Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SortaNoob Help  (Read 6245 times)
staycute
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »

Ok, so I'm completely new to the tuning scene sorta. I understand hex editing and having one correspond with the other. Now my weakness is actually getting the files needed off the ecu/car onto the computer and back one. I under the actually 'tuning' part just not the read and flash part. So what I would like to learn is how to get what I need and then exported back to the ecu. I have read around here and lurked the Internet numerous amounts of times, although I have gained much knowledge, I still have yet to learn the software. So if anyone can teach me, guide me to learn or point me to the right direction I would very much appreciate it. I'd like to keep myself busy for now.

Thank you.
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:58:59 AM »

Assuming you have an me7 ecu:

1. Buy a kkl interface (galletto, older ross tech cable, newer ross tech cable-if you choose this, open vcds, go to options, and un-mark the box that says "boot in intelligent mode"
2. Download nefmoto flasher/logger, install
3. Install cable drivers, and ensure nefmoto detects your cable.
4. Connect, select the appropriate memory layout, and select "Read full flash". When prompted, select the directory and name to save the flash as. (have an external power supply connected to your car, the software likes steady voltage. A trickle charger works well)
5. Open the .bin file (once saved) with tunerpro, or winols. Find a suitable definition file (just what it sounds like, tells you where all the important maps and bits are located) and make the desired changes.
6!!!! Before you upload the changed file to the ecu, make sure to update the checksums. I'm not going to go into detail on these (search) but if you upload a file with uncorrected checksums the car may start initially, but once you shut it off you're done for. Again, use a battery charger.

Before attempting to flash anything, backup your eeprom if your car has an immobilizer. Get a galletto cable so you
have a way to recover a bricked/failed flash ecu. No matter how careful you are, this will eventually happen.

Read this!

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
staycute
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 01:18:26 AM »

I appreciate you replying. Ok, so I have a Ross tech cable already. Good, so when I plugged it into obd, I opened up nefmoto, then I choose the proper memory layout. Now my question is, do I have to select a bin a this point or can I just read full flash? And definition files I assume can't be found here?

Thanks
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:40:05 AM »

Selecting a BIN is for writing.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
staycute
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:54:24 AM »

Selecting a BIN is for writing.
That's what I figure, well I'll give it a test tomorrow. Thank you for your help.
aysix

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »

Please update when you can

Silly Rabbit 6 speed A6
staycute
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »

Please update when you can

Whoops, sorry. I am having trouble here now. When i read the ecu and then saved it, i opened it with tuner pro. Now i need a def. file. (i was using the one from the s4wiki) but i am guessing it's not compatibe because after i edited and wanted to flash it,i clicked to see if files match and it said files did not flash.

Can anyone direct me to how to find definition files.

PS, i assume my steps here are correct. if not please correct me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: