Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Blowing Coil Packs  (Read 31212 times)
catbed

« on: January 27, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »

I have the newer 2.0t coils in my car with BRK7ES-11 plugs, and the car ran great for months with them in. Then the other week driving up to school I blew all 4 06H coils. When I pulled them all and they were VERY hot and the bodies had cracked. I noticed the bodies were plastic and online I found they are prone to cracking. So I ordered up some 07K coils and threw those in, same plugs.

They lasted for about a week. The car ran fine for a while, I was able to do multiple 3-4 gear pulls, then all of a sudden when I tried to do another pull, it started misfiring bad at like 5 psi. So I limp to where I need to go and pull the coils. They are also very hot, and show some teal goop coming through the rubber. So I bought 4 new coils from the dealer, and drove the car home. As soon as I got off the exit ramp, I lost a cylinder. Drove it home sounding like a subaru and pulled the coils. Two of them showed the same teal goop, and the other two I could see a crack in the rubber, and they had bulges under the rubber.

So, what could be causing me to blow coilpacks so quickly? I understand the dwell time is different for the 2.0t coils, and it is set too high in the stock 01 tune. Could too high of a dwell time alone cause this problem? Or should I look into replacing my coil pack wiring? I was planning on redoing both dwell time and the wiring, but was wondering if anybody had similar problem and found a solution.
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »

Are you running AL/NLS?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
catbed

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »

Are you running AL/NLS?

Yes, but I have not used it on the newest coils. I was using LC on the 06H coils, and only NLS on the first set of 07K coils.  The third and most recent set had no exposure to 0ms dwell time.
prj

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »

dwell time if extremely high can cause this.
Sounds like your wiring is screwed though.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
goatman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »

dwell time or wiring one or the other.

littco

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:37:29 AM »

When you say they had no exposure to 0 dwell do you mean you flashed back a map with ftmon set back to stock 0.5ms or you ran the same map but just didn't NLS/ALS?

What Ecu you running?
catbed

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:08:54 AM »

When you say they had no exposure to 0 dwell do you mean you flashed back a map with ftmon set back to stock 0.5ms or you ran the same map but just didn't NLS/ALS?

What Ecu you running?

Just didn't use NLS/LC. ECU is 4b0906018ch 1.8t.

I only drove 15 miles on the last set of coils.
littco

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 04:02:09 AM »

So NLS is still mapped in and ftmon still set to 0? Have you tried putting a stock flash back on and seeing if that cures it?
20VTMK1

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 05:05:11 AM »

Hi ,

What would be a good FTMON for 2.0 FSI packs ?
catbed

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »

So NLS is still mapped in and ftmon still set to 0? Have you tried putting a stock flash back on and seeing if that cures it?

I have not. I need to run to the dealer and get 4 new coils. I'm going to do the wiring at the same time as to not throw 100 more dollars down the drain blowing the new coil packs.
catbed

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »

Hi ,

What would be a good FTMON for 2.0 FSI packs ?

FTMON does not need adjusting, look at page 2 of http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=445.15 to find out what needs changing for 2.0t coils.
catbed

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 10:25:48 PM »

Well I pulled the harness and checked it over. The wiring all seems fine. All power, ground, and signal wires have continuity from the ECU to each connectors, and they all have <1 ohm resistance plug to plug. No power/grounds or signal wires are shorted together. I did make the harness from about 18 inches past the o2 sensor plugs, but all of my splices' heat shrinks are intact, and no wires are worn through.

My next move is to go over the grounds in the car. I am going to re-do the chassis ground near the battery and the small one under the coolant reservoir. I already added a ground directly from the battery to the head using 8ga wire so I'm confident that is grounded.

After grounds are checked, I am flashing a brand new tune, without LC and NLS coded and with maps changed to mimic the MED9 dwell maps. Any other suggestions while I do that stuff?
catbed

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 08:48:18 PM »

Been real busy lately so I haven't been able to do much, but the harness is all rewrapped now and mostly installed. I changed the necessary maps in ZUESZ so hopefully I am good to go. I started thinking more into what could've caused it. I bought the first set of 2.0t coils in may 2012. Drove the car the whole summer and never had problems. I have about 11k miles since last January.

I drove the car to school and back home at the end of thanksgiving, before it started to get below ~45F. I noticed a very slight misfire at WOT from time to time but nothing major. The car then sat for 4 weeks due to clutch issues. Got it running dec 23 and drove it back to school when the coils blew jan 6, where the temp was ~10F. The second set went in as cold or colder weather.

Am I wrong in assuming this probably has something to do with the cold?
ddillenger

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the temp. Are the plugs still gapped ok?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
catbed

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 09:33:23 PM »

Yea plugs are still gapped .040. I'm probably going to pick up some bkr7e1'1s and gap them .035.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: