Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Use your VCDS USB Cable (& software link repository)  (Read 91824 times)
cyril279

« on: January 28, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »

Objective: Extend the use of my existing genuine KII-usb FT232r cable.

The KII-USB is NOT on the recommended cables list, and it seems that people have had issues connecting with the ME7_ECU_Flasher.  The KII is all that I have, and I haven’t had any issue connecting to, reading, and flashing (or recovering) my ECU.

First, we replace Ross-Tech's USB drivers with VCP (Virtual Com Port) drivers.
This broadens the use of the cable to include programs that use direct usb drivers (VCDS, Nefmoto, Galletto)
  -AND-
programs looking for a serial com port (ARGDUB's me7_95040, VAG K+CAN).
  -uninstall the ross-tech USB drivers and check the "delete driver software" box.
    - Ross-Tech provides a VCP driver link and installation notes about how to set up their usb products for use with third party applications.
       -OR-
    - FTDIchip.com provides up-to-date VCP drivers and an installation guide.  <-- I prefer this

note: for future VCDS installations, uncheck all of the driver cleanup & usb driver boxes during installation.

-open VCDS: options, uncheck "Boot in intelligent mode", and “test”.
VCDS does not need to remain running in the background.

Galletto:
  -The serial # embedded in the .exe must match the serial stored in the FTDI chip of your cable for it to work.
  -If the numbers don't match, the serial inside the .exe can easily be changed with a hex editor.
  -The serial number is stored after the text "Marca:" at offset 0x249E90 in EOBD1260.exe
  -You can get the serial # of your cable by dumping it using nefmoto -> Licensing -> Save Device Info to File
  Credit to kls and NYET

-OR-

-Follow ddillenger’s procedure to edit Galletto’s exe for use with your existing FT232R cable

VAG_K+Commander_v3.6:
VAG_K+Commander_v2.5:
(files are linked in the post)
(VAG K+ CAN 2.5 vs 3.6 problems)

The limitations of use, of a genuine VCDS cable:
The ept is basically the cables fingerprint. Putting the ept from one cable onto another makes it a clone. For instance-vag-tacho requires a specific driver to work. Unless the cable has the "USB to KLINE interface" driver installed, it wont work. You cant just install the driver as it'll tell you that the driver contains no information for your device. The ept changes the device details to accept alternate drivers.

February 12, 2013:
VCDS cables can be flashed, BUT they still have microcontrollers in them. They are intelligent cables, capable of processes on their own. [Therefore] vcds has the capability of bricking your cable if it detects any funny business...

VAG Tacho: (I'm including this just to round out the list, but this should NOT be used with your kii-usb. files are linked in the post)
I was asked to post this by another member, vag tacho and ept for the cable.

NOTE! Vag tacho only works with their drivers. You must use the EPT in order to install the USB-KLINE INTERFACE drivers. (or rewrite the driver, but I'm not going into that).

With everything I just posted you can have one single cable for nefmoto, galletto, vag-tach0, vag commander, and pretty much anything else that requires a dumb kkl cable.

MPPS V13: (I'm including this just to round out the list, but this should NOT be used with your kii-usb. files are linked in the post)

I don’t plan doing any tuning or programming, but the software grants me the ability to read SKC, recover, and clone ECU's. This information is all here on the site already, but I hope that having it in one place helps someone out a bit.

Massive thanks to TONY, ddillenger, ArgDub, setzi, notorious vr, plila_dot, nyet, kompressd…  all the bosses.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:55:40 AM by cyril279 » Logged
ddillenger

I just want to say that the rosstech cable WILL work with me7_95040 (argdubs eeprom programmer). You must install the VCP drivers from rosstech, set the com port number between 1 and 4, and then open VCDS and deselect "boot in intelligent mode". Save the settings, exit vcds, and then you can use the cable for reading/writing the 95040 eeprom. I didn't know if it would work, but I have confirmed that it does.

Great job gathering the info. Should be helpful.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

I can confirm that RossTech's VCP driver functions correctly.

On a different topic, i am considering programming all my non VCDS cables to have the vagtacho serial # (using MProg), and hacking galletto.exe to use that # as well.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

I can confirm that RossTech's VCP driver functions correctly.

On a different topic, i am considering programming all my non VCDS cables to have the vagtacho serial # (using MProg), and hacking galletto.exe to use that # as well.

Do it. I just learned that your nefmoto license isn't tied to the cable serial number, but rather the FTDI chip ID, which cannot be changed. So, you can change the serial numbers without worrying about losing your nefmoto license. Good news!

BTW-all my cables have serial 47514789 (embedded galletto serial number).

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

You can't change the sn on a vagcom cable to work with vagtacho can you?

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

an authentic vag-com cable? I don't know honestly. Just read and parse the cable, save the EPT, and flash the vag-tacho EPT. Worse case, you can always revert it back to stock. I don't think you can brick a cable.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
k0mpresd

you can basically brick a cable. enough to require some soldering.
cyril279

I just want to say that the rosstech cable WILL work with me7_95040 (argdubs eeprom programmer). You must install the VCP drivers from rosstech...

Isn't that what I said? oh wait, I see it now
First, we replace Ross-Tech's drivers with FTDI VCP drivers.

damn, I meant to say that ross-tech's usb drivers needed to be replaced with either ross-tech or ftdi vcp drivers, but the wording certainly doesn't get there. I'll fix that, thanx gentlemen.
Twiki

I just want to say that the rosstech cable WILL work with me7_95040 (argdubs eeprom programmer). You must install the VCP drivers from rosstech, set the com port number between 1 and 4, and then open VCDS and deselect "boot in intelligent mode". Save the settings, exit vcds, and then you can use the cable for reading/writing the 95040 eeprom. I didn't know if it would work, but I have confirmed that it does.

Great job gathering the info. Should be helpful.
Hi ddillenger, I have been struggling with getting into bootmode for ever. I have the rosstech cable (hex-usb+can), loaded VCP drivers etc, but no go. My laptop has issued com port 11 (all lower ones used already), but now you mention com port must be 1-4. Can you confirm that? Maybe that's been my problem...?
Also, trying to get my cable's ID to use Galletto etc. MProg reports "RT00001" as the serial number, which seems a bit odd. Using the Nefmoto SW ->Licensing -> save device info to file it confirms the RT serial number:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
- <FTDIDevicesFile Version="1.0.0.0">
- <Devices>
- <Devices>
  <Description>Ross-Tech HEX-USB</Description>
  <Flags>0</Flags>
  <ID>67369508</ID>
  <LocId>529</LocId>
  <SerialNumber>RT000001</SerialNumber>
  <Type>FT_DEVICE_232R</Type>
  <Index>0</Index>
  <ChipID>2995746773</ChipID>
  </Devices>
  </Devices>
  </FTDIDevicesFile>

Help please!
Thanks...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »

Yep. Thats the serial number.

ECUx Plot

Twiki

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »

Btw, I tried COM2, with latest FTDI drivers - still no go - but I'll seek further help in a new thread...
Boost Syndicate

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:22:10 PM »

Ok so from my understanding and let me know if I did this correctly... Just recorded the serial off my dumb com port blue ftdi cable and changed the serial # in galleto.exe to except the cable as a paired hardware to software interface.
A4Rich

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »

(VCDS, Nefmoto, Galletto)
    - FTDIchip.com provides up-to-date VCP drivers and an installation guide.  <-- I prefer this

For the longest time I could never get the ftdi drivers to work, always had to use the Ross-Tech drivers... recently I had to set up a new computer for logger and tried it our again.  Finally I got the ftdi drivers to work and thought I would share.  Smiley

1.  Download the latest ftdi driviers, see link above.
2.  Open your Device Manager and find your VCDS cable
3.  Right click on your VCDS cable and select "update drivers"
4.  Select “Browse…”, then “Let me pick…”, then “Have Disk…”, then “Browse…”, and navigate to the location of the ftdi drivers you just downloaded.
5.  The driver folder should contain “ftdiport.inf” which you need to click, then click "Open", and then click "OK"
6.  The next window gives several models to choose from click “USB Serial Converter” and then “Yes” to the warning and finally click “close” after the driver has been installed.
7.  In the device manager right click “USB Serial Converter” and click on “properties”
8.  In the properties menu select the advanced tab and insure the “Load VCP” is checked and click “OK”
9.  In your Devices and Printers Ross-Tech Hex-USB should show up, right click on “Ross-Tech Hex-USB” and click on “properties”
10.  In the properties menu select the hardware tab to find out the COM location and then use that location... done.
easy e

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 03:40:25 PM »

For the longest time I could never get the ftdi drivers to work, always had to use the Ross-Tech drivers... recently I had to set up a new computer for logger and tried it our again.  Finally I got the ftdi drivers to work and thought I would share.  Smiley

1.  Download the latest ftdi driviers, see link above.
2.  Open your Device Manager and find your VCDS cable
3.  Right click on your VCDS cable and select "update drivers"
4.  Select “Browse…”, then “Let me pick…”, then “Have Disk…”, then “Browse…”, and navigate to the location of the ftdi drivers you just downloaded.
5.  The driver folder should contain “ftdiport.inf” which you need to click, then click "Open", and then click "OK"
6.  The next window gives several models to choose from click “USB Serial Converter” and then “Yes” to the warning and finally click “close” after the driver has been installed.
7.  In the device manager right click “USB Serial Converter” and click on “properties”
8.  In the properties menu select the advanced tab and insure the “Load VCP” is checked and click “OK”
9.  In your Devices and Printers Ross-Tech Hex-USB should show up, right click on “Ross-Tech Hex-USB” and click on “properties”
10.  In the properties menu select the hardware tab to find out the COM location and then use that location... done.

I know this is an old post, but it helped me, so thanks.  I had to do a restore of Windows 7.  Afterwards Visual ME7logger would say at the start of logging that ftd2xx.dll was not available.  I had downloaded the drivers from ftdichip and tried to install other ways to no avail.  This worked.  VCDS, Nefmoto flasher, and ME7Visual all work now through Ross-Tech hex+can cable.
dragon187

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 01:03:19 PM »

From Ross-Tech

It does NOT apply to our current HEX-V2 or HEX-NET interfaces.
These new interfaces do not use a USB UART chip and cannot be be used for "dumb K-line pass-through"!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: