Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 1981 Golf GTI 1.8T Swap  (Read 47541 times)
nordschleife

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 01:55:49 AM »

Some further info.  The Bosch part number of the ECU is 0261207205.

This site http://www.rtcsport.com/ListaEcu.html mentions as per below 29F800 (without the BB) so can I safely assume that it is that?

AUDI A3 1800 20V TURBO ME7 FLASH_0029 1037354890 0261207205 29F800 97EC

With that in mind can I use a .bin from any AUQ with a Memory Layout of ME7 AM29F800 as per this page: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php?title=NefMoto_ECU_Flashing_Software  Eg do I just need to make sure that the part number of the 'donor' AUQ ECU matches one of the Tested ECUs with a layout of ME7 AM29F800?

Lastely, do I need a .bin from a manual gearbox car or are the files the same between manual and automatic transmissions?
ddillenger

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 02:01:11 AM »

Open the ecu, take a look at the flash chip. The memory layout is etched right onto the top of it.

As for cross flashing ecu numbers, it isn't generally advised. There are a few tried and true combinations, but there are also those that end up with issues. If you're going to do it make sure the following matches:

EGT sensors-did the donor have egt's? How about the new flash?
VVT-same question
Wideband lambda vs narrowband lambda?

BTW-the vag number may be more helpful when referencing flashes (IE 4b0906018m) as opposed to the bosch number you listed.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nordschleife

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 02:17:57 AM »

Thanks for that.  I have reinstalled the ECU back in the car now.  However I do have photos.  There is a sticker on the chip but none of the numbers on there match any of the memory layout labels within NefMoto.  Perhaps its under the sticker?

My AUM and the AUQ engines are physically identical in every way - all the sensors etc are the same, wiring looms are interchangable, etc.  The only difference between the two is the ECU (and that AUM = 150bhp and AUQ = 180bhp).  Is it still a bad idea?

VAG number is 06A906032FE and Bosch number is 0261207205.  I found the info in the prevous post by googling the Bosch number.
ddillenger

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 02:50:06 AM »

The chip ID is etched into the chip itself, under the white paper sticker. I'm pretty sure it'll be 29f800bb-70se. As long as you're sure the ecu hardware is the same, go for it. You obviously have bootmode figured out, so the worst case scenario is a no start which you can easily rectify. Just do a vag-com scan afterwards to make sure there are no errors as a result.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nordschleife

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »

Cool, again, thanks for your help.  Digging around the photos I have of the ECU I found this one and cropped it in an attempt to make it easier to read.  The sticker covers the majority of the letters but what I think is the top of the letters still shows.

Assuming the memory layout etching you mentioned is upside down in relation to the sticker then this looks like a 29F800BB.  The shape of the tops of the last two characters looks like BB to me.

Do you agree or do I need to remove and open the ECU again to verify?
nordschleife

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »

After doing some further reading I came to the conclusion that attempting a write with the wrong memory layout would fail and that would give me the answer.

I decided to use the file from this topic http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=820.0title= and attempt to write it to my 06A906032FE ECU which I can now confirm has the 29F800BB memory layout.  It worked without a problem.  My A3 now thinks its a TT and has improved performance to match.

Originally VCDS reported the ECU to be:

Address 01: Engine        Labels: 06A-906-032-AUM.lbl
   Part No: 06A 906 032 FE
   Component: 1.8L R4/5VT         0002 
   Coding: 04500
   Shop #: WSC 06435 
   VCID: 66C94C44027A6328BB0

Now it shows as:

Address 01: Engine        Labels: 06A-906-032-AJQ.lbl
   Part No: 8N0 906 018 AP
   Component: 1.8L R4/5VT         0003 
   Coding: 04500
   Shop #: WSC 00000 
   VCID: 7F07F9207DE0D2E0586

The part I found interesting is that the topic when I downloaded the file from says its for an AUM engined car.  VCDS above says its for an AJQ engined car which is esentially the same engine however with a K03 instead of a K03s.  That leads me to believe that there is still more pertformance potential due to my car being fitted with a K03s.

Furthermore what is more interesting is that I have used a .bin file from a different engine code to an ECU with a different part number and I don't appear to have had any issues.  From some other posts I have read this type of cross pollination is not recommended - did I just get lucky?
AMUquattro

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »

Great project, I'm on here seaking similar advise for a 2001 AMU from a TT 225 swap into a '85 GTI.  Good luck!
nordschleife

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 12:38:21 AM »

Thanks!  A MK2 should be a more straight forward process.  Not sure if an 85 will have the CE1 or CE2 fusebox but either will be simpler than my S1 fusebox.  I'm currently rewiring the whole car to upgrade it to CE1 as the S1 is a nightmare for trying to run a ME7.5 1.8T!
nordschleife

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »

Long overdue for an update to this post!

The current 8v engine in the car blew the head gasket late last year and I decided to repair that before making the jump from S1 to CE1.

It took a few days over the Christmas break but I successfully made the transition to CE1.  I bought an entire loom from a MK1 Cab and changed everything except for the rear loom which only required a re-pin and the later style connector.  There are still a couple of minor jobs to do but it was mostly a smooth and easy process.

I'm hoping to do some more work on the donor car before the end of summer, time permitting.
_nameless

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »

Here is my own immo off file.  It looks to be the same as gregor10 added.

Can anybody veryify that this is correct?

Also, I plan to wire in the connection for the A3 cluster in the glovebox area of the Golf and use it occasionally but not as a permanent fixture.  Given that the A3 key won't be used is there anything I need to code in the cluster or ECU so that I don't get DTCs for the key not matching the cluster?
upload your orig

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
nordschleife

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 10:12:07 PM »

Time for another update!

Progress has obviously been quite slow.  However the AUM and 02J is now mounted in the car and the job of wiring it all up is about to start.

The engine no longer has SAI and I won't be using EVAP so I have been researching how to code those out.  I've found a definition file on here for an ECU with a slightly different suffix but it appears to be the same in terms of viewing the data.  Once I have verified that I'll make a bin with the SAI and EVAP deleted.  Not sure if I need to do anything in the ECU given I'm not running PS or AC but will see what happens.

Before removing the engine from the donor car I remapped it back to standard.  I suspect that the outgoing engine was about 150bhp so it will be interesting to make a comparison once this is finally running.

Will try and post updates more often as I'd like to have it running this year!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: