Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: immobilizer flash on non immo ecu  (Read 28239 times)
ddillenger

« on: December 21, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »

Now the code to check the immobilizer is in the flash, what if the ecu/car wasn't equipped with immo-say a north american ecu with a euro flash. Can you just flash an immo-defeated 95040 bin on there, or is there something more substantial?

As always, thanks guys.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
AARDQ

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »

Yes, if I understand your question correctly.
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=1564.0
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »

I understand disabling the immo, what I'm asking is whether the fact that the original car/ecu never had an immobilizer will change the process.

Say I flash a euro file on a 2000 a6. The 2000 a6 (NA) didn't have an immobilizer. So the data on the 95040 isn't relevant to deleting it. Would you just flash a immo off bin to the 95040, or doesn't it matter as the flash is referencing something that isn't there. There is no immobilizer data stored on the eeprom, would the car start? My thinking is no, but I'd like a definitive answer.

Sorry if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill here.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:54:52 AM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
k0mpresd

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »

i cant answer it 100% but i would assume your two options are to try to use an immo disabled file and if that didnt work then use an eeprom from an ecu that didnt originally have immo either. 2000 a4 1.8t for example.
wait, i think i got your questions backwards. youre wanting to put a flash with immo on an ecu that did not have immo originally? then yes, just flash immo disabled file.
ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »

So I did a bit of testing, and as suspected flashing an immo file onto a non immo ecu resulted in a no-connect issue, and an "engine start blocked by immobilizer" DTC. That was with a blank (non immo) 95040. I flashed an immo defeated bin to the 95040, and everything works as intended.

Why I cared-well, euro s8s were available with manual transmissions. NA cars were not. You can't simply recode a NA ecu (soft coding) to a manual as it won't accept it, and just flashing a euro bin results in immobilizer difficulties. So to confirm, you can flash a NA ecu with a euro bin as long as you also flash a 95040 bin with the immobilizer defeated.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »

Interesting. But the OE cluster supports immo? What happens if you use a cluster from a car with no immo with an ecu that has immo?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »

It's my understanding that the cluster has to match the ecu IF the immobilizer is active. If not, you can use a non-immo cluster in an immo car as long as the it has been disabled in the 95040. If the ecu is defeated, the car will start, but if the cluster and key don't match you'll be stuck with a blinking KEY icon on the dash (same happens if you use an immo cluster in an earlier car). What has me curious is the possibility of retrofitting IMMO into a non IMMO car (I read you were interested in that as well nyet). I have vag-tacho/k+commander as well as several clusters (both immo, and non immo). I can dump the cluster and match the skc to an ecu and then adapt a key (my c5 keys have the RFID chip in them, but I haven't pulled off the column surround to ensure the pickup ring is present, although I suspect that it is) and see if I can get the immobilizer to work. If it works with the immobilizer cluster, I'll see if there's any chance of putting an immo cluster dump into a non immo cluster and getting it to function.

Suggestions? I'll ad all this to the immo writeup when I finish.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:08:51 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Twiki

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 11:35:51 AM »

... I'll see if there's any chance of putting an immo cluster dump into a non immo cluster and getting it to function.

Suggestions? I'll ad all this to the immo writeup when I finish.
I'm also very interested in this.
I have non-immo S4 cluster, non-immo 95040 (NA T-box with M-box flash) and then flashed an RS4 K-box file - same thing: "engine start blocked by immobilizer" DTC. I realise that to get immo going I also have to dump immo info onto 95040. Btw my car (2000 2.8Q) originally had immo, so keys have RFID and column has pick-up ring...
ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »

I can post a immo-off 95040 bin if you like, use argdubs tool to write it to the ecu in boot mode, that will allow the car to start and run with the rs4 (k-box?) bin, or if you have the oem ecu (you said your car originally had an immobilizer) you can copy the 95040 contents onto the t-box. Assuming you also have the original cluster with immo, and an adapted key, that will enable the immobilizer functions in the t-box running the rs4 bin.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:55:54 AM by ddillenger » Logged

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Twiki

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »

I can post a immo-off 95040 bin if you like, use argdubs tool to write it to the ecu in boot mode, that will allow the car to start and run with the rs4 (k-box?) bin, or if you have the oem ecu (you said your car originally had an immobilizer) you can copy the 95040 contents onto the t-box. Assuming you also have the original cluster with immo, and an adapted key, that will enable the immobilizer functions in the t-box running the rs4 bin.
Thx bud, I can get the 95040 bin with immo from the original 2.8Q ECU and I have the RS4 K-box 95040 bin from this forum, just need to sort my bootmode setup so I can dump onto the 95040. The original 2.8Q cluster's rev counter & LCD have given up on me, but the S4 cluster I'd like to use doesn't have immo - would be great if immo can be activated on it... Roll Eyes Do you know how to read from / write to the cluster??
ddillenger

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »

Yes, vag-commander k+can can read/write to the cluster, but I haven't tried flashing a non-immo cluster with an immo-cluster bin yet. It is on the list of things to do!

k+can up to version 2.5 doesn't require a proprietary interface-it'll work with any KKL-cable. I attached my copy to the post. If you can't get it working, I also included the EPT (contains the cable settings and serial number) off of my cable, as well as m-prog (used to write the ept to the cable).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:30:50 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
jibberjive

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »

Nice, this is something I'm working on as well.  I intend to have an immo active North American B5 S4 here pretty soon. I'll be watching this thread.
ddillenger

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »

I (today) successfully put Immo2 on my 2000 a6 (didn't come stock with immo). The oem keys already had rfid chips, the reader was on the ignition barrel. The only part required was an immo-equipped instrument cluster. I just wrote a 95040 bin I snagged off the forum, changed the SKC to what I wanted it to be, corrected the checksums and put it on the ecu. I used an 01 a6 bin to test it (4b0907551aa). It would start then die with a flashing immobilizer icon until I adapted the keys using vcds and the SKC, but now all is well.  The immobilizer box is contained inside the immo2 clusters, (whereas immo3 uses a separate box) and is not present clusters from cars that didn't come equipped with the immobilizer. There are hardware differences (at least between the 00 a6 with no immo, and the 01 that had it) preventing you from just flashing the non-immo cluster with the immo-cluster bin.

I have pictures of the RFID chip in the key (you take the key apart by removing the audi emblem on the back, there is a small philips screw underneath it). I have an immobilizer write up done, just haven't figured out whether to post it here, or on the s4wiki. Waiting for nyet to get back to me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:51:48 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
jibberjive

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »

Has anyone ever taken apart a North American B5 S4 ignition, and can verify whether or not the car has the ignition reader coil?  I know our cars technically didn't come with immo, but I'm curious if, like your A6, our S4's have the coil anyways since the euro B5's had immo.  I was planning on snagging one from a junk yard from a different car, but that would be awesome if it was already there.

Also, interesting info about the immo3 cluster having a separate box. Do you by chance have any links to any related info?  From everything I read, I was under the impression that I could hook up the ignition coil to my stock B5 S4 cluster, flash a matching K-box bin and 95040 with immo enabled, use VAG-com to adapt the cluster to the new bin, and then program some virgin RFID chips for my keys.  Of course the NA B5 S4 cluster wouldn't having the flashing key light, but I wonder if the functionality would work.  Let me know if you have any links off-hand regarding the immo3 'box' in the cluster.  Thanks!
Twiki

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 04:16:39 AM »

Yes, vag-commander k+can can read/write to the cluster, but I haven't tried flashing a non-immo cluster with an immo-cluster bin yet. It is on the list of things to do!

k+can up to version 2.5 doesn't require a proprietary interface-it'll work with any KKL-cable. I attached my copy to the post. If you can't get it working, I also included the EPT (contains the cable settings and serial number) off of my cable, as well as m-prog (used to write the ept to the cable).
Excellent, thanks. Hopefully I'll get it going without any issues...

I (today) successfully put Immo2 on my 2000 a6 (didn't come stock with immo). The oem keys already had rfid chips, the reader was on the ignition barrel. The only part required was an immo-equipped instrument cluster. I just wrote a 95040 bin I snagged off the forum, changed the SKC to what I wanted it to be, corrected the checksums and put it on the ecu. I used an 01 a6 bin to test it (4b0907551aa). It would start then die with a flashing immobilizer icon until I adapted the keys using vcds and the SKC, but now all is well.
Cool bananas!

There are hardware differences (at least between the 00 a6 with no immo, and the 01 that had it) preventing you from just flashing the non-immo cluster with the immo-cluster bin.
Doh! Do you perhaps have details of the h/w differences?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: