Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Double check my newb logic, I want to begin with baby steps  (Read 5393 times)
16g-95gsc

« on: January 07, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »

I need to start somewhere, and you guys are well aware that changing too many parameters at once can lead to confusing during diagnosis. I recently went with K04's, with 3" dual cat-less downpipes, and SSAC catback, on my tiptronic 2001.5.  I picked up a set of 52lb EV14 injectors, and I'm thinking that a good test would be to tune solely for these injectors, getting them dialed in as well as possible.  I would like to dial in KRKTE, and TVUB on my setup with the factory 4bar FPR, to get the tune running like factory.  If I keep the MAF, and intake setup constant, is this all that needs to be adjusted?  Like I said I want to ease into the water, and see how my setup responds. Is that all I need to pay attention to for this simple change?  If I am wrong I apologize, I am trying to learn, but like I said this baby step seemed simple enough.  I am extremely knowledgable with engine tuning, just this german/load based tuning is definitely new (albeit very interesting to learn).  Thanks in advance.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »

Yes. This is a good start!

You may have to alter cold start and warmup, but other than that you should be fine.

Monitor your stft and ltfts until you've got it dialed, then, onwards and upwards!

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
16g-95gsc

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »

Awesome, thank you very much.

I fully expect to monitor stft's( there is a way to diable ltfts by code but I do t know it yet) to perfectly tune these values. 

Why do folks increase the maf diameter other than the obvious restriction decrease?  Is it to I crease the effective mass flow range?  If so at what point does the stock 73mm maf become a restriction?  I am trying to see what steps I should take in my tuning experiments to go from step 1 to a final solid tune.  I have an extremely extensive background in engine tuning just very little in this ECU in particular which utilizes a completely different strategy than I am used to.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »

Is it to I crease the effective mass flow range?  If so at what point does the stock 73mm maf become a restriction?

Yes. Maximum (metered) airflow of stock 73mm maf is ~364 g/sec

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/MAF#MAF_housing_diameter
http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning#Fueling

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
16g-95gsc

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »

I want to tackle the injectors first and then focus on the MAF, since that would introduce too many variables.  Is there a general concensus on a good off the shelf maf housing solution?  I'm relatively new to the Audi world so I am not that familiar with the vendor options.  It seems that many go with an 85mm MAF, is there a particular reason for this size vs larger options?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:21 AM »

I want to tackle the injectors first and then focus on the MAF, since that would introduce too many variables.

Sound reasoning

Is there a general concensus on a good off the shelf maf housing solution?

I'm a fan of Autospeed's MAFs; they're plug and play with the stock setup and work well. A few people make knockoffs if ASP won't sell it to you w/o their full fueling kit

It seems that many go with an 85mm MAF, is there a particular reason for this size vs larger options?

85mm gets you more than enough headroom for most setups, unless you are looking for something very exotic (blow through, >1000 HP etc). No point in using a bigger MAF than you need, you'll just lose resolution.

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: