Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does it take to turn a tune E85?  (Read 6527 times)
1gcrazy

« on: February 02, 2013, 01:00:53 AM »

So i've been reading a lot the last few days(IE: neglecting homework!!) and I'm a BIG fan of E85 since I've seen massive gains across the board on all boosted platforms by switching and It's ALL over Colorado. I've noticed that it's not very supported by the Audi community which is understandable since it's more of an inconvenience and most people don't mind the cost of meth on top of 91/93.
Whats it take to run E85 exactly? Is it as simple as compensating for the larger injectors and the 30% more fuel needed? Then obviously tune for more boost/timing depending on the turbo setup? I'm very new to this but i'm also VERY curious. Be gentle  Grin I'm still learning/memorizing the damn Alien text you guys call "code"...
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 01:05:49 AM »

Cold start enrichment is a big thing. Alcohol doesn't properly atomize at low temps, so about 300 percent enrichment is the norm. Without it you're lucky if the car starts let alone moves until it warms up.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
1gcrazy

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 01:08:28 AM »

I've read a lot about E85 and cold starts, being in Colorado, it's a big concern of mine. Bluewater Performance here in Denver actually does a flex fuel type setup... any info on this? I'm assuming it's with a flex fuel sensor but how the hell would you tune for something so dynamic? Also, since cold is an issue, is it like diesel where it wont even start at times? When I was hardcore DSM I was in the know but that was almost 3 years ago now... any solutions? How about the gunk on the injector tips issue?
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »

I live in NY, as such, e85 isn't even a remote possiblity. My experience is limited to say the least, but there are several good reads about it.

And yes, if the cold start tables are wrong the car won't start.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
1gcrazy

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 01:28:38 AM »

I have read up on it and i'm not any sort of expert but I do know quite a bit about on the topic. Just not sure how it transfers into Audi form. Thanks for what you could contribute though! Maybe I need to figure out the whole bosch tuning idea and then start easing into some E85. It's MUCH MUCH more forgiving when learning to tune mainly due to it's race gas tendencies against knock.
jibberjive

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »

Just a heads up regarding hardware, I'm going to have an 'end all' E85 fuel pump setup, lines, wiring kit out real soon.

Also, regarding a dynamic flex-fuel setup, check out my thread here regarding that. I'm likely to pursue that as well, but that will take more time to vet out. I've also got some thoughts about a simple heater for E85 cold starts in cold climates, but that's even further out.  The pumps and lines will be done real soon though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:08:12 PM by jibberjive » Logged
jibberjive

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »

And yes, though it's much more forgiving regarding knock, people new to the fuel tend to go overboard with timing and can more easily make it past MBT.  Once you breach MBT, cylinder pressures go up FAST, so be careful not to blow the engine.
ddillenger

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »

Just a heads up regarding hardware, I'm going to have an 'end all' E85 fuel pump setup, lines, wiring kit out real soon.

Also, regarding a dynamic flex-fuel setup, check out my thread here regarding that. I'm likely to pursue that as well, but that will take more time to vet out. I've also got some thoughts about a simple heater for E85 cold starts in cold climates, but that's even further out.  The pumps and lines will be done real soon though.

I have a big roll of heated fuel line, works great for vegetable oil in diesels and that has to be kept MUCH hotter than e85. Something to look into.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: