Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NO START - FAILED CHECKSUM?  (Read 24166 times)
phila_dot

« on: January 17, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »

I am trying to code out my secondary O2 sensors because I am throwing codes for the O2 heater. I read the file from my stage 1 socketed chip L box. I compared the addresses below in the stock M box to my stage 1 L box file and they appeared identical. Addresses and changes below.

Enable/Disable Diagnosis:                                                                 Old         New
0x81819E, Post cat O2 heater diagnosis                                             1           0
0x81819F, Post cat O2 heater amplifier diagnosis                                 1           0
0x8181AA, Post cat O2 sensor diagnosis                                            1           0
0x8181A2, Catalytic converter efficiency diagnosis                                1           0

Enable/Disable Fault Code:
0x8106F0, Error Class: Bank 1 post cat O2 sensor heater                     3           0
0x8106F1, Error Class: Bank 2 post cat O2 sensor heater                     3           0
0x8106F2, Error Class: Bank 1 post cat O2 sensor heater amplifier        3           0
0x8106F3, Erro r Class: Bank 2 post cat O2 sensor heater amplifier        3            0

I ran the checksums in the Ultimo checksum corrector and all came back good. I then flashed the modified file to my stock J box. So far all is well. I then connected with VAG-com and when I opened the engine control module, where it normally displays the Engine type it read "THIS IS THE RAM PROGRAM". I have seen this in my logs before and decided it was a product of the flash tool. Checked fault codes and there were none. Then I closed VAG and started the car. No problem, idle was a little rough, but not bad. Connected with VAG again and no problems or codes. The engine control module now displayed 8D0907551L. I shut off the car and attempted to restart. No start. Attempted to connect with VAG and I cannot. I wasn't able to connect with NefMoto or anything. At this point, my laptop battery only had a few minutes left so I had to stop.

I am attaching the original stage 1 file, my modified file, and the NefMoto log file. Can someone please help me figure out what went wrong? I do not really trust the Ultimo checksum corrector as every combination of bins that I have tried needed no corrections. If it is a checksum issue can someone please correct them for me? Also, will I be able to flash this ECU using the NefMoto tool? Thank you.

Mike
fredrik_a

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:50 PM »

"I ran the checksums in the Ultimo checksum corrector and all came back good."

If the Ultimo program says that Check zones=0 after the comparison, it hasn't actually managed to properly check any checksum zones at all, i.e. the checksums can be totally wrong and the Ultimo program won't do anything about it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:26:55 PM by fredrik_a » Logged
phila_dot

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »

I couldn't find any documentation on it and  the results were highlighted in green. Green means good to me. I got the same results with every combination of bins I tried. Have you had success with this program and ME7?
fredrik_a

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:31:29 PM »

I couldn't find any documentation on it and  the results were highlighted in green. Green means good to me. I got the same results with every combination of bins I tried. Have you had success with this program and ME7?

Yes, I've tested it for both VAG ME7 (1.8T engines, both 512kB and 1024kB files) and Volvo ME7 actually. Some VAG ME7 doesn't work for some reason (Checked zones=0)... The program usually autodetects the type of file and chooses the proper checksum scheme.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:48:00 PM by fredrik_a » Logged
setzi62

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »

The 8D0907551L uses a newer version of CRC data checksum. Seems like
the tool you used does not support this.
Your modified O2_DELETE file has wrong data section checksums and page checksums:
 checksum = 786471B5 <-> 7F3DA2A9 (calculated data area crc32) ** NOT OK **
 checksum = 36D20605 <-> 22FB6B3E (calculated data area crc32) ** NOT OK **
 810000 - 813FFF (wordwise) = 06E5F89E,  checksum = 06E5FEA4   ** NOT OK **
 818190 - 81BFFF (wordwise) = 06C2BA86,  checksum = 06C2BB89   ** NOT OK **
-> See the fixed binary

You will see "THIS-IS-THE-RAM-PROGRAM-" if the flash tool connects to
address $01 while the ECU is still in a programming session.
The logfile shows successful reading and programming cycle, but then 5 minutes later
you could no longer connect (maybe because the battery voltage had dropped too far?).
Did you try with the newest version of the NefMoto FlashTool to recover?

dan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »

I tried it on a few S4/RS4 bins that were heavily butchered and it didn't detect any errors, zero zones checked as posted above.  I do get a DLL error when it first starts, but it seems like it is in Italian?
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »

Any lucked getting this sorted out?

Can you connect with VAG-COM or NefMoto?

Worse case you could use Galletto to do a boot mode flash to go back to your old tune.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
phila_dot

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »

Thanks setzi62. Unfortunately, I still cannot connect with NefMoto or Vag-com. Where do I go from here? What do I need to get started with Galletto?

Thank you again for all the help guys.

Mike
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »

You can convert an eBay KKL cable into a Galletto cable by doing this:
http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=321.0

Or you can buy a Galletto cable off of eBay for $25.

Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
phila_dot

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 04:51:57 PM »

Thanks Tony. Galletto cable should be here before the weekend.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »

I noticed your log file was from version 1.4.2.2 or something. You could download version 1.6.1.0 and see if that helps you connect.

phila_dot

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »

Galletto cable arrived but....
What is the secret to get this thing into boot mode?

I am following Notorious VR's write-up on AZ. It's not exactly clear to me what "ground" the pin means. I am flashing in the car and connected a wire from the strut to the pin, had my wife turn the ignition to on and removed the wire about 10 secs later. Galletto tells me boot mode not initialized. Also tried from the batteries negative terminal. Same thing. Forgive me as my backround is in data and not electronics.

I have read elsewhere to apply a 1k ohm resistor to the pin. Is that what I am missing?

Can someone give me directions for dummies to get into boot mode?

Tony, I have since updated to the current version of NefMoto and have gotten the same results as previously.

kls

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »

Grounding the pin does in fact mean connecting it to the battery negative/ground etc. I am not sure how well getting into boot mode will work with the ECU in the car as the car is always supplying some power to the ECU.
Do you have a picture of your ECU PCB? I know with the ME7.1.1 boards I am using a jumper must be removed from the bottom of the board before boot mode can be enabled.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »

something like this. hold button or short pin to ground while powering up the ecu

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »

I am not sure how well getting into boot mode will work with the ECU in the car as the car is always supplying some power to the ECU.

holding the pin to ground while turning the ignition from off to on works.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: