Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Using ME7 as Standalone - Timing Control  (Read 7831 times)
adam-

« on: November 16, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »

Hi, I know this is my first post so it seems like I'm a bit of a noob, but bare with me here.

I've basically fitted an AFH into my 6n2 Polo; which uses the ME7 ECU.  I've binned it off for bike carbs (CBR600's), and using the Mech Advance distributor, but the ECU is sitting doing nothing - other than calculating revs for the dash (using the crank sensor).

I'm curious to go back to using the ECU as the ignition driver - I'm not wanting to use it for injectors, so that's okay. 

I'm wanting to know what the ECU uses to calculate the timing tables.  It's already got RPM, but the timing measuring block is all over the place.  Bare in mine that's the only input.  There's no TB, no throttle position sensor, no MAP.

Just curious what the ECU needs as an input to make it vary timing; or if there's a way to turn it into a standalone system.

I can probably tap into the manifold to get a MAP reference.

Hit me up with some ideas! Smiley
prj

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 02:39:53 AM »

Why would you go completely backwards and set your car 50 years back in time?

You will need the 60-2 wheel and the cam sensor, as well as TPS as bare minimum for limp mode.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
adam-

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »

I've heard that before, it's because I want to learn, I've been tuning carbs since I was young.  And why follow the FI crowd?  Do something different!

It's already for the 60-2 wheel on it, the ECU see's revs.  Is the cam sensor not just for sequential injection though.  Isn't a requirement I didn't think?  Also, the CBR's have a TPS.  Can check the throttle body off the old engine to see the values of resistance to see how close they are to the CBR's.

Otherwise, I can mock it up to fit.  Can make the old driveby wire system work too, I can probably get that linked up to the current cable throttle.

Thanks for the reply though, let's see if I can get somewhere..
matchew

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »

As far as i know the AFH engine uses a 030 906 032E ECU which is not ME7, its not even Bosch.....
adam-

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »

I know it's not.  But the car it went into has the ME7.  The ECU controlled the AUC engine, but I replaced it with the 1.4 unit and put it on bike carbs..

So the ECU is sitting redundant now, but still seems to calculate timing, albiet it's miles away; but still, I want to know how it does this..
matchew

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »

calculated from the floating implausible signals that it has.
adam-

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:16:32 PM »

Okay, so I've taken the throttle body apart and measured all the resistances.

There's 4 tracks.  Constant resistance of 1.19kOhms between lines 6 and 2.

Line 4 at idle - ie 0% TP Position has 330 Ohms, 0 Ohms at WOT.
Line 1 at idle - ie 0% TP Position has 0 Ohms, 330 Ohms at WOT.

Doesn't look too hard to replicate on the CBR Carbs, can make up some resistances and get a linear sweep from a variable resistor.

How does the engine see load though?  Is it TB position - ie airflow, or pedal position, seeing as it's driveby wire.

What happens if it looses the pedal?

Removed the MAP sensor too, it's got two rubber o-rings, so won't be hard to get a seal on some pipe for the tapin's on the runners.

Any help would be nice.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: