Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1981 Golf GTI 1.8T Swap  (Read 47486 times)
nordschleife

« on: January 12, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »

Hi All,

I have a MK1 Golf GTI and am going to install a 1.8T from an 2001 Audi A3 (AUM) 1.8T.

I have bought a lightly damaged but complete A3 with keys (it is a running vehicle).

I found this site about a month ago but only recently signed up now that I have secured a donor car for my swap.  I'm really enjoying reading through the topics regarding ME7.5 and so far I have gained a lot from this forum / site.

My plan is to install the engine, gearbox + shifter mechanism, ECU + loom into my Golf over the course of 2013.  Initially I want to disable the immo while the ECU is still in the A3 so that I can verify that it is successful (I will disconnect the cluster to test) while still in the vehicle it was designed for and eliminate any other variables when I come to start it for the first time in my MK1 Golf.  Once it's running without the immo I'd like to then remove any unnecessary emissions associated systems from the AUM and also remove these from the ECU.  After that I will be on the quest for more power but there is plenty of time for that!

I don't want to use the A3 cluster or keys in the MK1 but hopefully by having them it will make the swap a bit easier and make the immo off more straight forward.

I plan to put questions up here as I come across various issues throughout the swap.  I don't have any questions yet as I want to make sure I have read as much as possible without asking the usual n00b questions that can frustrate regulars on the forum.  Not doubt there will be many to come but I just wanted to give a bit of background on what I am trying to achieve in the meantime.
aef

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:30:16 AM »

Where do you come from?
nordschleife

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:00:18 AM »

New Zealand.
nordschleife

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:18:16 AM »

Donor car arrives tomorrow  Grin
nordschleife

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »

Audi A3 donor car has arrived.  It drives but has a damaged radiator so unfortunately I won't be able to give it a good road test before remiving the engine and gearbox.

By next week I should have a VCDS cable and will work on the immo defeat.
nordschleife

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »

Finally some progress has been made!

VCDS cable arrived today.  Scanned the A3 for fault codes and there were a few.  Primarily these were due to the battery being completely dead (not even a light on the dashboard) when I picked the car up.  Since then I've replaced the battery with a known good one and its been fine ever since.  I've cleared the codes and will see if they come back.

VCDS wouldn't work with ME7_95040 (probably due to not switching off "Intelligent Mode" but I had a generic OBD cable which had some sucess on first attempt.  After changing to COM Port 2 I was able to complete a good read and save it to file (attached).  v1.40 wouldn't read over OBD so I used v1.31 which went without a hitch.

ECU is 06A 906 032 FE.
vagenwerk

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:37:56 AM »

i switched off this file for you.
nordschleife

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »

Many thanks.  I downloaded a hex editor last night.  Will be interesting to see if my file is the same as yours!  Smiley
vagenwerk

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »

thanks to click applaud Smiley
nordschleife

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »

Here is my own immo off file.  It looks to be the same as gregor10 added.

Can anybody veryify that this is correct?

Also, I plan to wire in the connection for the A3 cluster in the glovebox area of the Golf and use it occasionally but not as a permanent fixture.  Given that the A3 key won't be used is there anything I need to code in the cluster or ECU so that I don't get DTCs for the key not matching the cluster?
nordschleife

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 12:01:40 AM »

Another question.

My engine is an AUM which has a K03s and 150bhp.  Physically this is identical to the AUQ engine which is also a K03s but has 180bhp.  From my research the only difference between these two "engines" is the ECU map.  Is it possible for me to use an OEM AUQ map on my AUM ECU?  Both engines are DBW, VVT and a 9.5:1 compression ratio.  Furthermore if that is possible could I also use the 190bhp map from a BEX engine (also K03s, DBW, VVT and 9.5:1 however it is from a longitudinal application (A4) and also has twin intercoolers).  The BEX is the highest output OEM 1.8T with a K03s that I know of.

If all of this is possible I'll then use the higher output map as a base to then delete SAI, EGR and so on.
nordschleife

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 02:02:39 AM »

I wrote the 95040 file back to the ECU tonight and it was successfully verified.

The immobiliser light still comes on - is that normal?
aef

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 03:58:32 AM »

Yes, but you wont use this dash in a mk1 so doesnt matter.
nordschleife

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 12:58:51 AM »

After fitting a 710N DV I ran some logs with VCDS and found that the boost is bang on for a standard 150bhp AUM at approximately 8.5psi.

I'd like to try an OEM map from a 180bhp AUG (there are a few to choose from on this forum).  How do I know if they will work with my 06A 906 032 FE?
nordschleife

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 08:24:35 PM »

I used NefMoto to read the ECU today.  How do I know which memory layout to use?

I've read here: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php?title=NefMoto_ECU_Flashing_Software but my specific part number 06A906032FE isn't listed.  I've also read a few other topics but can't find a definitive answer.

Both 29F800 and 29F800BB worked (files attached).  Do these files look OK?  I want to make a good copy of the OEM file before making any changes.

As mentioned above I want write a map from a AUQ ECU (180bhp).  There are several available on this site.  Is there a particular file that I need or will any of them work?

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: