Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OBD II "Invalid key" followed by "Required time delay not expired"  (Read 19310 times)
groovetek

Greetings,

I use MPPS to upgrade customer cars.

Had a Passat R36 MED9.1.1 today, ECU ID worked fine, then I clicked read and got "Invalid key" error.  Subsequent attempts resulted in "Required time delay not expired" so I was unable to read the ECU data.

Does anyone know what can cause this and if so, how this can possibly be rectified?  I know it's a long shot but thought I'd ask anyway.

Searched all over the internet but didn't find any explanations; only the basic code definition itself:

OBD II Response Failure Codes:

31 "Request Out of Range"
   33 "Security Access Denied"
   34 "Security Access Allowed"
   35 "Invalid Key"
   36 "Exceed number of Attempts"
   37 "Required Time Delay not Expired
setzi62

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:58:26 AM »

well, the "invalid key" error says that your flash reading program performed a
security access sequence with a wrong key.
After this, the ECU will lock for a certain time (about 5 or 10 minutes) and reject
any new security access during the lock time with cause "Required time delay not expired".
The lock time decreases only when you have connected a tester to the ECU with an
active communication session.
To fix your problem you will have to correct the key algorithm in your flashing tool
for the ECU type you want to use.
groovetek

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:24:26 PM »

Thanks for the input; that is much appreciated and does indeed explain the issue I encountered.
viktorg23

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:28:48 AM »

Hello guys,

I'm having a similar problem when trying to read the ecu from a 206 1.4 hdi using KWP 2000+.

What do you mean by "correct the key algorithm in your flashing tool"? How can I do this?

Thanks a lot
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: