Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NefMoto ME7 Flashing Software Release 1.6.1.0  (Read 50024 times)
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« on: December 30, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »

Summary:
The NefMoto ME7 ECU flasher is a free tool that allows you to read and write the flash memory in your ME7 ECU in car over the OBD port. All that is required is a FTDI based USB OBD cable that works in "dumb" mode. Dumb mode cables pass the raw serial data straight through without applying any higher level protocols.

Features:
-ECUs can be written through the OBD port in about three and half minutes.
-ECUs can be read through the OBD port in about five minutes.
-User defined memory layouts allow for flashing any memory arrangement.
-Writing erases and programs one memory sector at a time to allow you to recover the ECU in case of failure.
-Written and read data is verified with checksums to insure data was sent correctly.
-Reading and clearing error codes is also supported.

This software does NOT:
-Does not update checksums or validate the file you are flashing in any way.
-Does not allow you to edit any maps, value, etc. It is just for flashing.

System requirements:
-32bit or 64bit Windows Vista or Newer (Will work if run inside a virtual Windows machine on Mac and Linux as well)
-.NET 3.5 (installed as part of install process)
-FTDI USB D2XX driver version 2.06.00 or later
-3 megabytes of free hard drive space

Tested supported cables:
-eBay USB VAG KKL using the FTDI D2XX standard driver
-Ross-Tech HEX-KEY-CAN using the Ross-Tech FTDI D2XX driver ("boot in intelligent mode" must be unchecked in the VCDS options screen)
-Any dumb OBDII cable using the FTDI USB chip

Tested unsupported cables:
-Galletto (Does not support dumb mode)
-KWP2000+ Flasher (Does not support dumb mode)
-Old Ross-Tech KEY-USB (Does not support true dumb mode)

Tested supported ECUs list on the wiki:
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki/index.php?title=NefMoto_ECU_Flashing_Software

Known issues:
-No known issues. Please let me know if you find any.

How to install:
Please uninstall any previous versions of the NefMoto ME7 ECU Flasher before installing the latest version.
To install, download and run the attached file ECUFlasherHostInstaller 1.6.1.0.msi.
Then ensure that you have the FTD2XX driver installed for your specific cable.
If you have a generic cable, download CDM20600.zip, then extract it and install the generic FTDI D2XX driver.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:21:17 AM by Tony@NefMoto » Logged

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:12:12 PM »

What is new in this release:
-Better support for 2003/2004 VW and Audi.
-Better communication time outs that take USB latency into account.
-All buttons in the user interface now have tool tips explaining what they do and why they may be disabled.

UPDATE:
A new build of the 1.6.1.0 installer has been attached to the first post which resolves everyone's installation issues.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:30:07 PM by Tony@NefMoto » Logged

Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
heavy_mech

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:52:57 PM »

I installed 1.6.1.0 today and can't get it to launch.  Error I get is "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).  Click OK to close the application."

Previous version worked fine.  Uninstalled previous version first.  Uninstalled new version, reinstalled old version; works fine.

OS is Win 7 Ultimate x64
heavy_mech

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:19:13 PM »

Tried read mode with 1.6.0.0  Car is '02 Jetta w/ 2.8 12V AFP code engine.  Bosch ME 7.1  ID is correct.  Everything worked except read never became enabled.  Slow init, fast init, ECU info, DTC's.  Using Ross-Tech HEX+CAN.  Here's the log file

BTW I can dump with Tacho 3.01 no problem.
kls

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »

Did you select a memory layout - that is required.

Vag Tacho can't dump the ecu flash, it may be able to read portions of the eeprom though.
heavy_mech

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:47:26 AM »

I say dump I don't mean it can remove file.  But it reads to memory buffer and then I can view or save it.  I'll attach it as a .txt file here

Thanks about memory layout.  I'll have to look at it again tomorrow.  I still don't know why I can 't use the new one.

Did you select a memory layout - that is required.

Vag Tacho can't dump the ecu flash, it may be able to read portions of the eeprom though.
heavy_mech

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »

This not working on my laptop (Win7 Ulti x64).  I tried it on another running Vista Home Premium SP2.  Everything is up to date.  When I try to start it I get dependency errors.  Probably on my end, but thought you might like the error log.

Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »

Broken here too...  "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).  Click OK to close the application.
heavy_mech

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »

I cleaned up the corrupt/missing dll's on the Vista machine.  Now I'm stuck at the same (0xc0000142) message on that machine too.  Seems it's a delay issue with ieframe.dll?
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »

Is it only people on 64bit machines that are having a problem with the new release?

My next suggestion would be trying to install the .NET 3.5 full version.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:17:59 PM by Tony@NefMoto » Logged

Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:55:03 AM »

Yeah, x64... no whammy on 2 machines, both up to date...
BoostedR36MK3

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 07:11:58 PM »

My laptop is Vista 32bit and getting the error "API-MS-Win-Core-ProcessThreads-L1-1-0.dll was not found".In my attempt to fix this I found that windows 7 has added a apiset stub for processes such as CreateProcessA. Simply downloading those .dll files to my vista machine did not work as it could not initialize the dll's. Has anyone managed to get this working on vista? Also may I ask why the use of .net rather than something that will require less dependancies?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:54:51 PM by BoostedR36MK3 » Logged
ECUnerd

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »

Happy New Year Everyone!

I tested this new version in Windows 7 Starter Edition with all updates.  No problem launching the program.  I loaded the memory layout for my Audi 2003 A4 and got an error.  I press disconnect then connect and the problem was solved.  I used a Ross Tech USB compatible cable.

The program read the ECU in less than 4 minutes with no mistakes.  ALL PERFECT!

Writing a tuned file to the ECU was also successful although I got this error after 94%:

"Requesting flash memory erase for address range 0x008F0000 to 0x008F7FFF.
Failed to erase flash memory.
100% complete.
Writing ECU flash memory failed."

This is just a GREAT program.  I couldn't read or clear DTC's but it is near to perfection on the next version I think. 

How many of you modified your own original obtained files? 
Does the US have car shops that can tune or MOD the file you obtain?

Pretty sure they most be cheaper tha GIAC, Revo, APR or Unitronics I think.

tobz

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 06:57:32 PM »

Up-to-date Windows 7 Ultimate x64 w/ .NET 4.0 - getting the same unhandled exception as the other guys in this thread.
SundayNightDriver

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 02:29:10 PM »

Runs fine here on a Windows 7 Enterprise fresh install.

But I still can't read the firmware or even test memory layout from my A8's ME7.1.
Software displays "no answer to Tester present message" or something, and the ECU records an error "clamp 30 voltage too low".
It seems that with my charger I cannot get voltage above about 12.3V .. even though the powercap in my trunk displayed 13.9 in this case. Does the ECU check voltage when entering programming mode, or could this be a side effect of some other issue?

I pulled the instrument cluster's fuse this time but it didn't make any difference..
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:30:43 PM by SundayNightDriver » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: