Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LDRPID tuning for tightened wastegates  (Read 5460 times)
kenmac

« on: December 23, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »

I am trying to get my part throttle boost under control and I can't help but wonder how other stage 3 folks are accomplishing accurate boost delivery.  What I'm noticing is that I can't seem to achieve a desired boost level at part throttle if desired < wg spring tension.  Actual boost seems to hover at ~10PSI which is the approximate cracking pressure of my Tial MVS wastegate (assuming a request of 5-7PSI) even while WGDC bottoms out at 0%.

In theory, shouldn't the lowest achievable actual boost be limited by your wastegate cracking pressure (assuming no throttle cut)?

The additional boost going unchecked is also causing torque intervention problems (boost deviation threshold already softened):

17743 - Engine Torque Monitor 2: Control Limit Exceeded
        P1335 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I believe it's because miist_w > milsol_w while boost is more elevated than expected, but perhaps there is more torque tuning to do.  But first I'd like to get boost under control.

The graphs below were produced at ~40% throttle.  The engine completely shut off due to the above DTC / exceeded torque.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:19:53 PM by kenmac » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »

In theory, shouldn't the lowest achievable actual boost be limited by your wastegate cracking pressure (assuming no throttle cut)?

Yup. Below 10psi the ECU has no choice but to use throttle cut to limit output torque in the slow path.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
kenmac

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:40:58 PM »

Hmm, yeah I assumed this is a physical limit.  Thanks.

I'll spend my Christmas Eve morning putting in a 5 PSI Wastegate spring. Smiley  Then I'll tackle the torque limit issue if it's not resolved by the wastegate.
jibberjive

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:56:36 PM »

What is the max psi you plan on hitting?  You may be swapping part throttle trouble for difficulty with controlling the high boost regions, if you go for a spring that light in an external wastegate.
kenmac

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »

I'm looking to run fairly high boost - 25PSI or more.  I haven't tested high boost with a soft spring yet, but what are the mechanics of what you're warning against?  Backpressure might open the valve instead of boost input?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »

yup

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
kenmac

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 12:38:39 AM »

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll report back what I find.  I can change the spring out in about 20 minutes, so it'll be worth the investigation.  I don't miss internal gates, ha.
prj

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 05:21:30 AM »

I think some attention needs to be given to FUEDK, and since it is impossible to give a smaller cylinder filling through boost control, FUEDK needs to be calibrated so that it gives less throttle for a certain torque request.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
AARDQ

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »

Excellent timing, I've been noodling on this as well.  Part-load for my tune is pretty abrupt (hybrids).  WDKMSN and MSNWDK?  I've been afraid to mess with these to this point.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: