's and Honda but now i have got my self an s4 2.7. My search has found me here but Im really struggling with the Audi. All the other software has ended up basically giving me a setup similar to aftermarket ecu's that i found easy to use but the nefmoto stuff i cant even get to talk to the car.

Now my question is, is there a walk through guide? From all the reading iv'e done it seems to be people talking about it but they already know what they are doing. I'm willing to put in the time but just need a little heads up to get me going.

My first port of call i guess would be to pull the original the map off the car? or am i going completely wrong? a user guide for the program would be great if there is one?

Please ask away if there is anything i need to answer to help you guide me. The car is an early euro s4 so im assuming it has the A-box ecu? how can i find out what ecu i have and where do i go from there?

Cheers for the help people
prj

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »

Early euro S4 you won't be able to write with the tools on here.
And some you can not even flash in the car without pulling the ECU out onto the bench or running a separate K-Line.

What year is your car?
You can find your ECU number either on the ECU itself or if you connect diagnostics it will be there as well.
You have likely 551E, 551C or 551D.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
adeyspec

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:26:57 AM »

ahh, ok then, is there anywhere else i can look? its a 1998/99 pre facelift s4. i have vagcam, can that show me the ecu? where in there can i look? i can pull the cover off the ecu tomorrow morning if i cant find it on vagcom
adeyspec

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 06:18:35 AM »

thats my ecu, doesnt have a letter at the end though??
prj

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »

Yea you won't read this in the car unless you get an extra K-Line wire from the ECU connector to the OBD connector directly.
The problem is on these early pre-facelift S4's the instrument cluster is very badly behaved and just resets the communication all the time if you try to do anything over KWP2000.

So you can start with doing that I guess...

After that you can use MPPS to read and write your ECU and ME7Logger to log.

Log your car properly.
adeyspec

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »

ok so if i find the correct pin and run it to the obd port i should have some joy? funny you say about the dash, its the only thing i cant adjust using vagcom or vag tacho? can i not swap the ecu for something more adaptable? a later unit?

cheers for all the help guys, keep it up really appreciate it  Grin
prj

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »

There is no point to swap the ECU. The ECU is not the problem here, the dash is.
Your ECU is 512k so you can't use any 1mb images.

You can swap it for a newer 1mb unit if you like, but that is really not needed to tune it and you won't really have any advantages.

Log your car properly.
adeyspec

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »

ok cheers for that, can i swap the dash out, or pull a fuse for it while trying to connect to the ecu? is there a guide or how to with pin outs for the obd or the ecu itself?

once i get that what xdf do i need? all the ones i find are for ecu's with a suffix
adeyspec

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »

have i been reading that wrong, do you mean a second k line as in to bypass everything else? so i doesnt go through the dash and such? sorry for all the questions
prj

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »

Yeah, exactly, that is what you will have to do.
No other way AFAIK.

Log your car properly.
adeyspec

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »

time to raise this again, i now have a mapped c box ecu. id like to start tweaking it myself. is the only way without running more wires to bench flash? its not hard to get out so removing it isnt an issue
prj

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »

Try it, depends how well behaved your cars clocks are.
Some will let you log, some won't.

Log your car properly.
Bi-turbo

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »

Im having connecting issue's with mine C Box, will it connect if i pull the fuse for the clocks??
prj

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »

Im having connecting issue's with mine C Box, will it connect if i pull the fuse for the clocks??

No.

Log your car properly.
adeyspec

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 06:01:43 AM »

right having a little trouble trying to resolve my next issue. poped to the scrappy and got the plugs needed to make a bench harness like the one prj made it works great with vagcom, but nefmoto wont list a lead to work with. ive updated to the latest drivers but it just has an empty box. im still reading while writing this but if someone knows before i can find out please help. im edging closer and closer to getting it all working  Grin
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:21:27 AM by adeyspec » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: